Well,, it looks like I' am swapping in a GX-200 in the modded MM-80

I74

Finally am getting it swapped in.
The chain/ clutch guard I' am pretty much making by hand, with 1/16 alum. angle, & 3/32, & 1/8 plate.
The back you can see is pretty much done , other than drilling & tapping for the rear mounting screw.
The front I will slice the angle ,so it can be contoured over the side plate, & then braze welded with Alumiweld rod, like I did on the rear.
Will then make 2 angle brackets for the front to fasten to the side case, & then sand contour & polish the front works, like I did on the rear.
It's ''a lot'' of work doing the fab, but the end results will be well worth it. ;)
Hope to get the rest of the parts to finish it up sometime next week.
I
100_5693.JPG 100_5710.JPG 100_5706.JPG

I74

Made a right foot rest extension to clear the blower/ recoil housing.
Also got the throttle & switch wiring done.
Hope to finish up the chain/ clutch guard in the next couple of days or so ..
Sorry the pics are so blurry, not sure what's going on there ......
I 100_5714.JPG
100_5717.JPG 100_5718.JPG

I74

nice job with everything! that paint job is awesome, did you do it? and if so what paint is it?
Thanks much,, Pops58 ! :)
Yea, I did all the paint work,, one of my nick names is : ''the spray bomb kid'' LOL.:D
Am really liking the latest Rust-oleum offerings over other paints these days,, they lay down real nice & are very durable ect.
I painted the blower /recoil housing outside, when we were lucky to have around 85*f sunny days,, mid September.
I put on a couple heavy coats of black first, then a couple of med. coats of blue next,, within a few min.
Then fogged it kind'a fast & further away, with a light coat of the Krylon purple.
Also did the Krylon like that, so it wouldn't potentially have a bad reaction with the Rust-oleum.
The clear went on about 10 min later, with a few coats,, a few min. apart.
I then let it bake in the sun on the driveway for a couple of hrs., with the heat from the sun on the concrete helping it to dry.
Doing all the paint work in short order helped in blending the colors together ect. ;)
I finally let the paint cure for over a week before installing it.
I
100_5720.JPG

Tell me a little more about the hidden gem in your pics.....that work table! Almost looks like a plywood top on a office chair piston hard mounted to the floor of your garage. Am I right?

I like what you are doing here. I just picked up a pair of motovox' and want to make a trail bike out of one of them. Being able to tow a small trailer was one of the things I had in mind. Have you had a chance to tow yours yet? How does it handle?

Thats the sickest spray bomb job I've ever seen! I was gonna buy some 2 stage paint and flake at the body shop supply but after seeing that it's possible to get a decent metal flake job from a can I'll be heading to the hardware store instead. Thanks for the info! great work!!

I74

Tell me a little more about the hidden gem in your pics.....that work table! Almost looks like a plywood top on a office chair piston hard mounted to the floor of your garage. Am I right?

I like what you are doing here. I just picked up a pair of motovox' and want to make a trail bike out of one of them. Being able to tow a small trailer was one of the things I had in mind. Have you had a chance to tow yours yet? How does it handle?
You are pretty much correct Sir ! :D
Basically made it all out of dumpster diving parts .''LOL'':p
It is a 2 by 8 bolted to a 6 wheel office chair pedestal/base, then ''very stout'' 1/2 by 16 by 24 particle board screwed down to it from a water bed or something …..
What's really slick is,, I put the front tire of the bikes on the 2nd step from the garage to the house,, & then pick up the rear of the bikes,, & then slide the ''Mini lift'' under the bike.
Then you just raise the whole works with the handle, & roll it around. ;)
It is ''very sturdy''.

I74

Thats the sickest spray bomb job I've ever seen! I was gonna buy some 2 stage paint and flake at the body shop supply but after seeing that it's possible to get a decent metal flake job from a can I'll be heading to the hardware store instead. Thanks for the info! great work!!
Thanks .:)
Hope I can capture what it really looks like with taking pics outside in the sun, when it's all finished.
It's ''way better'' when seeing it for real.
I

I74

Added,,
Haven't finished it to take for a spin yet.
Center of gravity is pretty low, but lateral balance might be a smidge to the right some because of having to mount the engine to right, & because of the heavy flywheel.
As low as it is, I don't think it's going to be to that noticeable though.

Don't have any plans of it pulling a trailer, but bet it would do it no problem.

Still deciding on gearing though..
My back sprocket is a 65t, & if I go with a 12t clutch,, that will give me a ratio of 5.4-1.
If I go with a 13/65,, that would give me a ratio of 5-1.
Am not setting it up for drag racing or a wheelie machine, but don't want to over stress the clutch either.
Would really like to go with the 13-65 / 5-1 ratio, so I can get a couple more mph out of it.
Either way, I will be putting in a green spring.

I run 12/58 right now with a 10" rear slick and I have run it with a 13" rear tire and it was fine. 13/65 should be ok, but why not stick with the 12 tooth clutch and change out the rear sprocket? It would be cheaper.

I74

I run 12/58 right now with a 10" rear slick and I have run it with a 13" rear tire and it was fine. 13/65 should be ok, but why not stick with the 12 tooth clutch and change out the rear sprocket? It would be cheaper.
Thanks for the reply.

Rear tire is 14.25
I don't have a 3/4 bore clutch laying around yet.
Plan on leaving the gov. in , & for performance mods, ''for now'',, it will just be the velocity stack adapter, cone filter,, 3 stage underseat pipe,, & an RLV 91 muffler,, & of course re jetting as needed.
It's pretty much just going to be a subdivision street cruiser.
I

Ah! Then if buying a Max torque clutch do get the 13 gear. That particular clutch is a little more than a 12 tooth because the 13 can be swapped out to up to I think a 16 tooth gear, where the 12 tooth is not interchangeable. You can probably guess how I already know this.

I74

Ah! Then if buying a Max torque clutch do get the 13 gear. That particular clutch is a little more than a 12 tooth because the 13 can be swapped out to up to I think a 16 tooth gear, where the 12 tooth is not interchangeable. You can probably guess how I already know this.
Thanks moetrout.:)
That's what I was hoping to use, but wanted input from others,, that the 5 -1 rato /13-65,, would be ok with Max torque SS clutch, using the green spring,, & what the bike is going to be used for..
I do weigh around 207lbs, & don't want to over stress things.

I74

How fast do you want to go? Have you put your numbers through the speed calculator? That can help a little to decide where to start.
Yes I have, ''mid 30's'',@ around 3,800,, with the 13-65/, & the 14.25 back tire.
Just don't want to put to much load on the crank ect. taking off,, that's my only concern.
This is my first over 100cc Mini project, & haven't ridden a Mini bike ''yet'' with the 196 - 212+ engines.
I do know that this GX has a steel crank, & is the higher dollar commercial grade top shelf offering.
I figure with the mild mods that it ought to have conservatively around 7 1/2 hp & more than that on torque.
Used to build old school hot rod Harleys ect. & I know what works & what to expect ect. on those.

Saw a road surface tamper with one of these on it the other day, & it was totally beat to Hell, but still ran like a champ.o_O

35 is plenty fast for me on this little sucker.
I