Recent content by Bear05

1. Bear05

Is this normal for a fresh chain?

Oh that offset link is exactly what I'm needing, if I pull out a full link the chain will be too short. I'll move the engine back or forward to take up some slack, I've been needing to get a full tensioner though. I was just using the pipe for testing lol. Thank you guys!
  2. Bear05

Is this normal for a fresh chain?

I finally am in the testing stage for my minibike, and today while I was taking it up and down the street I saw this black grease or oil by the chain. Everything on the bike is brand new including the engine, so I'm guessing it's being slung off either the chain or the clutch. Is this a normal...
  3. Bear05

Fixing scratched Briggs piston?

Sorry I'm replying to y'all so late, I actually sold the motor just last night. I've got a predator on it now but if I have another project pop up I'll give you guys a message.
  4. Bear05

I'll probably check the oil level every hour or so, when I pulled the engine apart this last time there was a fair amount of oil left on top of the piston. Thank you!
  5. Bear05

Also one more question for y'all, how much oil does a flathead take? I've seen some people say its a quart or more, but I know in the manual it says 0.63 quarts.
  6. Bear05

I didn't realize that the bore was that far gone, I guess I'll let it ride with some thicker oil for now. I've seen 5 horses pop up on Marketplace for 40 to 50 bucks before so I can keep an eye out for one. Either that or I'll put it back together and sell if for a couple bucks. I've already got...
  7. Bear05

I would be interested in trying something different, hence the reason I wanted to go old school with the Briggs. That said as far as price of parts and reliability goes I haven't found a better option aside from the Predator. Just for the heck of it I checked the website for my local Harbor...
  8. Bear05

Here's pictures of the bore and piston, both have been cleaned up with a scratchpad but are still far from perfect.
  9. Bear05

Sorry for responding so late, I checked it and it's definitely aluminum or some alloy. The only thing the magnet stuck to was the pull starter housing. I'm guessing it's a Kool-Bore then?
  10. Bear05

I was wanting to do that, I saw another thread on here talking about that. I saw the guy say this (299742) was the part # I'd need, would that work or should I hone the cylinder then measure?
  11. Bear05

I'll have to check when I get back to the house. I was wondering about the Lucas stabilizer though, does that stuff work?
  12. Bear05

I've been working on a Briggs 5hp flathead for a little while now, and since I've owned it I know the wall of the cylinder and sides of the piston are pretty bad scored. The engine still runs pretty good, but when you take off from a stop it smokes quite a bit. It looks like the guy I got it...