Chain Linkin's - DB Dirt Racer - (Chinese Class)

Glad I inspired you and you pushed me to finish the bike. No cat grill yet, but working on it
Whoo! Can't wait to see it!

Thank you! Your build is coming along nicely as well.

I'm loving that louvered fender idea. Just a heads up if I ever find the baja I want to chop up I'm stealing it, full credit to you.
You'll have to catch it first lol. There are from an old furnace grille; I'm some like that would be fairly simple to source. :thumbsup:

Ahh I see. So you don't use one of those billet aluminum mount plates then?
Yeah that's sweet that you can get aftermarket DB 30 rear sprockets but the stock ratio one should be fine right?
No, I didn't use any plates. The less pieces on the bike the less likely things are to go wrong. Stock gearing will be fine. Were going to try and get time on an oval track so I'm just preparing for the future. they are also really cool also haha

Last edited:
Like I mentioned above, I have started on some components that will be added during the rebuild.

Here is my rear new fender. The first order of business was to extend my rear fender. My end goal is to build some mud flaps to replicate the style of old rally cars. Here is what I have done so far:

The two parts were butt welded with braces on the under side (Thank you SidePocket) After cleaning up the joints I removed the middle section of the fender and added a strip from my old furnace cover.

Originally I had planned to weld this but I decided on rivets - true dirt track style. I do plan on giving this bike a new coat of paint but right now I am really enjoying the "furnace green" and primer red...:laugh:

Test fit up - you can see in the top of the picture where the original fender sits. Can't lie, this modification was inspired by FatBoy04's build off bike from last year. (if he sees this - let me know if that project was ever finished :thumbsup:)

It looks really dark in that garage... need more lights?

I have to get me some work lights... Having just moved to my house in March, I'm currently in the middle of renovating the garage. (thus the lack of mini bike action) [MENTION=55741]SIDEPOCKET[/MENTION] came out over the weekend to help me get some new lights up before I start mudding/painting the walls and ceiling.

Also got some steel cabinets that I started to clean up and repaint (in hindsight it would have been a good idea to wait until the spring to do that...:blink:)

ACTUAL MINI BIKE UPDATE: In regards to one of my previous comments - I received and email back from the fine people at Robertson Torque Tubes, called in my order and received my new header all in about a week. I'll post a picture later.

I also placed and order with OldMiniBikes for the doodle bug sprocket adaptor and some other bits. I have to say, amazing customer service, I originally used the "live chat" feature on their website to inquired about when the adaptors would be in stock, I received an email the next day. There was some time (2weeks-ish?) before the item was restocked but during that time I received a few emails with updates on the product status. Outstanding, I was really impressed. I think the guys and gals at the Canadian Customs office are impressed too because they have been holding on to the package for about a week now - processed for further inspection.

For anyone following along who didn't read the first post, I haven't been able to start this project because I need to race the bike one more time. (hopefully this Sunday) So in the mean time I have been assembling parts and information to make the most of my remaining time. One idea I had was a cart for maintenance and storage. Since we cut the kick stands off the bikes are a bit of a pain to move around and store. have a look.

Reattaching the picture from above (reorganized my photo bucket account). The weather hasn't been great for working on my mini over the last month so i have been working on my garage instead. I plan on getting to the bike shortly, hopefully this weekend. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah, me too, this weather has been such a tease...and of course, now that I actually have a free weekend to work in the garage it's back to -10 and 2" of snow.

So I finally made some time to work on the mini. I have been putting new drywall up in my garage for the past few weeks. My current situation only allows me a few hours on the weekend to work on it, thus the lengthy delays between updates. I was hoping to start grinding/cut my frame today but by the time I cleared enough space I couldn't be bothered. Instead I did this. Polished up the clutch guard and added some stickers. I couldn't get it to a mirror finish but I'm pleased with it. Just waiting for OldMiniBikes to restock their simple website decals before I give it a coat of clear and hide it somewhere safe until final reassembly.

Mini bike progress! Baja mini bike mods 101 - Shave off all of the reflector brackets.

After fitting up the fenders I will remove the original brackets also. I'm still on the fence about the rear reflector.

This Friday was my drop dead date on this build. I have plenty of tools to take things apart but nothing to get them back together again. With some help from my good friend we added my new number plate brackets and relocated my foot pegs. We also added the new brackets to lower my fenders.

Thanks! The last three months were very unproductive due to the weather and my wife's schooling. I have come to terms that this bike wont be 100% finished by the deadline. The fuel tank I'm working on won't be finished on time but at least with these brackets welded on I'll be able to get the bike painted. I also went and bought a GX200 which will eventually be my race engine but the mods won't be done in time. The bike will be running but it will remain a continuous summer project.

Thanks! The last three months were very unproductive due to the weather and my wife's schooling. I have come to terms that this bike wont be 100% finished by the deadline. The fuel tank I'm working on won't be finished on time but at least with these brackets welded on I'll be able to get the bike painted. I also went and bought a GX200 which will eventually be my race engine but the mods won't be done in time. The bike will be running but it will remain a continuous summer project.
I'm sorry we wont get to see this one through the build off contest itself. You have a great start to it, with lots of innovative and original ideas incorporated. Please keep this updated, as you finish off the chassis and incorporate that Honda into it! :thumbsup:

I'm sorry we wont get to see this one through the build off contest itself. You have a great start to it, with lots of innovative and original ideas incorporated. Please keep this updated, as you finish off the chassis and incorporate that Honda into it! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the support! I guess trying to re-drywall my garage and this project at the same time was too much.

I'm hoping to at least get it painted by the end of the build off. Try to give everyone a good look towards the finished product.

Last edited: