Mega Moto...what's going on??

Fisher1983

So, this weekend I picked up a used MM-B212 (built in 2017) from a buddy. Overall good shape. The title/cert of origin is missing and I'd like a replacement. I also need the bronze bushing for the TC driver and the correct size belt. I called MM today to try and get answers, and no one answered. After reading a bit here on OldMiniBikes, it seems that MM has a bunch of out of stock models and they are not replying to inquiry. Does anyone know what's going on? Seems sketchy, like they're ready to close up shop. I'd hate to have a bike that I wanted for so long and have no parts/factory support......... Hoping someone can help :D

P.S. Good to be back after a break. The site looks great!

No idea. I brought that subject up recently. The sales prices are just about cut in half and the site looks dead. I know they are revamping to China but doesn't look good. I hope they still sell them later on, best bikes out there.

Something is going on, but I doubt anyone outside of MM knows what. MM has been out of stock of nearly everything while Walmart and Amazon have been selling MM bikes dirt cheap (which means they got them really cheap because they aren't going to sell them at a loss). I've Googled "mega moto going out of business" but found nothing. Good thing about minibikes is that many parts are generic. If they do go out of business, they may still sell parts for a while, like Motovox did, or sell remaining parts to retailers (some already sell OEM MM parts).

No idea. I brought that subject up recently. The sales prices are just about cut in half and the site looks dead. I know they are revamping to China but doesn't look good. I hope they still sell them later on, best bikes out there.
They closed the Ruston assembly facility and returned to China assembly last year, so that shouldn't be a problem, plus Walmart and Amazon have received plenty of bikes, apparently. It could be financial/legal problems, they agreed to paying $34k/month rent for 25 years in Ruston, and were only there for a year, maybe a year and a half.

https://lincolnparishnewsonline.wordpress.com/2018/08/21/what-next-on-monster-moto/

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=monster+moto+ruston+la

Fisher1983

Wow....this is sad. If they continue operations in China, I wonder how the build quality will be. I found some OEM parts on Monster Scooters but not the part I need. Looks like I need the whole driver for that bronze bushing....assuming it comes with it. Will Comet parts fit?

Wow....this is sad. If they continue operations in China, I wonder how the build quality will be. I found some OEM parts on Monster Scooters but not the part I need. Looks like I need the whole driver for that bronze bushing....assuming it comes with it. Will Comet parts fit?
From reading countless reviews on Amazon and elsewhere over the last couple years, I think there were more quality issues during the Ruston period than when they were previously assembled in China. The Ruston employees were probably underpaid and didn't give a crap. There are only good reviews on the MM site, the bad ones disappear but I've seen some before they were deleted. Even the Ruston bikes were assembled from Chinese components. If you can't get a response from MM, I'd take a chance on the Comet bushing; you can get them for $8-9 w/free shipping on eBay. All of the Chinese CVTs/torque converters appear to be knockoffs of the Comet.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=173675944120

Fisher1983

Thanks Charles. So...mine being built September of 2017, was that a Ruston bike? I think I saw a badge that said assembled in Ruston.........I'll have to look tomorrow. Still need the certificate of origin though!!!!!!

Thanks Charles. So...mine being built September of 2017, was that a Ruston bike? I think I saw a badge that said assembled in Ruston.........I'll have to look tomorrow. Still need the certificate of origin though!!!!!!
I think it would be a Ruston bike. If they are going out of business, it may be tough getting that certificate of origin. They used to be good about replying to email but someone recently said he couldn't get a reply.

Fisher1983

I guess I'll keep trying. I need the recall kit too, but looks like that's a no go. Unless i can find a way to vent the stock gas cap............The other part needed is just a metric bolt.

I guess I'll keep trying. I need the recall kit too, but looks like that's a no go. Unless i can find a way to vent the stock gas cap............The other part needed is just a metric bolt.
Do you have any info on the recall kit? I've never heard of it. I have a MM-B212 built inn Sept 2017 too and would like to know if the recall has been done on mine.

Do you have any info on the recall kit? I've never heard of it. I have a MM-B212 built inn Sept 2017 too and would like to know if the recall has been done on mine.
The details are still on their website. Basically, you remove the charcoal canister, fuel tank vent. Block the vent hole with a bolt, block the port in the air cleaner with a vacuum cap, and install a vented fuel cap. I still have gotten no response from them.

The details are still on their website. Basically, you remove the charcoal canister, fuel tank vent. Block the vent hole with a bolt, block the port in the air cleaner with a vacuum cap, and install a vented fuel cap. I still have gotten no response from them.
I think what I might try to do is vent the cap myself. On the stock cap, the lanyard chain attaches in a hole in the center....the recall cap shows that hole open, with the lanyard attached with a screw off to the side. It should be a matter of removing the lanyard and opening up the hole. In theory, that is. The vent block off bolt is supposedly an M8x10mm with a copper washer. Remove all of the charcoal canister tubes, charcoal canister itself, and the heat sleeve from the engine.

I just went and looked at mine. The lanyard chain for the fuel cap is attached off center and it looks like the fuel cap is vented in the center. Also there is a screw in plug on the side of the tank that faces the rear of the bike just above the seam. It looks like the update has been done on mine.

I just went and looked at mine. The lanyard chain for the fuel cap is attached off center and it looks like the fuel cap is vented in the center. Also there is a screw in plug on the side of the tank that faces the rear of the bike just above the seam. It looks like the update has been done on mine.
How do I tell if the update has been done on mine?

Correct. Also, the charcoal canister will be missing. It sits on a bracket at the lower rear of the engine, right in front of the back tire. The hose going to the bottom of the air cleaner should be gone too, with a vacuum cap in its place.

Correct. Also, the charcoal canister will be missing. It sits on a bracket at the lower rear of the engine, right in front of the back tire. The hose going to the bottom of the air cleaner should be gone too, with a vacuum cap in its place.
So that is what that bracket on the back of the engine is for! I noticed it the first day I got this bike and wondered what it was for.

So that is what that bracket on the back of the engine is for! I noticed it the first day I got this bike and wondered what it was for.
Hey Gang, first time Forum user so I hope I do it right. Found this Forum when I was checking the net about my new MM-B212. Just got it last week from Rural King for my two grandsons, who love it. However it seems to sputter a lot so I tried to call and email the company with zero response. Starting to get concerned so I went looking and found you guys. COO says it was built Dec 3, 2018 at Ruston and can't find anything about a recall except from you all. I guess so long as it is running (even rough) I'm OK. If you all find out anything else, please post it....and thanks.