Heald super Trike Conversion

MRMDX

Hello guys, i recently restored an old Heald Super Trike ( will put up Pics soon) and after i was done i learned some models have forward and reverse which mine does not have but i do have the F/R gearbox from another Heald Frame. i am curious if it is possible to put this gearbox on my trike sort of easily.

If you got all the bracketry and levers etc it should be relatively straightforward. I bet you can get someone to take photos of their setup to help you figure out how to proceed. Neither of mine have reverse but they sell a kit on Ebay to convert it using the Comet 40 series TAV, if it weren't $200 I'd look into it.

I do not but contact member "Chattten" by PM and ask him if he might have some photos. He could have a mechanical drawing even, he has a wealth of info on the Heald stuff. I've had two Super Broncs and am down to the Trykes now, one is a bench seat and the other a low slung seat with the stirrups on the forks.
Ok thank you ill look around but do you know anyone with the reverse setup?

The bench seat model has it's original 13hp electric start Tecumseh and the low seat model is without one currently, I buddy wants to sell me a Kawasaki mule engine and clutch for it really cheap. I'd rather sell the low seat model, it's in pieces and I'm not sure if I have another build in me.
Ok i will thank you, what motors do your trikes have?

1971_MB1A

I have what I think to be is maybe a Heald Trike that's somewhat rough in need of restoration but it's pretty complete. I will take a few pics and try to get them posted.

The bench seat model has it's original 13hp electric start Tecumseh and the low seat model is without one currently, I buddy wants to sell me a Kawasaki mule engine and clutch for it really cheap. I'd rather sell the low seat model, it's in pieces and I'm not sure if I have another build in me.
Oh ok, mine is a bench seat with an 11 horse electric start briggs, how many horse is the kawasaki?

The guy is unsure, it's electric start only and I'm just guessing at 11-13hp I'd have to look it up. I do know that it runs sitting on concrete and does not move just runs like a sewing machine and for $100 even if I don't use it I'll likely buy it. He had not set a price previously or I'd have it already. Has a 1" shaft and a huge clutch that looks like a golf cart unit.
Oh ok, mine is a bench seat with an 11 horse electric start briggs, how many horse is the kawasaki?

The guy is unsure, it's electric start only and I'm just guessing at 11-13hp I'd have to look it up. I do know that it runs sitting on concrete and does not move just runs like a sewing machine and for $100 even if I don't use it I'll likely buy it. He had not set a price previously or I'd have it already. Has a 1" shaft and a huge clutch that looks like a golf cart unit.
What do you mean by "runs sitting on concrete but does not move?

Sorry I was not more clear, it will start and run sitting on the ground and not jump around it runs so smooth. Got the wiring harness and it has a stator wire to run lights, even have the ignition switch and key. Thought about putting it into an old clapped out golf cart even, regardless I'm buying it.
What do you mean by "runs sitting on concrete but does not move?

Sorry I was not more clear, it will start and run sitting on the ground and not jump around it runs so smooth. Got the wiring harness and it has a stator wire to run lights, even have the ignition switch and key. Thought about putting it into an old clapped out golf cart even, regardless I'm buying it.
Oh make sense, sounds like a hell of a deal

The super tryke came with 4 motor choices 2 cycle JLO snowmobile style , 8hp Tecumseh , 11hp Briggs and 16hp briggs 2 cylinder opposed . There are 3 motor mounting plates made to align the torque converter. There is a special mounting plate you need for the reverse transmission and belt is different because the driven is on the input shaft of the trans . You will lose top end speed because of the gearing . Briggs motors where used because they had less vibration . Here are pictures of the ones I am working on .

1971_MB1A

yankee-bears,that is good information to know about the 4 different engine choices they used. I will have to check mine to see if it still may have it's original engine.