Dr. Shop Teacher's - "Lil" Indian Model 600 - (Vintage Class)

Thanks to the OldMiniBikes Community for again hosting this year's Build-Off. I thoroughly enjoyed participating in last year's event and look forward to seeing the progress of entrants this year. Special thanks to mrpat and Cheezy1 for again serving as moderators, as they do a great job and offer humor throughout.

The entry is my "Run-don't-walk-to-grab" Lil Indian Model 600 that I found for $50 in July 2016 in Gaithersburg, MD. The bike is a non-rolling basket case that had a severely rusted steel shell of a front wheel and a Tri-Star rear wheel. No engine was on the bike and the PO had added supports for a PVC fuel tank and shock absorbers.

A bit of research and some help from members dates this bike to the mid-60s. Since it had a 4" steel wheel, I suspect it's an early Model 600 which had steel wheels rather than the aluminum mags. The engine will be a period-correct 64-65 Briggs 3hp (one of the "cousins" in another thread). Members have already sourced the jackshaft plate (a re-pop) and the disc caliper. I was good for Santa so Manchester1 has me on her list. Other parts are on their way or stashed already.

My jumbo sized Boston Terrier is checking in on Lil BT perched on the engine. Those of you who witnessed the video of me squeezed on my Ruttman know it's going to be a feat for me to fit on the Lil Indian. That'll probably make America's Funniest Home Videos!:laugh:

The Dr. Is innnn. Thanks for participating this year. I thought you might still be healing up and miss it, but glad your in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This is gonna be good !!!
Hope so, though the competition will be tough!

The Dr. Is innnn. Thanks for participating this year. I thought you might still be healing up and miss it, but glad your in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Nope, wouldn't miss it. Too much fun doing it last year. May be a bit slower in getting things done but will be done!

Hey Pete!! Those Lil Indians are great looking frames!! Best sign Iv'e seen!! :thumbsup:
Thanks, I like the frame design, too. The sign was fun to do.

Good luck and Thanks for participating again.
Thanks Bill:thumbsup:

Hi Pete,
Will be watching your build. Especially the 2 speed portion.
Regards,
Joe51
Joe, sent an email with my plans. Your wisdom will be appreciated.

Nice! I'm sure it will be one of the nicest
Lil Indian's around...
We'll see....everything's gotta work. Thanks!

This is going to be sweet. I will enjoy watching your build. Nothing like restoring one of these Lil Indians back to their "original" glory. Love the sign.:thumbsup: That top rail, seat area needs a lot of work and I'm sure it will keep you busy for a while.:laugh: Good luck in the build off Pete.:thumbsup:

This is going to be sweet. I will enjoy watching your build. Nothing like restoring one of these Lil Indians back to their "original" glory. Love the sign.:thumbsup: That top rail, seat area needs a lot of work and I'm sure it will keep you busy for a while.:laugh: Good luck in the build off Pete.:thumbsup:
Thanks, Karen! Yep, a lot of flap discs to come on this one. My welder is going to love this project, too!

Pete , I'll have to call your Dr as I'm sure he or your wife have not cleared you to participate in these kind of Shannigans !!
Actually, my wife is quite happy with the project. My surgeon.....mmmmmmm....probably less so.:laugh:

Archaeology Dig

Spent the morning locating what is on the frame and what should be on the frame. Little bit of time was spent trying to figure out the original color. I also made note of the locations of the various missing pieces so that these can be replaced properly. You'll see them annotated.
Missing Seat Bracket

Missing Cable Stop

Missing Rear Fender Bracket

Missing Front Fender Bracket

Was the original color orange or was it a candy red?????

Removing Unnecessary Appendages

The PO had owned this bike forever and shared stories about how it had been used and abused. He had pulled it out of his scrap pile and was beginning to resurrect it when he chose to put it on CL. I removed the added tubing and cut off the extra tabs with the sawzall.

The angle grinder comes out next with flap disks to remove the remainder of the extras.

Should you need any specs on the sizes and locations just drop me a note. Two of my mini-matics are very handy for me to measure from.

Should you need any specs on the sizes and locations just drop me a note. Two of my mini-matics are very handy for me to measure from.
Yes, sir! I took measurements from the broken welds but I'll need a couple things like a good pic of what the cable stop is supposed to look like.

Wow, ambitious project!! You have my attention. :thumbsup:
There's so much stuff that had to come off....I hope I can keep the tubes fairly smooth.

I love to see before and after and everything in between of restorations. Keep 'em coming.
Thanks, I will.