1969 Bird Mini Bike Forks And Questions.

I have a 1969 Bird Mini Bike and that i'm restoring and I have some questions. The way that i got it in the forks are definitely not the way they should be they looked chopped and there are weird tubes welded to it and basically I need a new fork for the bike. I cant find a fork that is the same style and i'm wondering if anyone has one there selling or if someone can point me in the right direction. Also the paint job is really bad and I want to strip the bike back to bear metal and i'm not sure how to go about that in the best way possible so if anyone knows a good and cheap method please let me know. I have some pictures of the bike and if anyone sees anything they want to point out that needs to be done do the bike please let me know! (don't mine my messy garage)
IMG-3825.jpg

Attachments

1971_MB1A

For starters I would probably get the frame sandblasted then go from there. I'm pretty sure I actually have one of those frames with front end forks you could have for $50 plus the shipping if interested let me know and I will look to be certain.

Thank you both for the help and advice. I realized what happened to the front forks is someone must have bent the stock ones chopped them and welded the metal Schock tube on there which I guess is a solution short term. I will definitely use that paint stripped on the main part of the frame and see if I can get it sand blasted somewhere because I don’t have one personally. Thanks you guys for the help I really appreciate it!

For starters I would probably get the frame sandblasted then go from there. I'm pretty sure I actually have one of those frames with front end forks you could have for $50 plus the shipping if interested let me know and I will look to be certain.
if you do have the forks contact me I’m pretty sure I started a conversation with you but I’ll just put it here as well but if you have them I’ll buy them.

That paint job is a beauty. Try this. Commonly found at local auto parts stores. Good stuff!

And yeah, those front forks have seen some modification...
I did what you said went to home depot and got all the stuff paint remover and all the necessary gear. Man that stuff is no fun it helped a lot but phew is that stuff strong I brushed it on and got most of it off it was really cool to see the history of the bike I figured out it came stock in a darker green color makes sense since its a duck bird and duck can be associated with green any way here are some pictures of what its looking like now after doing so sanding and abrasive brushes. Man is there a difference thinking of painting it a dark glossy red what do you think?

Attachments

I did what you said went to home depot and got all the stuff paint remover and all the necessary gear. Man that stuff is no fun it helped a lot but phew is that stuff strong I brushed it on and got most of it off it was really cool to see the history of the bike I figured out it came stock in a darker green color makes sense since its a duck bird and duck can be associated with green any way here are some pictures of what its looking like now after doing so sanding and abrasive brushes. Man is there a difference thinking of painting it a dark glossy red what do you think?
Oh my gosh, It's a completely different bike, huh?! I felt the same way with mine. It had green over yellow over the original orange. What a mess!

Keep us posted of your progress.