Won’t run

I have a CT 200 that has sat for a couple of years. The gas tank was gunked up and I removed the tank and cleaned it. Cleaned the carb also.

I put it back together and I can start it and it will idle, but the throttle won’t make it go.

the throttle lever does move, but the engine does not rev. Sometimes it does rev though.

I don’t believe I have a fuel filter.

what do I need to look at?

I cleaned the carb, it was very dirty. same exact problem, it would start and idle, but the throttle didnt do anything.

The bike took off on me when I started it, I guess that's a clutch issue?

looking at new carbs now

Lizardking

I cleaned the carb, it was very dirty. same exact problem, it would start and idle, but the throttle didnt do anything.

The bike took off on me when I started it, I guess that's a clutch issue?

looking at new carbs now
Did you clean the jet holes with a fine wire? If those small holes are blocked or even partially blocked you wont get good throttle response. Look at some videos on YouTube and clean it correctly. Easy and you don't have to wait for a new one and will gain experience.

SAS289

cleaned the carb really good. It runs and starts good.

It does try to takeoff when I start it, I have to hold the brake.
If it is not idling too high you will need to service the clutch. In the video he is using grease. If you have a bronze bushing like he has in the video use a couple drops of oil. If you have a caged needle bearing in the clutch drum pack it with grease but don't over do it or the grease will migrate out onto the drum.

Doc1976

double triple check the linkage and such to ensure all is in place correctly and adjusted correctly. hummmm double triple check, that's 6 checks.

SAS289

double triple check the linkage and such to ensure all is in place correctly and adjusted correctly. hummmm double triple check, that's 6 checks.
I'm wondering if it got fixed. Too often you never hear back from people on what the final fix was. I'm used to it though because it also happens at work.

Just checking back in. I cleaned and lubed the clutch. is still wants to move forward, but not like before. Im not exactly what the linkage is supposed to look like, so I can't triple check that yet. I did guess where some of those governor springs(???) go.
its ok to ride now.

SAS289

Just checking back in. I cleaned and lubed the clutch. is still wants to move forward, but not like before. Im not exactly what the linkage is supposed to look like, so I can't triple check that yet. I did guess where some of those governor springs(???) go.
its ok to ride now.
There are only two things that can make the bike move without touching the throttle on a Coleman with the original jackshaft. Too high an idle speed or a clutch issue.

When the engine is started and the choke is manually opened (choke off) the governor will move the throttle on the carb to idle. If the governor and throttle linkage is set up correctly the throttle on the handlebar and it's cable play no role in starting the engine.

A way to test yours is get the back tire off the ground or remove the jackshaft chain. Then start the engine and let it idle. Now see if you could lower the idle with the plastic idle speed screw on the carb. If you can lower the idle speed the linkage assembly is ok. If you cannot lower the idle speed there still may be a linkage issue or the engine is just not able to idle properly in the first place.