HS40 lighted flywheel

copyman

Hi,

Does anyone know if 2 of the 12 flywheel magnets are weak would cause any issues like low voltage output and dim lights? Only 2 magnets are weak the other 10 are very strong. Part #610769A

Also is there a way to make weak magnets strong again?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I have no idea about weak vs strong. Are you using a gauss meter to check them? Is this an early flywheel with embedded magnets? If the answer is yes they can be re magnetized. You need a magnetizer to do it. If you have any place that does magneto repair around, they have that equipment. If your flywheel has ceramic magnets that are glued on then you can replace them.

copyman

I have no idea about weak vs strong. Are you using a gauss meter to check them? Is this an early flywheel with embedded magnets? If the answer is yes they can be re magnetized. You need a magnetizer to do it. If you have any place that does magneto repair around, they have that equipment. If your flywheel has ceramic magnets that are glued on then you can replace them.
Thanks for the reply. Yes it's an early FW with embedded magnets. Checked the old fashioned way by putting a screwdriver a few inches away from each magnet and very easy to see if any are weak.

I will check a magneto repair shop unless someone replies that 2 out 12 magnets shouldn't cause issues, then I will just leave it alone.

Which brings me back to original question, "can a few weak magnets cause lower voltage / dim lights"

cfh

the 610769a tecumseh flywheel is notorious for weak magnets. i have one that when installed on an otherwise good HS40 engine, it just won't run right. i have a Gauss meter and the magnets definitely were too weak (using another working flywheel for comparison.) I wish i knew some way to re-charge the magnets, but have not found any info on this. because right now, forget the lights... the engine won't *run* decently with these weak magnets.

copyman

Thanks for the replies.

sparkwizard, Yes the voltage is low even at high RPM. I measured with good volt meter. My experience with H50 & HS40 lighted engines has been, it's normal to have low voltage & dim light at idle, voltage / lights increase with RPM's. This is first time I've seen voltage stay low at high rpm's. It just happens this FW has the 2 weak magnets and reason I asked question in OP.

cfh, Thanks for that info. I thought the coil / magneto for spark plug is for how engine runs and separate of two coils on stater that are only for head & tail lights? The coil on this rebuild is OEM. The stater is rebuilt & tested by a guy I've bought many from. Wish I had another flywheel to test but as you know they are very hard to find now a days.

cfh

the screwdriver test is ok but does not give enough info. really need a gauss meter. yes they are expensive. but like i said, this flywheel gets weak magnets. it will effect everything. only two magnets actually *need* to be Ok, so you get spark. but if you have two weak magnets, pretty much the others are soon to follow. just wish someone had a procedure to recharge the magnets. i don't know how to do it...

Speaker reconning places have the equipment to recharge alnico as well but not sure you could do it with it in a flywheel while magneto repair places should have the correct equipment. I thought I once read something about using neo magnets to recharge a alnico magnet but cant find anything about that at the moment.

cfh

wow i have questions. so he used a north/south magnet to determine the flywheel magnet poles. but why? i don't see any relevance that had in the whole process (did i miss something?)

so the arc welding some how strengthens the magnets? was the wet rag just to protect the flywheel? does the steel that was being arc welded need to touch the metal on the flywheel? or is it just the magnetic field from the welding that helps the magnets?

i mean i have an HS40 alloy flywheel with weak magnets. it's essentially useless. so i'm willing to try this procedure. but would like to understand what is happening/required to make the welding trick work on the magnets.

Triley41395

wow i have questions. so he used a north/south magnet to determine the flywheel magnet poles. but why? i don't see any relevance that had in the whole process (did i miss something?)

so the arc welding some how strengthens the magnets? was the wet rag just to protect the flywheel? does the steel that was being arc welded need to touch the metal on the flywheel? or is it just the magnetic field from the welding that helps the magnets?

i mean i have an HS40 alloy flywheel with weak magnets. it's essentially useless. so i'm willing to try this procedure. but would like to understand what is happening/required to make the welding trick work on the magnets.
I'd love to help but I have no clue. I'm not sure how to do it but contacting the guy who made the video could help.

I call BS. The magnetic field around that arc may or may not even align with the poles on those flywheel magnets.
He randomly welded a bead PAST both magnets. Nope, sorry, not buying any of that.
There MIGHT be a difference in the nuts picked up, but why would I believe they are both the same flywheel?

cfh

i'm with you on this tale. after all, we did not see him try and start the engine before the welding trick. as for contacting the video guy, i think there would be a language barrier, as his descriptions are in a foreign language.

i'm having a hard time seeing how this would work. BUT i am willing to try it, just need more info on how exactly to do it. i have a gauss meter, so i could measure the magnets before and after. much better than the picking up random nuts technique he used. i just don't understand the welding part. does the metal welding plate need to touch the flywheel? how close do you need to be? is it just a standard arc welder? (i believe those are AC volts.) is the wet rag just to keep the alloy flywheel cool, or does it serve some other purpose?

I'm sure the wet rag was to prevent weld spatter on the flywheel.
Do both of those magnets face the same direction? Like, is North oriented the same way on both magnets?
If so, a strong electromagnet aligned with them and left overnight might wake them up. Maybe?