Muskin Dune Cat Find! (Help Needed!)

Finally, An update. The body was delivered today, and man, do the pictures not give this thing justice, Keisler was quick with responses, and I'm sure i had my fair share of waiting before sending the payments, but shes here, and a great fit for my height, thank you again Keisler! the frame looks nice and is a good start for rebuilding going off of its layout. And I'm excited to finally get a move on on this project. I'm a bit torn between getting a new engine and rebuilding the one that's in it, but I think I'm going to get a new engine for the one ill be using the most, and try to rebuild the one in the current frame and body, maybe as a backup, sell it, or as a cart for my future kids or friends to ride along with me.

Any tips or recommendations on what engine i should get would be greatly appreciated, will be posting pics of the new body soon, and will be giving it a cyan blue, small metal flake paint job.

I seem to be having a hard time attaching the pictures i took, i tried the three methods it gives but i cant seem to get any of them uploaded.

Go with a new engine ( maby electric start?) save old engine to keep it original. Less time wrenching more time riding. I still get smile when I see my kids drive off on their dune cat. Not so much when I have to go find them and fix it 01AC6E89-C483-4ED4-8C6A-8971D1D871ED.jpeg

Just sell me the Dune cat.. I'll find you a dune buggy.. or another kool toy..My wife and I are Car Dealers in Phoenix. If you want something fabulous, I'll be at Barrett-Jackson this year sniffing around. Please don't modify that nice example...Phxminiguy52
Sorry didn't see the final post of the altered finish project I have to admit it looks pretty good. Glad your kids are enjoying it my best to you. Of course I'd still be happy to find you another toy if you want one but I'm certainly not trying to

Sorry didn't see the final post of the altered finish project I have to admit it looks pretty good. Glad your kids are enjoying it my best to you. Of course I'd still be happy to find you another toy if you want one but I'm certainly not trying to
Sorry hit post early...
Not on here to sell vehicles or promote my business. .
I just wanted to preserve the the Old Cat..
Looks like you took on a hard to do project and saw it to the end.. I definitely admire that.. and you got your Kool toy when you were finished. Thumbs Up...well done..
Phxminiguy52

Go with a new engine ( maby electric start?) save old engine to keep it original. Less time wrenching more time riding. I still get smile when I see my kids drive off on their dune cat. Not so much when I have to go find them and fix it View attachment 236550
I'd really love to keep the old engine, but i think its so used and worn that the actual block is just... ruined i guess, ill keep it and see if i can restore it but even then, I feel it'd be much more time and money to try and fix it then to get a new one, And as for electric start, what kind of like 6 or 7 horsepower engine with electric start would you recommend? id love an electric start.

I'd really love to keep the old engine, but i think its so used and worn that the actual block is just... ruined i guess, ill keep it and see if i can restore it but even then, I feel it'd be much more time and money to try and fix it then to get a new one, And as for electric start, what kind of like 6 or 7 horsepower engine with electric start would you recommend? id love an electric start.
I ‘m not up to date with the types of engines

I ‘m not up to date with the types of new engines out there with or without electric start. For horse power the bigger the better. But remember it has to fit in the “engine compartment “. The starter may take up extra space as well. Be sure the “clutch “ can handle the extra power. When the kids are big enough to ride you can add a governor to slow them down. How well does it stop? I add two band brakes on mine. And extra frame supports as well

Attachments

The brakes are in good shape, and work fantastic, i think its just one band on mine. and as for compartment space, the measurements areeee...on the inside arch of the compartment where the body is, 11". on the outside near the end of the body, 18" , the depth is 17" and the height is 11"

That is for both my modified body from keisler and the original body.

The brakes are in good shape, and work fantastic, i think its just one band on mine. and as for compartment space, the measurements areeee...on the inside arch of the compartment where the body is, 11". on the outside near the end of the body, 18" , the depth is 17" and the height is 11"

That is for both my modified body from keisler and the original body.
Engine size

I’m old school in mesureing. I would buy a new engine cover it in 2 clear bags wrap in string (shrink wrap affect) set in go cart to see if it fits. If not cut plastic off an return to store undamage. Try again with a different size larger or smaller. If a larger engine fits (wider) but the belts don’t line up the shaft with the clutch pully & small sprocket- I forget it’s name- can be changed with a longer one. note- a shaft can be bought by the foot and are a “mild”steel so have it heat temperd to prevent it from twisting and test by sliding on gears, barrings before installing ( tempering May slightly distort the rod or key grove just sand or file) found that out the hard way. I wish I could of given you a shorter answer with the measurements you gave . Today’s engines are shaped differently than the 1970’s plus with an unknown starter location makes it even harder. Good luck l hope it helped

fantastic tips and information, thank you so much! im looking on buying a predator engine for the new body i got because that will be my offroad/speedster ride.

Your welcome for the tips. Another good tidbit is your front bumper it looks strong to protect the the body but not the front tires. With more speed & power “crap happens “. Smacking in to a tree,stump,or deep rut with the front tire will ether bend the “axle” or snap the steering ball joint. I found that out the hard way. If you look at the pictures I sent you will 2 holes at the nose. I had a pipe on my to project the tires. With the push bar you have it would be easier to add to it protect your ride. Good luck have fun & be safe.

Absolutely, i don't want to actually drill into the fiberglass, so i might have to do some tricky welding to get around that, but i was wanting to put an extra "bump bar" for my little speedster cart, the other one is for shows and such.

EDIT: I do see your holes you've put in the body, and that looks really good! great job on it, i hope to have a dune cat that looks as good as that someday :D