3HP Briggs carb

Somewhat of a newbie here on the older Briggs like the one i have on my mini. wanting to purchase a new carb for it and i am lost trying to figure out which one to get. See all the 6 digit model numbers on Ebay. Thanks.

Attachments

If you could even FIND a NOS original Briggs "Pulsa-Jet" carb (which is very unlikely) you would pay a fortune for it. What kind of problems are you having? We have some pretty good Briggs gurus right here on this forum that might be able to help. Also, there are some very good "Youtube" videos on cleaning and rebuilding these carbs.
Michael

Somewhat of a newbie here on the older Briggs like the one i have on my mini. wanting to purchase a new carb for it and i am lost trying to figure out which one to get. See all the 6 digit model numbers on Ebay. Thanks.
I would totally rebuild it. It would make a good project. It’s a good time to clean the tank really well.

old shed finds

Why the need for a "new" carb? Just about everything on these "Pulsa -Jet" carbs is rebuildable and there are plenty of parts sources.
Michael
These are the most simple carb around. They can be rebuild with a blindfold on. .most common problem is today's junk gasoline shrinking up the fuel transfer pump.

Harquebus

how about that, the only one in mesa az is not too far from my place.

That site is user-supported so there may be more 100% gas available in your area but they're currently unlisted.

Another potential source for pure gas would be Avgas (aviation gasoline) for piston engine aircraft, so if you have an airport nearby you may be able to get it. It's usually 100 octane though.

Great info on three ethanol free fuel, it's worth the extra money, i try to run it in everthing i own.
Can someone help me with a 3.5 BS carb identification so i can get rebuild parts comin my way. I have no clue all i find on it is an "E"
It's a tank mounted, 3.5 BS that i just picked up. It'll run if ya dump raw fuel in it. Also help with a new plug. It's got a champion in it, would like to put an NGK in it? Thots anyone?
Plz/Tkx,
Mark

Harquebus

...Can someone help me with a 3.5 BS carb identification so i can get rebuild parts comin my way. I have no clue all i find on it is an "E" It's a tank mounted, 3.5 BS that i just picked up. It'll run if ya dump raw fuel in it. Also help with a new plug. It's got a champion in it, would like to put an NGK in it? Thots anyone?
Got engine pics? Post the engine's ID numbers from the side of the blower/starter housing.

Briggs categorizes 3.5 hp flathead motors as 90000 series. The first set of numbers will be either 91000, 92000, 93000, 94000, or 95000. You can look up parts lists for your engine by the series number....

Flathead plugs typically have a short plug reach; e.g. the distance between the end of the spark plug threads and the seating surface of the plug. You could probably find many substitute plugs just knowing the plug reach (which is 9.5mm) and knowing what to look for.

Compatible NGK plugs that I found:
NGK 5798 or NGK BR2-LM
NGK BR2LM-VP1

No Thots here. This is mostly a male dominated site but the women here are nice & nerdy. :D

Lol :-D Tkx for the humor this mornin Harquebus I Needed that. Hopefully the pics will upload?
Your info is great. Just picked this one up last wk basically sight unseen other than some pics that didn't show all the love needed... Now the daughter is chomping at the bit to ride it. :scooter:
We got it to run with the help of a drill (no pull starter attached) and fuel down the throat. I'll need parts 4the pull starter as well along with lots & lots of others. We did manage to get it to fire and run a bit... now to make it stand tall!
That's where i reach out to all the B&S gurus for help. Please and Thank you all!
That includes all the "nice & nerdy women" too! :D

Thank you for the info on the series numbers that helps alot. I attached pics of the data. I don't understand all the numbers yet...

91202 1231 E1 0101093 A. (Date code?)

Family : YBSXS 1481HH 274459

That's what i saw? Looks like i have one pic that's not wanting to load. Can also attach a pic of the Carb if need be? Now the question is will they load or did i mess things up... hmm... Thots 2Ponder lol

Thank you,
Mark

20200913_122418.jpg 20200913_122411.jpg 20200913_122425.jpg 20200913_142357.jpg 20200913_142406.jpg

Attachments

Harquebus

I see your pics just fine. I'm not super familiar with the forum parameters (they keep changing stuff) but there may be a 5 photo limit per post.

The last set of digits contain the date of manufacture. 0101093A means 2001, January 9th. The last two digits are factory number 3 and assembly line A if I recall correctly. That's not really important though.

You have the good ol' Pulsa Jet carburetor on your engine. I imagine you need a pump diaphragm to get it going as they are a common part failure and are susceptible to ethanol in pump gas. I found an illustrated parts list for the 91200 series, for types 0002 thru 1388..... https://www.lawnmowerpros.com/pdfs/briggs-and-stratton/91200-ms2689-0504.pdf

The carburetor overhaul kit is also a good thing to have, #495606 Kit, Carburetor Overhaul. I got that off the above link.

Harquebus

I'd check fleabay for a used recoil starter assembly. But the part number is #692144. Check places like this site to see if they actually have it in stock: Rewind starter/blower housing

The carburetor diaphragm is part #272538S. Since that's a critical item that often wears out, it would be better to find something like a 3 or 5 piece set off that famous auction site (or wherever you can find them). Some sites charge $3 for just one, plus shipping. Zoinks! :confused:

Awesome Thank you Sir I'll check upon the "Oh Great Fleabay" and see what I can chase down. It's a shame it become more of a store as to what it started as. Makes a lotta sense to have a couple diaphragms around to fix the "I don't wanna run" It pays for sure to shop around to find the best bang for the buck. Pro'lum is I'm new to this world so it takes me awhile to find the parts that don't break the Bank.
Thank you Sir Harquebus for your efforts to help an Ol'Fatguy out, Greatly appreciated Sir! :)

If you could even FIND a NOS original Briggs "Pulsa-Jet" carb (which is very unlikely) you would pay a fortune for it. What kind of problems are you having? We have some pretty good Briggs gurus right here on this forum that might be able to help. Also, there are some very good "Youtube" videos on cleaning and rebuilding these carbs.
Michael
Looks to have a pulsa jet already on it.