New carb missing Welch plug?

What is this gaping hole here on the left under the bowl on a new nos carburetor I got today? Shouldn't there be a Welsh plug covering this? Before I pop one in I just want to make sure the newer carbs didn't come with this open. Thanks

Yes its missing a plug.
Swap the one out of your old carb.

This well is just for the vent.
At worst the carb will slobber a bit of fuel out of the side of the casting near the priming inlet.

Looks like a Chinese carb.
Sad thing is the Chinese make significantly better parts than the OEM.

It's obvious you've never replaced a Tecumseh carburetor with a Chinese one. Extremely poor casting in comparison, so poor that I had one in which the hinge pin for the float wouldn't hold the float. Casting was missing.

Yes its missing a plug.
Swap the one out of your old carb.

This well is just for the vent.
At worst the carb will slobber a bit of fuel out of the side of the casting near the priming inlet.

Yeah ok thanks i'll pop one in tonight. No its actually American made nos part # 632230.

Maybe you got a bad one Dave.
I looked at them in great detail on the shelf at my local Tec dealer.
The quality of the casting is so much better that I will spend the extra to buy new ones.

Johny:
I know they have an American part number for reference.
There is always the possibility you end up with an actual carb, but Tecumseh went bankrupt.
The name, the trademark, all the technical information and tooling went to China.

If you see " Snow King " on anything now you can be sure its Chinese.
Liquid Combustion Technology owns all the rights and tooling, that is why so many of the obvious Tecumseh like features on the current Chinese snow blowers look so familiar ( the primer bulb is a dead give away ).

AS for NOS and engines, Certified parts Inc bought all the US engines and parts all the holding not tooling or non intellectual material is owned by that company.
They may be assembling engines from parts ( not sure if this is legal ) for resale.

Some Info.
http://www.tecumsehpower.com/comet/index.html
LPMain

Maybe you got a bad one Dave.
I looked at them in great detail on the shelf at my local Tec dealer.
The quality of the casting is so much better that I will spend the extra to buy new ones.

Johny:
I know they have an American part number for reference.
There is always the possibility you end up with an actual carb, but Tecumseh went bankrupt.
The name, the trademark, all the technical information and tooling went to China.

If you see " Snow King " on anything now you can be sure its Chinese.
Liquid Combustion Technology owns all the rights and tooling, that is why so many of the obvious Tecumseh like features on the current Chinese snow blowers look so familiar ( the primer bulb is a dead give away ).

AS for NOS and engines, Certified parts Inc bought all the US engines and parts all the holding not tooling or non intellectual material is owned by that company.
They may be assembling engines from parts ( not sure if this is legal ) for resale.

Some Info.
http://www.tecumsehpower.com/comet/index.html
LPMain
This one came with the box and says Made in USA. Its NOS. Not sure how old it is but its before the company went under. In any case, my experience with the Chinese carbs is the same as Dave's. It's hit and miss. Some you get for 12 bucks and you are happy as hell you got a working carb so cheap. But more of them you get and you feel hoodwinked. In my experience its more to do with the idle function than anything else. I often wonder if the idle passages were even in the casting. I stopped buying them and now would rather spend the 12 bucks on a rebuild kit and refurbish an old carb. Or like this one, find a really cheap NOS carb. This one I got for $12 and change + free shipping. Dealer was in Illinois.