Briggs & Stratton, Help !

whats the problem? bolt it on set the gap and its good. run the kill wire out if you want. leave the old points and stuff in there no problem

ugmold

Remove the old one. Put the flywheel back on. slip a business card in between the coil and the magnets to use to adjust the air gap, and you should be good to go.

These guys are right, just put the new coil on. Don't connect the old wire that goes to the points. I would leave the points in place just to keep the points plunger from leaking.

These guys are right, just put the new coil on. Don't connect the old wire that goes to the points. I would leave the points in place just to keep the points plunger from leaking.
Hello, we a new coil but it does not fit so I need the correct one for the 2hp do you have a idea which one it is ? The first photo is number 1 doesn’t fit , the second photo the coil won’t bolt. Thank you Marilyn

Attachments

Attachments

Do not attach the wire from the points to the coil. This should be a pointless coil. Always keep the plug wire grounded to the block when not on the spark plug. Turning the flywheel while the plug wire isn't grounded, can burn out the coil.

Do not attach the wire from the points to the coil. This should be a pointless coil. Always keep the plug wire grounded to the block when not on the spark plug. Turning the flywheel while the plug wire isn't grounded, can burn out the coil.
So the number 398593 is a pointless coil ?? The one you suggested me to order ??

Yes, they are called 'Magnatron' electronic coils. They use electronic sensors to know when to fire the spark. There is usually a connector on the coil for a kill wire that stops the motor when grounded.

So if it is how does it work ?
They work by virtue of something called induction. Think "electromagnet" where you wind a wire around a nail and hook it up to a battery and turn it into a magnet. Now think about it in reverse. You're rotating a permanent magnet through a coil of wires. That generates a tiny charge of electricity. The component in the magnatron that switches it all on is called a trigger winding, consisting of a Darlington transistor.

That electrical charge is then subjected to a transformer in the secondary coil which increases the voltage sufficient to fire your spark plug.

Any small wire coming off of the magnatron, is there to use as a kill switch wire. It grounds the coil, eliminating it's "voltage potential" thus preventing spark.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/magnetron-ignition-work-lawnmower-102463.html