billet rods for the 2.8 Doodlebug and Briggs 3hp engines

Who wants billet rods for the 2.8/3hp's?

• DB 2.8 rod

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Briggs 3hp rod

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • predator 3hp rod

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters
While I applaud your ambition why the 2.8? A briggs 3hp maybe yes but I've always seen the 2.8 to be too light to be a boat anchor and not much better for the scrap pile. Never had one last even with kids on them. Going to try a Motovox version I got cheap on my daughter's DB since the current 3hp briggs has carb issues and I'm never trying to rebuild one again the tank to carb gaskets they sell now are poorly made never got even one to seal and the diaphragms are not much better. Just biding time till she's ready for a 6.5 swap.

I'll repeat (and stand by) what I said back on 4/17/2016 which was page # 4 in this thread:
"The words Doodle Bug 2.8 and billet rod have no business being used in the same sentence."
Michael

i think the guy gave up on making anything. last time it shows him on was 6-23-17........:shrug:
I haven't given up. The guy I had doing them quite and everyone else wants to do a minimum of 50. The only other person that will works at his own pace which is snail pace. With the feedback I was getting I haven't pushed the issue being I'm working on other projects. Maybe one day when I get bored again I'll put some effort back into it.

delray

ok .......:thumbsup:
did you happen to know the rod journal size and pin size and center to center length on the briggs?
not a real big deal if you don't know off hand.

ok .......:thumbsup:
did you happen to know the rod journal size and pin size and center to center length on the briggs?
not a real big deal if you don't know off hand.
No I don't and I'm not at home at the moment. When I do go back to it the Briggs rod is the rod I'll be working on.

delray

stephensimmons
The guy I had doing them quite and everyone else wants to do a minimum of 50.
unfortunately too i'm in the same process if i want a rod made for my application. i would have to have at less 4 of them made at $100plus each. not really a bad thing. if the first one works out good for my project i would definitely use a second rod for another project.
also things can change for me depending on the type of piston i would use too.

stephensimmons
unfortunately too i'm in the same process if i want a rod made for my application. i would have to have at less 4 of them made at $100plus each. not really a bad thing. if the first one works out good for my project i would definitely use a second rod for another project.
also things can change for me depending on the type of piston i would use too.
That's not bad at all really. Figure out what it takes to get it done and pm me. I'd be willing to go half with you.

delray

sorry stephensimmons,when i say i want a rod made for my application. not speaking about a briggs engine. but in some cases a briggs can still work with little modification. thats why i was asking about the dem's of the briggs rod,but not a real big deal either. if i need to i could pull apart one of my 3hp briggs or get get lucky and do a internet search. like i said before the piston will determine the length of the rod i will need for my build.
still please keep in touch with us if you do anything.....:thumbsup:

sorry stephensimmons,when i say i want a rod made for my application. not speaking about a briggs engine. but in some cases a briggs can still work with little modification. thats why i was asking about the dem's of the briggs rod,but not a real big deal either. if i need to i could pull apart one of my 3hp briggs or get get lucky and do a internet search. like i said before the piston will determine the length of the rod i will need for my build.
still please keep in touch with us if you do anything.....:thumbsup:
Would you mind sharing the person that would make the minimum of 4 rods?

delray

gentlemen name is hunter at ARC. the rod that i would have him make they already have the program for it.
it's a discontinued rod that they us to make and if i want that rod he would have to make at less 4ea.
problem i have even with that rod is i don't think i can take enough material off top of the piston to still make it fit.
so my options are to find a better piston with the correct height that i can work with or maybe see if they can alter the program and make it little shorter
i think if you go to ARC and ask them to make a 3hp briggs rod it's going to cost you alot more$$$. make a program,setup time ...etc..

gentlemen name is hunter at ARC. the rod that i would have him make they already have the program for it.
it's a discontinued rod that they us to make and if i want that rod he would have to make at less 4ea.
problem i have even with that rod is i don't think i can take enough material off top of the piston to still make it fit.
so my options are to find a better piston with the correct height that i can work with or maybe see if they can alter the program and make it little shorter
i think if you go to ARC and ask them to make a 3hp briggs rod it's going to cost you alot more$$$. make a program,setup time ...etc..
What rod is it that you're wanting?

Hey stephen, i've got a 7 speed shifter build that im trying to make faster, but i need a flywheel and a rod for a 79cc Predator. How much might that cost if i sent my parts to you for copies?

i've bypassed my gov, which is why i need these items. would like to have all other parts before i get the valve springs, that way I don't have to worry as much. and before anyone says anything about my bypassing the governor without the performance parts, i did my research to find out what can go wrong, so i've been kinda babying it, only using max float rpms during acceleration. and, because i simply bypassed it rather than removing it, i can always put the stock throttle arm onto the gov connector. also, really the only reason i bypassed the governor in the first place without the parts is because i needed to get up to speed faster, and higher rpms seemed the best way to do that without drastically lowering my gear ratios.

a billet 3 hp rod...man some people need to piece up. I would be interested in a billet 3 hp rod in the near future. Ive got this crazy dream to have billet ungoverned billet rodded and flywheeled 3hp, 4hp, 5hp and raptor lol.....probably just gonna end up with a bunch of good runnin 3 hp a good running 4 hp and a raptor if im being realistic lol

Harquebus

I'm interested in one for the Briggs 3HP. I'm rather dismayed that ARC makes 3 or 4 billet flywheels but no conn rods. :rolleyes:

Surely we could petition them to produce one?