Anyone use ABS sheets for fabbing ?

I wanted to make side panels for my gote. first to keep fingers and toes out of chains and sprockets, but also to maybe knock some of the chain noise, and engine noise down a tad. I found sheets of ABS plastic. Smooth one side, pebbled on the other. 1/16 inch to 1/4. I know a lot of hot rodders use it for door panels and use plumbing ABS glue. Any easy way to smooth the cut edges? Or sand and beer? A few colors to pick from. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=abs+sheets&tbm=shop&spd=10772350189162261690&spf=1498926249519

Flame polishing will finish the edges. Get good enough and it will look like a factory edge.

A lighter weight plastic I've worked with (go kart and race car panels) is palight. You can pick it up at home depot or order it from lowes. It forms pretty easy with a heat gun and can be glued with pvc pipe glue.

Palight® Premium Foamed PVC Sheet - Palram Americas

For something like a gauge panel in a car I would use ABS but for interior panels I use the foamed pvc panels to save weight.

Last edited:
Flame polishing will finish the edges. Get good enough and it will look like a factory edge.

A lighter weight plastic I've worked with (go kart and race car panels) is palight. You can pick it up at home depot or order it from lowes. It forms pretty easy with a heat gun and can be glued with pvc pipe glue.

Palight® Premium Foamed PVC Sheet - Palram Americas

For something like a gauge panel in a car I would use ABS but for interior panels I use the foamed pvc panels to save weight.
Thx for the reply. I wondered about heat (propane torch?). I have smoothed edges on some clear plastic with acetone. Wondered if any solvents would work on ABS? Trying to figure out a slick way to mount side panels that wont vibrate off. Looking like Dzus fasteners are about only choice. Afraid nuts and bolts would vibrate off.

I've never tried any solvents so I'm no help there.

Dzus are great but costly. Honestly right now on my buggy I'm using zip ties, lol. Cheap and they don't vibrate loose. They aint gonna win anything in the looks dept at a show but they hold and are cheap.

I wanted to make side panels for my gote. first to keep fingers and toes out of chains and sprockets, but also to maybe knock some of the chain noise, and engine noise down a tad. I found sheets of ABS plastic. Smooth one side, pebbled on the other. 1/16 inch to 1/4. I know a lot of hot rodders use it for door panels and use plumbing ABS glue. Any easy way to smooth the cut edges? Or sand and beer? A few colors to pick from. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=abs+sheets&tbm=shop&spd=10772350189162261690&spf=1498926249519
I just used small gauge aluminum ( still in protective plastic sheet so I may polish it later) - endless shaping possibilities and the mistakes don't materialize as dramatically or as quickly as with plastic...

Attachments