Baja Warrior Build

Hi all, new to the forum, thought I'd share my latest build.

Basically a frame up repaint, new front forks, new Predator 212 w/ a cam, billet rod & flywheel, Mikuni 22mm carb, fiberglass wrapped header, new seat, fuel tank, tachometer, number plate, grips, and a foot peg solution I stole from someone else's MacGyver'ing

I'm now waiting on a genuine TAV2 clutch to show up today. I had been running the Chinese / eBay knock off but with this engine it blew up all to hell during carb tuning (I still have the bruise on my leg to prove it lol), so I'm still not sure how fast this one runs

Someday I'll tackle adding rear suspension. Maybe something simple like a spring style seat, but a swing arm set up with shocks would be ideal.

Attachments

The tank is from Bikeberry.com, the 3.5L version. I searched high and low for one and that was the best I found for the price.

The carb is a genuine Mikuni 22mm. Still fine tuning that, but on hold until my Comet torque convertor arrives this week

The header is from Gopowersports.com, the one they sell for the Coleman MB200. I then wrapped it with fiberglass header wrap because I kept burning my hand whenever I tried adjusting the carb lol. Cut the heat down considerably.

So a buddy of mine hit my front fender with what he thought was wash off gray paint. It wasn't. :confused:

Easily solved by a trip to Lowe's for some Rustoleum in Metallic Blue. Not quite the blue I was going for but I'm good with it. 20190504_225602.jpg

The tank is from Bikeberry.com, the 3.5L version. I searched high and low for one and that was the best I found for the price.

The carb is a genuine Mikuni 22mm. Still fine tuning that, but on hold until my Comet torque convertor arrives this week

The header is from Gopowersports.com, the one they sell for the Coleman MB200. I then wrapped it with fiberglass header wrap because I kept burning my hand whenever I tried adjusting the carb lol. Cut the heat down considerably.
Thanks for the information on the tank. Is it vented? Did you need it to be vented with the Mikuni carb?

Thanks for the information on the tank. Is it vented? Did you need it to be vented with the Mikuni carb?
Good question, and not entirely sure what the Mikuni needs, have only run it in spurts so far just to warm it up and get the idle jetting sorted out (so far so good). The tank does not appear to be vented as the cap fits pretty snug and has no obvious holes in it.

Force, have you received the comet TAV yet? Get the yellow spring on order if you haven’t done so already, world of difference from the red.

Force, have you received the comet TAV yet? Get the yellow spring on order if you haven’t done so already, world of difference from the red.
Yes I have. At the moment I am running the 146g weights and blue springs for 3300 rpm engagement. Per the chart, that's about the same as having the heavier weights with the yellow spring. And I agree, it's a completely different bike now!

Well Goma's has come and gone, and now I can't help but stare at the bike and think about what to do next.

So I just ordered a bigger CAM (going to a .356 from my current Mod 1), stainless steel valves, heavier springs, etc. Can't wait to tear it down and start over lol

Also need to add front brakes to this thing.

delray

Well Goma's has come and gone, and now I can't help but stare at the bike and think about what to do next.

So I just ordered a bigger CAM (going to a .356 from my current Mod 1), stainless steel valves, heavier springs, etc. Can't wait to tear it down and start over lol

Also need to add front brakes to this thing.
356 cam is a pretty crazy cam. it's made for big bore and big valves and spins over 9000 rpm's when set up right. that means you will need to do a ton of different things(mods) . starting with gearing and there is no jackshaft on a baja bike. for a baja bike i would of gone to a mod 2 cam with 1.3 ratio rockers, narrow stem ss valves with valve lash caps,correct springs,retainers and keepers, porting in the bowls into the runners little/22mm carb and a big sprocket on the back.
also there as been some right up's on how guys have use the rear drum/rim and mounted to the front and made a drum brake and works good. i like the drum on the front over the disc. don't have to worry about locking up the brake and flying over the handle bars....lol

356 cam is a pretty crazy cam. it's made for big bore and big valves and spins over 9000 rpm's when set up right. that means you will need to do a ton of different things(mods) . starting with gearing and there is no jackshaft on a baja bike. for a baja bike i would of gone to a mod 2 cam with 1.3 ratio rockers, narrow stem ss valves with valve lash caps,correct springs,retainers and keepers, porting in the bowls into the runners little/22mm carb and a big sprocket on the back.
also there as been some right up's on how guys have use the rear drum/rim and mounted to the front and made a drum brake and works good. i like the drum on the front over the disc. don't have to worry about locking up the brake and flying over the handle bars....lol
I have a MOD2 cam now with 22 lb springs, billet everywhere you'd expect, but I have stock rockers. It's pretty tame imho, and I did consider ratio rockers to solve that.

I also looked at the MOD1 and the .308, but then my buddy admitted he built is 212 w/ the .356 cam. Polished, ported, stainless steel valves, chromoly push rods, etc. He also had the head milled down another 0.030. His bike has a VERY obvious difference in power compared to my MOD2 setup.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery on this one :)

Btw that is exactly how I am going to do the front brakes. I have my eye out now for a cheap Baja frame, rear wheel & brakes, and ideally front forks that are in good shape.

delray

ok,so you have both the mod 2 and 1 cam. you stated earlier you had a mod 1. you could just bolt on 1.3 ratio's with your 22 pound springs. that's if you wanted to still try it out. big thing that will change everything is regearing the bike, otherwise it will still feel sluggish until it can pull good rpm's. if you could do it? change the rear sprocket(big) and 7inch driven. mod2 cam w/1.3 should pull strong for that heavy bike. not sure how well the 356 cam will work in a heavy bike with the stock tall gears. power band for that cam is from 4000-9000+ when setup correct. I can guaranteed that stock gearing and 6inch driven will never rev that bike up to 9000 let alone 5000 unless you have 1/4 mile stretch. remember too the 356 cam will need some dual springs rated around 40+ and correct spring height too. you may have machine the valve spring seats. so much fun when it comes to big cams.

Apologies, if I said I had both that was a mistake in wording on my part.

I am running the mod 2 right now. I am not impressed with it.

My friend has the exact same Baja with 212cc and the .356, same TAV2 setup @3,300 RPM engagement as mine, same sprockets as mine, polished & ported head, etc. and his runs a little over 6K RPM's under load

The difference between my bike and his when riding it is obvious to the point of jealousy, hence, why I am doing what I am doing : )

I have no desire to actually spin up to 9K RPM's, that's a recipe for a blown motor imho