Vegas Cart 460cc

i just built a 460 and it is smoking like crazy. i have only ran it a little bit because im not finished with the bike yet. did i assemble something incorrectly with the motor? thanks

i just built a 460 and it is smoking like crazy. i have only ran it a little bit because im not finished with the bike yet. did i assemble something incorrectly with the motor? thanks
Yes. Define "built a 460".
Oil ring expander overlapped instead of butted, head gasket leak to breather passage, compression ring upside down, would be the order of likeliness I'd assign.

Yes. Define "built a 460".
Oil ring expander overlapped instead of butted, head gasket leak to breather passage, compression ring upside down, would be the order of likeliness I'd assign.
i should say i assembled a 460, when i fire it up it starts right up, idles well, revs up well, if i let it idle for a couple seconds then rev it again it blows alot more smoke for a second then continues to smoke to a lesser degree. total run time has been less than 5 minutes.

i should say i assembled a 460, when i fire it up it starts right up, idles well, revs up well, if i let it idle for a couple seconds then rev it again it blows alot more smoke for a second then continues to smoke to a lesser degree. total run time has been less than 5 minutes.
vegas carts 460 10 bolt

The seal is on the intake valve, but when I assembled the motor in september the ring location wasn't specified in the pdf. You can see my post from September asking which ring goes where. So now I'm not sure which order I installed them in.

I staggered the rings 120° apart I remember that. Unless it is the face that I went a little overboard with assembly lube because I knew it would be over a month before I would start it. And the fact that I haven't even gotten it up to temperature yet. Looking under the valve covers are still assembly lube on the rocker arms, which means it is probably still in other places... Do you think that might be the issue?

chrisr

Time will tell, since like you said, you haven't even got it really warmed up yet. I was liberal with the straight 30 when I assembled mine and I got a little smoke when I first started it, but that was all.

I assembled the rings on the piston as I had done in the past without the knowledge of how they wanted the rings installed and at least in my case, was the same way they wanted it done. The manual was updated after I sent the author some things I found when using it and the lack of how they wanted the rings installed was one of the things. Overall the original manual was helpful.

Let us know how it goes.

Time will tell, since like you said, you haven't even got it really warmed up yet. I was liberal with the straight 30 when I assembled mine and I got a little smoke when I first started it, but that was all.

I assembled the rings on the piston as I had done in the past without the knowledge of how they wanted the rings installed and at least in my case, was the same way they wanted it done. The manual was updated after I sent the author some things I found when using it and the lack of how they wanted the rings installed was one of the things. Overall the original manual was helpful.

Let us know how it goes.
If I did have the rings in the incorrect order would it cause it to smoke alot?

chrisr

No, the top ring should be the chrome one since it will run hotter being at the top and second down the darker color and then the oil rings. The oil rings is very easy to get the spring retainer to overlap so care is needed.

The compression rings have a dot/mark and I installed those face up but it doesn't sound like it matters on these since they are square cut and not stepped. I checked the ring gaps on all the rings and they were all inline with other rings that I have installed.

65ShelbyClone

You have two options at this point: tear it down and see if you got it right or keep running it to see if it stops smoking. The only other common sources of oil are the valve guides (not likely here IMO) and the breather setup.

well i had it running for a good 5-7 minutes, smoking like heck. i put a camera down the plug hole the next day and there was a small puddle of oil on top of the piston along the cylinder wall... i will try to put a picture up. if i incorrectly installed the intake valve seal would it leak large amounts of oil into the cylinder?
Thanks

chrisr

Wouldn't think so, at least on a new engine. May want to pull the piston back out and insure the chrome ring is on top and the oil expander is not overlapped on itself as well as the rings are positioned like the updated pdf.

chrisr

The vc460 has the following for bore/stroke - 92mm Bore x 69mm Stroke (92mm = 3.62205in). If you put the rings one at a time in the cylinder by using the piston to push the rings down in the bore the chrome (silver ring) will have more end gap than the black compression ring. The oil expander should not be overlapped on itself however, cannot tell in your pictures and it may be just me, but in the pictures it looks like the chrome ring is in the middle and should be on top.

Attachments

The vc460 has the following for bore/stroke - 92mm Bore x 69mm Stroke (92mm = 3.62205in). If you put the rings one at a time in the cylinder by using the piston to push the rings down in the bore the chrome (silver ring) will have more end gap than the black compression ring. The oil expander should not be overlapped on itself however, cannot tell in your pictures and it may be just me, but in the pictures it looks like the chrome ring is in the middle and should be on top.
From the side it does look like the chrome is in the middle but it is not. The black coated ring is in the middle and the chrome one is on the top. You should be able to see better in a couple of these pics

Attachments

From the side it does look like the chrome is in the middle but it is not. The black coated ring is in the middle and the chrome one is on the top. You should be able to see better in a couple of these pics
It still looks to me like they're backward. Also for those wondering how the oil ring expander's ends were overlapped, the second picture shows they are not.