Powell Challenger Tire Question --2 or 4 ply Carlisle?

I see Carlisle has a 2 and 4 ply tire that should fit this machine. Does anyone have experience with the 4 ply? Original worn out Generals seem to be a really stiff sidewall, and I was thinking the 4 ply would be a better choice for stability and flat prevention. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

6doggie3

New member with a Powell!
Post a pic of your Challenger the members here like to see pics I know I do!
Might get more responses?

CarPlayLB

4 is always better than than 2. Get the four ply tires. Bigger bike, lots of sidewall, you can thank me later...and let's see that Powell!

I guess I caught the Powell Bug

I was cleaning my father's garage and I uncovered my old Powell mini bike. My dad purchased it for himself somewhere around 1970 from the Powell factory in Southern California. We used to ride it in the Pomona hills (before it had any houses). It has stayed in the family the entire time. It came with us when we moved to San Jose. I used to terrorize the neighborhood on that thing. My best buddy Steve pulled a "whiskey-throttle" when he slid off the rear seat trying to pull a wheelie in my parents back yard. He scattered my mother's wine barrel planters like bowling pins and almost went thru the fence. Anyway, that explains the bent forks and broken frame. (My buddy was ok, except for a bruised ego) It sort of fell into a state of disrepair after that, and we moved on to full size motorcycles. Thankfully we never got rid of it. When I came across it in my dad's garage, I just figured that it was time to bring the beast back to life. So, its on!

Attachments

6doggie3

I was cleaning my father's garage and I uncovered my old Powell mini bike. My dad purchased it for himself somewhere around 1970 from the Powell factory in Southern California. We used to ride it in the Pomona hills (before it had any houses). It has stayed in the family the entire time. It came with us when we moved to San Jose. I used to terrorize the neighborhood on that thing. My best buddy Steve pulled a "whiskey-throttle" when he slid off the rear seat trying to pull a wheelie in my parents back yard. He scattered my mother's wine barrel planters like bowling pins and almost went thru the fence. Anyway, that explains the bent forks and broken frame. (My buddy was ok, except for a bruised ego) It sort of fell into a state of disrepair after that, and we moved on to full size motorcycles. Thankfully we never got rid of it. When I came across it in my dad's garage, I just figured that it was time to bring the beast back to life. So, its on!
Kool story ! Check the model # stamped on top of frame rail near the steering neck! Looks like it is a D model?
It looks like you have part of the throttle quick disconnect do you have the motor?

Thanks for posting that photo. There are a few of us still hanging around this site who have messed with the Powells. Looking at that rear tire, this one got ridden!

george3

1969 Powell Challenger Model D 5HP briggs. Cool bike. Your frame is buckled a bit from the accident. Top bar is tweaked a bit, and the two uprights are pushed in a bit. Still have the 69 Briggs and the other parts?

Serial Number is 3755-D from what I can make out. Original engine, exhaust, clutch is long gone, sadly---but who would have known? We did replace the original Briggs with another 5 HP Briggs that is down to the bare block in my garage. I ordered another OEM tank, as the one that I had was full of rust, and someone had soldered a crack in the top of the tank so the gasket would never seal properly. The aluminum bore was a little scored from my constant high-rpm thrashing. So I did a quickie hone and ordered a .010 over set of rings that I will fit to the cylinder.. (does anyone know what the ring end gap clearance range is???

6doggie3

Real clean job Todd! I doing a model D build right now how about some detail about your restore?
Why did you go with the red color wasn't the blue the original color? Did you paint it yourself or
is it powder coat? Thanks Michael

Michael,
Red was the original color. I just stripped it and primed and painted using rattle can with a good 2 part clear over it. I regret not going the powder-coat rout. If you can, go for powder coating. Stripped it all down, straightened frame with bottle-jack. Welded the cracked down tube of the frame.Straightened the forks using my shop press. Took forks apart and inspected and re-greased (this was a bitch getting the little retainer ring in and out). The motor was pretty used up. I bought a new gas tank. Honed it using a brake hone and put in a .10 over ring set, and re-assembled with a new gasket set. New tires, new bearings, new seat cover, lots of paint. Re -build the busted up clutch cover with a epoxy and fiberglass. Had to fabricate part of the throttle assembly that was lost. Now its a runner. The white ball on the engine shifter is the Hurst ball off my shifter on my long-lost 69 Camaro that I had 30 years ago. The thing still wheelies like i remember. I looped it riding it down my street a few months after getting it back together. I guess i didn't cover the rear break good enough and may have had a beer or 2 in me at the time. Both me and bike survived, but I won't do that again. LOL