Crimping lower forks

Found old helpful post from Manchester from 2014 on crimping forks, he drilled a 7/8 hole in heavy metal plate, cut plate in half and used the half holes for dies ( he posted good photo if you search crimp forks in this category), but he heated up the fork bottoms and used a vice. Just discovered the lower forks on suspension K&S bikes are basically 13/16th tubing (not 3/4, not 7/8th). My question, if I made the plates like Manchester did (very ingenious), drilled 13/16 hole, cut them in half for the die, would I be able to press .120 wall tubing in a heavy hydraulic press without heat? Any help or info greatly appreciated. Posted similar request on another forum and got a lot of "big ass hammer" directions. which might work, but trying to make really clean, professionally looking fork bottoms.

Attachments

Thanks. was looking at dies, are about $550 for a set and they do what the half holes do on the metal plates. Guy named Fred at Metal Depot has been helpful, said he could probably round up some 13/16th tubing, not your standard size. So no problem with .120 tubing?

it doesnt matter if the hole is bigger than the tubing. In fact it doesnt even need to be a hole you can grind it out. Leave the tubing long so the die presses straight. Its also difficult to keep them aligned. I used 3/8" bolts then get bent. 1/2" or bigger would work better. I found i couldnt get them completely flat with the 20 ton press. Maybe i didnt press hard enough but i heated them at the end. I doubt 7/8" tubing is exactly 7/8" everything is nominal these days.

I found i couldnt get them completely flat with the 20 ton press. Maybe i didnt press hard enough but i heated them at the end.
I have found that a B.F.H. (5Lb mini sledge) and an anvil work great to make sure that the crimp is completely flat after flattening with the shop press.

I haven't tried yet, but I was reading that if you wax the dies or tubing before you smash it helps.

I have found that a B.F.H. (5Lb mini sledge) and an anvil work great to make sure that the crimp is completely flat after flattening with the shop press.

I haven't tried yet, but I was reading that if you wax the dies or tubing before you smash it helps.
Thank you, yours look great, how did you keep them straight- eye ball?

View attachment 241927 View attachment 241928

I've also used 1/2 schedule 40 pipe which has dimensions of .840" OD x .11" wall (real close to 1/8") without any problems with the shop press whatsoever.
Sooooo, looking at your first picture I noticed the blocks that you have your die welded to have "V" notches in them already, ever try those for end crimping?. I believe they come with the press if I'm not mistaken and would probably do a great job, worth a try anyhow.

Sooooo, looking at your first picture I noticed the blocks that you have your die welded to have "V" notches in them already, ever try those for end crimping?. I believe they come with the press if I'm not mistaken and would probably do a great job, worth a try anyhow.
I have not tried those, but I am sure they would work. The little blocks that I made are for a specific fork "crush". I wanted the final product to closely resemble the crimps produced on the Ruttmans, Harrisons, and Lil Indians.

PatrickCraik

The blocks with the V notches ARE THE DIES,unless Im missing something. Looks like a simple,effective way to make the fork ends.

Yours do look the part and very well I might add, the extra angle in your dies makes the difference, I was just wondering why nobody has tried the "V" notches in those base plates. PatrickCraik, I circled the "V" notch in the press plates of where I'm talking about, seems like a simple way for folks to flatten or crimp their tubing without a lot of fab work and making their own dies.

CRIMP01.jpg