79cc predator any good?

Is the 79cc predator any good? Looking for something to put on my bozo (temporary) till i get an hs50 or some type of vertical cylinder vintage engine over 3.5 hp.

Why are they no good? I've been considering a few for my local sales minis to avoid having to find vintage engines. I've been waiting to hear a range of experiences with the baby predator to see if it's a good move for me. I also wanted one for my daughter's DB, the briggs carb/tank went south and I'm tired of struggling to find a good carb for it. I think I'll buy one to try, only $100 and it can be taken back if it sucks that bad.

I have a db30s with a small 97cc 2.5 HP has jackshaft kit has 14" tires just to zip around the yard....i weigh 190..without low gearing ok for riding the flats if rider is less than 150 lbs..or tires are 10"..had a 79cc lifan on another bike..is about the same....the bozo is a small bike with small tires so a small engine would be OK to putt around without a jackshaft

I'm wanting specific feedback on the baby Predator though but thanks for your feedback anyway, I hate the straight up and down OHV lifan and other brand engines and have never had luck with one. I'm looking for a viable alternative to the small briggs engines without overpowering a minibike with a 212cc engine plus they don't fit many of my frames without looking cartoonish since many are small frames. I hope someone can give me a good breakdown of one before I buy one but again it's only $100 or so and returnable. I think I'll just buy and try one.
I have a db30s with a small 97cc 2.5 HP has jackshaft kit has 14" tires just to zip around the yard....i weigh 190..without low gearing ok for riding the flats if rider is less than 150 lbs..or tires are 10"..had a 79cc lifan on another bike..is about the same....the bozo is a small bike with small tires so a small engine would be OK to putt around without a jackshaft

The bicycle forum guys seem to like them. I'm not sure why the 99cc version died off and the 79cc one came along. It's the cheapest little engine going, besides the Chinese weed-wacker mills.

CarPlayLB

I only say no 'cause I think its too small and there are other options out there. I have a couple 212's and they are decent engines and a great bang for the buck, but why not find an HS40/HS50?

Yeah...I looked on eBay if you really want hs50s I see some. not sure what shape they are in or shipping....depends if you want the charm of vintage look..a 79cc small putt putt or a blaster like the 212 pred :p

Last edited:
Ive built a few minibikes and my first one i had a hs50 that i blew up. Ive had a brand new 212cc sitting in the garage that last night i traded for an old briggs 5hp that has been completely rebuilt, for the bozo i believe that should be enough to putt me around. I just gotta finish up the little things that take forever... Everyone knows how that goes. But then again ill have a nice minibike that i can patrol the neighborhood pissing the neighbors off once again.

I have used 2 of the 79cc engines on my nephews minibikes. They work fine with a 10 and 72 tooth combo and small tires. Any tire over 13 inch no torque.with an adult buf for kids there fine.