Amazon Engine Oil

Walmart/Amazon. Distributed by Warren as part of the their Private Label program, both oils are identical, and come from the same source. Neither are available for store pick up, so Walmart's $14 price tag is BS. No in store pick up.

Amazon Basics 5W-30 5 Quart $25.98
Walmart MAG 1 5W-30 5 Quart $26.95

Walmart/Amazon. Distributed by Warren as part of the their Private Label program, both oils are identical, and come from the same source. Neither are available for store pick up, so Walmart's $14 price tag is BS. No in store pick up.

Amazon Basics 5W-30 5 Quart $25.98
Walmart MAG 1 5W-30 5 Quart $26.95
Here is what I found Dave..
I don't doubt the store pick up issue though..

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...1-spons&keywords=amazon+basics+oil+5w30&psc=1

Interesting tests/video, even if low tech.

Super Tech is the Walmart private label (MAG 1 is a Warren brand name). From what I see, Walmart does not sell MAG 1 oil, the MAG 1 oil on the Walmart website is from other sellers (thus no pick up at Walmart stores). Personally, I don't care about in store availability because I buy online and have everything shipped. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon (104 orders in one year is my record!) and I also order some from Walmart. Walmart offers free shipping on orders of $35 or more. I've been a Prime member for several years so I get free shipping from Amazon (yes, there is a membership fee but it's a bargain, IMO, as you also get movies, music and exclusive deals). The prices I see on the 5-quart Amazon Basics full synthetic are $18.97 - $19.99.

I have noticed oil availability and price fluctuations at various times. After many years of using Mobil 1, I switched to Castrol Edge for my most recent oil change in my truck because, at the time, the Castrol was about half the price of Mobil 1 ($22.65 for a 5-quart jug of 5W-30 Castrol Edge full synthetic). Castrol is a brand I trusted for many years before I started using Mobil 1. I also switched from using a Mobil 1 oil filter to using a K&N, mainly due to the welded-on hex head feature of the K&N (much easier to use a socket and ratchet than a filter wrench).

I have purchased Amazon Basics products such as batteries and electronics cables, but, for a few dollars more, I'll stick with more familiar brand names for motor oil, even though the Amazon Basics may be just as good.

Here is what I found Dave..
I don't doubt the store pick up issue though..
Hey, while I was not "real" impressed with the "testing," you posting it and my subsequent curiosity made me aware Amazon sold a quality oil for cheap. I never would have considered buying oil from Amazon otherwise, so thanks for that.

LOL, I was thinking, it's no big deal to spend $9 for a bottle of VR-1 for a Tecumseh engine break in cycle. But my Dodge 440 uses around $60-worth of that stuff, and a diesel locomotive uses 250 gallons! No there is a cost break somewhere! :)

Ordered a jug of the Amazon oil today. Won't be using it in my truck because it's diesel and calls for Dexos2, but I'll def use it in my Mini Bike after break in. Thanks again!

I74

I wish he would of used Valvoline full synthetic.
Think that would of changed things up quite a bit if he did.
Hope everyone realizes that the Valvoline 10-30 he used is just ''non syn''. conventional.
Really don't think that was a fair test.
Last I checked on car manufacture requirement ratings on the containers, Mobil 1 was not endorsed on the Chrysler MS -6395 spec.
Valvoline full syn. is.

I74

Added,,
Valvoline full syn. even has it stated on the label of 50% more wear protection than their conventional oil.

That's a good observation, would have made a more level playing field for sure. Honestly the Valvoline didn't even need to be in the test for me though. Mobil 1 has always been a go to oil for my bikes. It's one of those oils everyone "compares" too. Seeing inexpensive Amazon oil holding its own against it was all I needed to see.

I74

Yea,, I don't even know what his thinking was with that …..
The Amazon oil does seem like a pretty good bang for the buck though.