New mini bike project- 1969 Gemini Maverick 80

Just acquired this bike yesterday at a swap meet for $50. Most of it is here, but the original 2 stroker was replaced with what appears to be a 5 HP Briggs from the 1970s, and a comet clutch. Not sure if Briggs or Tecumseh engine, as I have parts for both, and there is no ID info on the block. The engine is missing pieces. Oddly, the carburetor i got with it is a mikuni, I assume from the 2 stroker.

Only major issue is the cracked aluminum triple tree, is that a hard piece to get? I would like to get more info and parts availability for these, and if it would be better to find a 2 stroker, or not, I do have a Tecumseh that could use a home.

Attachments

maverick1

That looks like a 50 that someone cut the engine brackets off of and welded a engine cradle on it. If you want to put the 2 stroke back on it I would get another frame.For $50 I would make it safe and put a 4 cycle motor on it and have fun.

That looks like a 50 that someone cut the engine brackets off of and welded a engine cradle on it. If you want to put the 2 stroke back on it I would get another frame.For $50 I would make it safe and put a 4 cycle motor on it and have fun.
Im not sure, but after a little more digging, it seems most likely thats the case. I was guessing based on the engine cradle, to be honest, I dont know too much about these bikes. I have to say, the welds look pretty good. also, i have pretty much decided on using a 4 stroke. Im probably going to stick the Tecumseh I was going to use on the cheeftah on it, and find something bigger for the cheeftah, considering i plan to put big ATV tires on the cheeftah.