stovetop19's - Mini Stunter 125 - (Anything Goes)

Here is my entry photo for the 2017 Build off, Anything Goes Class.

This photo contains the wheels (blue rims), the busted up KLX125 donor/parts bike from which i will be using the engine, chain, and possibly some of the frame tubes and or mounts once I cut it up. I will be building a custom frame and forks for this build(still shopping for the steel).

The end goal is to have an old school looking mini bike frame, with added crash protection (built in or bolt on stunt cage) with hydraulic front and rear disk brakes, that will be fun to do wheelies and stunts on and be able to take a beating.

Wish me luck!!!:thumbsup:

Does the engine have a clutch/gears? Very cool project, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I have been looking at busted up dirt bikes on CL to find an engine for my first scratch build..

This should be a cool build :thumbsup: I can't wait for the ride video !
Thanks! Ive got a youtube channel full of me riding different motorcycles, doing wheelies, and tinkering with stuff, Im hoping this will be a great addition to my channel as well as a fun build for everyone to follow!

Before I get back to work today, I was able to locate a steering stem bolt to my liking. So far everything on this frame as far as strength is overkill, but I'm getting all of my specs and measurements from well known and well built bikes and putting my own twist on it. The steering stem bolt is 3/4" x 8". Here is the pics of the bolt and the tubing it will be going through, its a great fit, and since the bolt and steering stem are so long, there will be minimum free play:thumbsup:

Attachments

Last edited:
The KLX/DRZ engine is like small block Chevys. 100-230 Suzuki, and the couple years of cross-building with Kaw, are all essentially the same engine. Plenty of hop up goodies.

I'd have been tempted to use the neck off the bike frame, bearings, stem, clamps. Maybe even lace a little rim to the stock hub like the 150R Motarders do?

Nice build so far! Just wondering why steering bushing instead of bearing setup? Stronger for stunting?
I'm going with a bushing set up for simplicity only, that and it only cost me like $10 for the steering set up. I was tempted to used the front end off the dirtbike by just cutting the steering stem off and using the whole lot, but I've always wanted to do a full scratch build so here is my chance.

The KLX/DRZ engine is like small block Chevys. 100-230 Suzuki, and the couple years of cross-building with Kaw, are all essentially the same engine. Plenty of hop up goodies.

I'd have been tempted to use the neck off the bike frame, bearings, stem, clamps. Maybe even lace a little rim to the stock hub like the 150R Motarders do?
Your right, Kawasaki and Suzuki shared alot of different bikes, atvs, and utvs for the years of 2004-2006ish I think it was. I'm a Kawasaki and Suzuki certified Tech so when I saw this dirt bike on Craigslist, I knew it was the one :thumbsup:

I had a Suzuki Dr200 for a while, and you're also right there, that engine shared alot of components with the other dirtbike/dual sport bikes in the smaller CC air cooled group.

And I LOOOVE super motos, I have had a hopped up Drz400sm and a little converted Suzuki Jr50. On this build I'm just going to stick with the 12" and 14" rims i have and possibly swap the tires out with some sport scooter tires if I get the itch for a better look. I'm also trying to keep my cost as low as possible:eek:ut:

Ok, so I've settled on a design that I really like, I will have to make the frame a little taller since its about an inch short for the height of my engine. The extra frame parts you see off the rear and near the neck of the frame are what are going to make this a "Stunt Mini". The rear part is a 12o'clock bar, foot hold, and rear pegs for standing on as well. The front part is more of a crash cage to help prevent damage to the bars and controls in the event of a hard drop/crash on its side.

If yall see any issues or have suggestions, feel free to comment on it.

mini stunter 125 drawing.JPG

Build Day 1

Build day 1 is complete! I will be doing build videos on my youtube channel, stovetop19 - YouTube , in addition to the build here on OldMiniBikes. If the build interests you, feel free to watch the videos as well, I will post links for each video here as I get them uploaded.

So what I have accomplished on day 1 is....

1. Set up my wheel base, I've decided on a 42" wheel base, since this is what the honda grom uses, those little bikes are very stable at high speeds, yet can be thrown around in corners, and be used as a little stunt bike.

2. Got my steering stem cut to length, factoring in the width of the triple tree plate thickness.

3. Since this motor will be mounted in a fixed position, unlike a gokart/mini bike engine, I had to come up with a solution for adjusting the chain free play, I have done this by making the axle plates adjustable just like a motorcycle would have. The chain adjuster mechanisms have yet to be built.

4. Created wheel spacers for the rear wheel.

5. Created wheel spacers/axle/fork mounts for the front wheel.

6. Cut the fork tubes, they are cut long, as I'm not sure of the length they are going to be yet. Then dry fitted them to the front axle, still need to weld them up.

If you would like to see the video, it is available here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6OB39jDdy0

Attachments

Last edited:
Build Day 2

Got a little bit more done today!!

1. Was able to finish up the the fork tube ends/axle mounts. Got them welded up and then ground down to look a little better.

2. Got the triple tree/clamps roughed out, they aren't welded up yet, but needed to get them assembled and loosely installed to give me a better idea of what frame tube lengths are going to be.

Feel free to comment and or point out anything that yall would do differently!!

Check out my photos for the progress, or feel free to check out my video below:thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccr_u_WQ5qg

Attachments