Vintage Central cycle supply CCS

If you look at your first pic with both drivens side by side. Like you said the ramps are on opposite sides. Picture the belt grabbing the outside half. Spinning counter clockwise the 30 series is up against the ramp. The belt will grab and cause it to be against the ramp and move the driven forward. If you try to do thatwith the 20 series,the ouside half will spin until it hits the next ramp. This will cause the driven to open and your belt immediately drop down into the groove. You will be taking off in high gear with no torque. The spring may also come dislodged from the hole. If you replace the 20 series spring with the 30 series and clock it the same way the 30 series is setup so it sits on the correct side of the ramps it will work.
I know the basics about torque converters and that’s about it... very much appreciate the help @gumpit ... is there a spring you recommend I should buy?

I would go with a stock 30 series (red I think) unless you want it to shift at higher rpms then I would use the yellow spring
image.jpg for some reason I thought I needed to run a 20 series. How about this idea… Forget using 20 series and run this torque converter? Now that I am looking at torque converter’s more closely, it looks like 30 series we’re meant to have the driven running outboard.

https://www.gokartsupply.com/tcbelts.htm
That is a cat99(obsolete)not a 30 series(see cat99 on cover) it is basically the same as the 30 series that you would run the driven spring outboard but uses 5/8” belts and not 3/4” belts like the 30 series.
If yo have the correct belt then you could use it. But for the price of the new Chinese ones I would just run a new one. But its up to you. Im not sure what the cat99 belts go for or how easy they are to find any more.

That is a cat99(obsolete)not a 30 series(see cat99 on cover) it is basically the same as the 30 series that you would run the driven spring outboard but uses 5/8” belts and not 3/4” belts like the 30 series.
If yo have the correct belt then you could use it. But for the price of the new Chinese ones I would just run a new one. But its up to you. Im not sure what the cat99 belts go for or how easy they are to find any more.
Great info… I do have the correct 5/8 belt. I’ll probably start out running this one because I have it and buy another 30 series when needed . I made the mistake of going with a 20 series. You have been a big help!!

You have the correct belt for the center to center distance on the Tav backing plate but if you use the jackshaft for the driven without the backing plate you need to make sure the engine sits at the same center to center from driver to driven(on the jackshaft) as the backing plate distance.

You have the correct belt for the center to center distance on the Tav backing plate but if you use the jackshaft for the driven without the backing plate you need to make sure the engine sits at the same center to center from driver to driven(on the jackshaft) as the backing plate distance.
Looks like the belt is going to fit...if not, I will order a complete new 30 series, which I should have done in the first place.

Man...I am so happy you brought up the belt sizes for the cat99. Just measure the driver side and it needs the wider belt. It is not the correct driver for the driven. I will be shopping for a new 30 series set up with 6 inch driven. This has been extremely helpful, I learned a lot about torque converters!

image.jpg image.jpg Worked on the brake, gas tank and rear fender today. The rear wheel has 6 bolts on the sprocket side and another 6 on the brake side. Needed to find correct size spacers, washers, nuts and bolts… lots of measuring, drilling and trips to the hardware store LOL... Gas tank is fastened down.

View attachment 242805 View attachment 242806 Worked on the brake, gas tank and rear fender today. The rear wheel has 6 bolts on the sprocket side and another 6 on the brake side. Needed to find correct size spacers, washers, nuts and bolts… lots of measuring, drilling and trips to the hardware store LOL... Gas tank is fastened down.
Nice bike. Great work. Kinda makes me wish I had pulled the trigger on that Michigan CL CCS a few months back.