What white paint should I get for my 69 Tecumseh h35 restore

As it says in the post what color do I need for my 69 Tecumseh H35 white originally ..I have the balloon decals and having it rebuilt now , I just need to paint it the correct color or close. I'm good with a rattle can. Thank you Phoenix Mini Guy

delray

question for anyone. anybody tried low gloss automotive urethane clears. think i may try this in the future on a engine that I will be restoring to stock appearance. I have notes a lot when using the automotive urethane gloss clears they tend to be way to shiny(wet look). I do like using the urethane. keeps the gas off...…..

delray

mrpat,never use the spraycan stuff. always out of a spray gun,but I have seen some good results with 2K urethane can and for $20 bucks that's not a bad deal for guys that don't have a spray unit....air compressor...etc... still keeps the gas off...…….

As it says in the post what color do I need for my 69 Tecumseh H35 white originally ..I have the balloon decals and having it rebuilt now , I just need to paint it the correct color or close. I'm good with a rattle can. Thank you Phoenix Mini Guy
As always I can count on great advice here on OldMiniBikes. Thank you I'll post some pics of the old Hornet when she's done...Phxminiguy52

delray

I've used the cans like I posted above (except the glossy stuff) with great results. It's pretty cheap and I don't have to clean my gun.
I seen some spray can paint(colors) out there they claim you can spray that 2k right over it and not effect anything. that would be a good thing and with having the top coat a urethane. it would be hard to cheap,spill gas ...etc...

cfh

I did a whole thread about this stuff, a different way of restoring a motor than people are posting here. Basically i have all the removable stuff powercoated. It's like $25 (including sandblasting), and nothing will eat it. For the block i used a Home Depot spray can product, an epoxy paint. If you let it fully dry (about 48 hours), it resists gas very well.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/restoring-a-tecumseh-another-way.159401/

Personally i don't like spraying 2-part urethane paint. the stuff is just nasty. feel like it takes a year off my life. and it's a hassle and expensive.

Just something to think about. There's more than one way to do this stuff. cfh

markus

fisrt off, your guys should look up the word restore
question for anyone. anybody tried low gloss automotive urethane clears. think i may try this in the future on a engine that I will be restoring to stock appearance. I have notes a lot when using the automotive urethane gloss clears they tend to be way to shiny(wet look). I do like using the urethane. keeps the gas off...…..

why do you need low gloss, you restoring a late model engine?

delray

fisrt off, your guys should look up the word restore

why do you need low gloss, you restoring a late model engine?
maybe to avoid that wet look clear that most automotive urethanes give out. factory engines never look shiny and wet looking.
whats word restore mean comes to a Tecumseh . well where all wrong in a round about way if we are using urethane paint on a engine. tecumseh never use it......LOL
then again I wouldn't know nothing about painting a engine. i'm just a gear head.
look it's so pretty.

cfh

I'm with Delray on this. I don't like the shiny look either. Also it's harder to maintain and it shows scratches much easier (i use my bikes, they are not Autorama bikes.) I don't go completely flat, but a somewhat in between look. I also don't use water slide decals under the finish either. If they get scratched you're screwed. Instead i use vinyl decals over the finish. They are gas resistant and if damaged, i just peel off and install a new one.

I can't stress the nice qualities of powder coating the removable components over paint. The outcome is a lot better (for me at least). it's really not more expensive either. More durable too.

But in the end you should do what you like and what works best for you. There's no rules here.

Thanks everybody, lots of good comments great pictures of some Tecumseh and Briggs projects. Actually I'm not restoring that to show quality just having the tired engine rebuilt, new valves Springs ,piston piston Rod, Rings gaskets, new oldstyle carb, Etc due to the Rarity of a 69 H 35 wanted to keep it since it came on the bike.
Mark phxminiguy52

delray

bring up old thread guys. at first I wasn't going to post anything, but I thought this would be interesting to do and see how well it actually works.
i purchase a new mail box post support and it only came in a dark brown color and i wanted a white post.
only type of painting i have done all my life was using automotive paint and always had good results.
well i thought i would try something different and do something they say it can be done...yeah right...lol

first thing was to pull out all the parts and sand them with a 320 grit

then clean and clean the parts good for a white spray can job. first coat was a light coat and then two more coats. let that setup for about 2hrs or so and came back with one light coat of 2K clear and then to full coats.

I have to say I was very impressed how well it turn out. first I was surprised I had no reaction to the two part clear going on top of the white paint. clear coat comes out very nice out of the can. it has a good amount of spread pattern coming out. you could Easley spray a minibike fender and have the clear lay down nice and flat. if this holds up well over the winter with cold ice salt. this might not be a bad ideal to paint a minibike. especially for the guys that don't have a spray gun or a good compression..etc or even the money to spend the hundreds dollars of automotive paint etc...
for now we will see how well it holds up over winter. white paint was about $4 and the clear was around $20

old shed finds

maybe to avoid that wet look clear that most automotive urethanes give out. factory engines never look shiny and wet looking.
whats word restore mean comes to a Tecumseh . well where all wrong in a round about way if we are using urethane paint on a engine. tecumseh never use it......LOL
then again I wouldn't know nothing about painting a engine. i'm just a gear head.
look it's so pretty.
This is sweet in my dreams my 3hp looks like this.

Attachments