OND's - Bonanza - (Vintage Open)

Ok... I can see it now! Grease fitting = head stem full of grease.

Then one day on a whim you take it to a little show and park it in the hot August sun... Only to return and see most of that grease has droooooled down the fork across the tire and wheel........ Leaving a puddle of embarrassing grease drool on the ground.

Oh, did I type all that??? I was just thinking it I thought...:lol::lol::lol::thumbsup:

Doug
:lol::lol::lol: RIFLMAO.... Thanks for your thoughts Doug....and I'll keep that in mind ! :laugh:

Got a little time to work on this Bonanza today...got the stainless shock bolts cut and fitted and snugged down with stainless acorn nuts. If you've never bought ss acorn nuts they where about $2.79 a piece..:xmas-smiley-016: Merry Christmas to me !
Now you know why I made my own. I'd hate to think what they cost for 5/8-18. Today I bought some chromed 5/16-18 shcs for my handlebar clamps @ $1.89 a pop. On the other hand, I could have got an aerosol can of Kentucky chrome for $4.99.:biggrin:

Hey PAP...that's Hill Billy chrome , and the price has went through the roof since my last build ! :laugh:

Thanks Nick...its getting there...:thumbsup:

Looking great so far. I'm loving those forks you came up with. Is there any kind of bushing inside the tubes so they slide easier with weight on them?

Then one day on a whim you take it to a little show and park it in the hot August sun... Only to return and see most of that grease has droooooled down the fork across the tire and wheel........ Leaving a puddle of embarrassing grease drool on the ground.

Oh, did I type all that??? I was just thinking it I thought...:lol::lol::lol::thumbsup:

............................:drool: Well thanks Doug !!! I walked by the Bonanza today only to see this....then I started LMAO...:laugh::laugh:

[MENTION=53722]FOMOGO[/MENTION]

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Holy cow Eric, when I saw 8 pages I thought it was near done, :laugh:

Doing some nice stuff there Buddy, Love them wheels and super job on the forks.

The big secret on Acorn nuts is to buy in bulk, I bet 100 nuts is a lot less than you think.

Also, if you did not Eric, I'd drill a 1/8" hole on the rear side lower spring cup.
The spring will hide it and it will allow any water to drain from the cup. ( just a thought )

Hahaha....Thanks Cory....and not quit done yet....as far as the acorn nuts, I would have to take out a second mortgage to pay for a hundred of those little fellows. :laugh::laugh: Point taken on drilling the hole and good Idea ! :thumbsup:

............................:drool: Well thanks Doug !!! I walked by the Bonanza today only to see this....then I started LMAO...:laugh::laugh:

[MENTION=53722]FOMOGO[/MENTION]
Embarrassing drooool :eek:hmy: and its still cold weather..... Just wait till summer comes. It might need a diaper..... :doah:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Are you ready to Cry OND :crying: I checked with My Dealer for 5/16 Stainless steel acorn nuts.

Are you sitting down?

0.50 each ,

You do not need to buy a box of 100.

An Trust me Bolts are a good price to. Mind you that does not include Shipping.

Last edited:
Progress on this Bonanza doesn't seem to be moving along to fast.:no:...but I got a little more done this morning. Starting with the rear swing arm....a good cleaning up and new pivot bushings from my local hardware strore.

Also picked up some new eye bolts for the rear wheel adjuster...either had to go smaller or bigger on the ID size of the eye. I went with the 3/4 eye let size so I could get them with a 5/16 threaded end instead of a 1/4 threaded end. I ended up cutting about a 1/4 '' out of the eye and used my trusty vice and the 5/8 bolt shoulder to modify the eye.

Also replaced the front wheel bolts with these studs and acorn nuts. Studs were a bit to long so I did have to cut them down about 1/4'' off the long side.

Still have to come up with a braking system for this ride and could use a 4 1/2'' rear drum/shoe brake set up on the sprocket....but I don't like really like the stopping power of this system.

Last edited: