MTD Mini Bike

Hi everyone, just joined last night. I have a what looks like a MTD Trail Flite minibike but on the belt gard it has Teaxs Ranger and no had light. I have had this since I was 10 to 12 years old. 57 now. When I was 12 to 14 I broke the spokes on the rear wheel jumping it (dumb kid). Just this last weekend I started cleaning it up, checked compression and spark. Everything was good. Took the carb off and of course it needs cleaned. I have it soaking right now in apple cider vinegar as it is real good for a first soak for an old dirty carb like this, I have a Tecumseh carb kit coming for it.

So I am trying to figure out what to do about the gas tank. These had a rectangular polyethylene plastic gas tank on them and I have already found several cracks on mine (it is 46 or 47 years old).

My question, anyone that have these, what are you doing for replacement tanks? I would love to keep it original as it almost original (needs rear spokes) but I'm thinking of trying to replicate one as best I can in aluminum. Thoughts please.

Hi everyone, just joined last night. I have a what looks like a MTD Trail Flite minibike but on the belt gard it has Teaxs Ranger and no had light. I have had this since I was 10 to 12 years old. 57 now. When I was 12 to 14 I broke the spokes on the rear wheel jumping it (dumb kid). Just this last weekend I started cleaning it up, checked compression and spark. Everything was good. Took the carb off and of course it needs cleaned. I have it soaking right now in apple cider vinegar as it is real good for a first soak for an old dirty carb like this, I have a Tecumseh carb kit coming for it.

So I am trying to figure out what to do about the gas tank. These had a rectangular polyethylene plastic gas tank on them and I have already found several cracks on mine (it is 46 or 47 years old).

My question, anyone that have these, what are you doing for replacement tanks? I would love to keep it original as it almost original (needs rear spokes) but I'm thinking of trying to replicate one as best I can in aluminum. Thoughts please.
Welcome to the fun , post up some pics as it will help us help you !!

As far as the tank... Maybe start a new thread with the heading written towards a focus on it’s repair. Then search around for plastic welding methods, I’ve had some success there with a pistol grip soldering iron and donor plastic. Then maybe a post in the wanted section...
Just a thought. Nice bike

cfh

I've plastic welded an MTD tank before. Got the soldering iron looking plastic welder from harbor freight. it worked pretty well. looks not so great though. hopefully the cracks are on the bottom...

Thanks everyone, I was planning on plastic welding it as I knew there was a small pinhole from way back when but there are cracks all over this thing. I don't think it is fixable. There is a place on top that is crazed with cracks. It seems to be really brittle (OK I'll admit, I dropped it and that was the worst cracked but then I noticed the crazing). I'll look closer at it this weekend but not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I'll get some pics on here soon.

My MTD tank had a leak on the bottom, near the mounting ear. I sent it to a member here who fixed it right up for me.
But in the meantime I used a rectangular plastic gas tank from a mower and zip tied it on. It didn’t look that cool but it did work flawlessly. So if you just want to get it running and ride it, you can use a different tank while you are fixing your original.

My MTD tank had a leak on the bottom, near the mounting ear. I sent it to a member here who fixed it right up for me.
But in the meantime I used a rectangular plastic gas tank from a mower and zip tied it on. It didn’t look that cool but it did work flawlessly. So if you just want to get it running and ride it, you can use a different tank while you are fixing your original.
I thought of that and I have a bunch of old 70s and 80s dirt bikes. I looked to see if I had one that would work but no luck so far. I had an old Honda 50 tank that I think would have worked and look cool to but I had a kid buy an old beat up Honda 50 from me and I let him have the tank too. Wished I would have kept it now.

Thanks, it is filthy in those pics but I have already cleaned it up pretty well but it still needs more. I'll try to get more this weekend. I hope to have it running too.

That bike is so complete that is rare and it seems to be in good shape.
Coming here for advice is a smart move imho.
Members here are knowledgeable and friendly and ready to help

Hey fuzzier1...welcome to the OldMiniBikes...!

Nice bike, love those Earles forks.

If your tank is beyond repair, start a post in the parts wanted section, and include a picture of yours for reference.

We usually have good luck with finding parts in this community.

Have fun.

So I did get the carb kit in but it is the wrong one. Hard to see the numbers through the paint on the carb, should have asked here. I used what I could from the kit but used the old air screw on the side and the fuel screw on the bottom. Adjusted back to where it was so many years ago (unless someone messed with it while stored). Got it to fire yesterday but wouldn't stay running. Messed with it today and the longest I could get it to run was about 5 seconds.

I did find a genuine Tecumseh kit for it and have it coming. In these kits I see they have 2 convex shaped "caps", a small and a large one. The large one I see goes in the float bowl to make an anti slosh chamber/vent. What is the small one for? It looks like for the side of the carb just above the air screw but it is aluminum and looks to be fairly thick. Also what is everyone setting their 2 adjusting screws? I know mine will most likely be different in the end as I'm at abbot 5600 feet above sea level but just to see if I'm in the ball park.

Those caps are Welch plugs, there’s directions to install them I think I used a punch.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/diy/how-to-rebuild-a-tecumseh-carburetor/

Also there is always a sticky at the top of the Tecumseh forum that contains a link to the Tecumseh flathead service manual. It is a great resource, I refer to it often and it’s free.

The recommended settings for the high speed jet and the idle jet:
Thread both screws in all the way by hand, so the needles don’t get damaged from over tightening. Then back each screw out 1-1/2 turns, both of them.

That is the recommended starting point. Then you will have to adjust them by turning them in one direction until the engine starts to run crappy, then turn it the other direction until it runs crappy. The sweet spot will be between those two points. I think you are supposed to adjust the high speed jet first, then the idle jet. Then set the idle speed.
It’s all right here
http://www.tecumsehcarburetorguide.com/how-to-guide/
I have referred to this a lot also lately as I had a Tecumseh carb on my MTD that was acting up. She’s running fine now.

Your final settings will be different from mine like you said being so high above sea level. I am 212 feet above sea level according to google.

I rode my MTD today, engine ran great, bike rode great. Love these bikes.