T/C driver springs

I'm using one of the knock off 30 series drivers, and would like like it to engage a little earlier. I have to feather the throttle just to take off easy and most of the time it when it engages, it's faster than I'm used to. I know that Comet offers several springs for different engagement rpm's, but I don't know which one would suit me. The spring in it now has no color...anybody got an idea what rpm these engage at? Can anyone that's using genuine Comet parts tell me what you're using?

I'm aware of what the charts says, the problem is I don't know what spring is in it presently because it is not color coded. I don't have a tach, so I don't know where it is coming in at. All I know is when it engages, it comes in hard.

I'm aware of what the charts says, the problem is I don't know what spring is in it presently because it is not color coded. I don't have a tach, so I don't know where it is coming in at. All I know is when it engages, it comes in hard.
Well, you've got the Chinese Crapshoot springs. And weights. And shell angles. And friction surfaces. Etc.
Industry tolerances are in the 10% range, but on the knockoffs, it's what ever they have. There's a reason the cheapies are 1/3 the cost of a Comet. People still get plenty of use out of them, but a 3rd world copy of an entry-level CVT isn't going to have refined manners.

If it's abrupt, taking it apart, checking for burrs, cleaning and lubing it, may do what you want.

Buying a cheap inductive tach, that goes on and off easily, is also good for setting the governors on other equipment, and would eliminate speculation on the revs.

Best of luck.

There's a reason the cheapies are 1/3 the cost of a Comet. People still get plenty of use out of them, but a 3rd world copy of an entry-level CVT isn't going to have refined manners.
:thumbsup: Sometimes a belt length change is in order too, if the primary and secondary are not adjustable distance-wise. If I recall, Comet recommended an 1/8" gap between belt and bushing on driver. And I'd bet the system is not lubricated, or lubricated properly. My can of Comet dry lube has lasted quite awhile, but every time I use it, the difference is obvious.

And doesn't everyone say that a Comet belt is mandatory with these knock offs?

I never thought about the belt length, but I set the ctc distance for what the belt length was designed for. I 'll try moving the engine ahead slightly. Thanks Dave.