So what are you welding with? (Post your set up here)

NorCal

I don't weld often, but when I do (usually when doing WW2 Jeep Stuff) I have pleantly to do. I would never claim to be a professional, just a hack/ garage hobby welder. But here is my set-up:

(Both are factory reconditioned units to save coin)

- Hobart 210MPV (Multi Volt-Plug 220/110V)
- Hobart 12ci Plasma Cutter (110v)
- Mated to a Harbor Freight Cart.

Not the most expensive or impressive set up, but it fits my needs very well. Between the whole thing I'm into it maybe $1,400 +/-

Attachments

DaddyJohn

Hobart Handler 140 and a Miller Millermatic 180. I use the Hobart way more often.
Have had decent luck with the Harbor Freight carts and auto-darkening helmets.

Mostly Millers and Lincolns welding in Hollow metal Door Shops for 33 years. Been off since March due to the Covid but Hey I was gonna pull the plug in August 2021. Retirement works for me! Got this Lincoln free from a shop that closed . I made the cart out of a bed frame and file cabinet LOL! View attachment 271568 View attachment 271569 View attachment 271570 View attachment 271571
Very cool! I work at a dock & door shop, do alot of hollow metal door & frame preps. Have to figure out how to do them all on my own for the most part, its amazing how many different preps there are

I don't weld often, but when I do (usually when doing WW2 Jeep Stuff) I have pleantly to do. I would never claim to be a professional, just a hack/ garage hobby welder. But here is my set-up:

(Both are factory reconditioned units to save coin)

- Hobart 210MPV (Multi Volt-Plug 220/110V)
- Hobart 12ci Plasma Cutter (110v)
- Mated to a Harbor Freight Cart.

Not the most expensive or impressive set up, but it fits my needs very well. Between the whole thing I'm into it maybe $1,400 +/-
I run this same welder. These are made by Miller. These are a great unit, they are basic and simple with all metal wire feeder also. I love mine..
Also use a Lincoln 110V plasma cutter..

To many acquired machines for me... But there isn't much that I cant weld.

My LencoSpot spot welder is at my Buddy Bruce's for working on his Blazer. Along with my Miller 140 amp MIG welder and cart.

My old 300 AMP AC/DC Lincoln that a friend bought new in 68.

1606774512863.png

Miller AC/DC Dialarc

1606774799569.png

Miller 251 Mig

1606774894263.png

Miller Diversion 180

1606775025216.png

For cutting

Miller Spectrum 2050, cuts up to 7/8'' Sadly I seldom use it

1606775220841.png

Oxy/Acetylene set up that I was given when I was a teenager. Of course there is not a single original piece of the set left anymore. over the years I have replaced hoses, regulators, rebuilt the torch's and attachments, replaced outdated bottles with newer ones... But I must say that it has served me well all these years. And I bought quick connects for the hoses. Man talk about convenience. I can change torches or add an additional 50 feet of hose with a simple click, click.

1606775372170.png

And 2 dead soldiers that I just cant bring myself to dispose of. I keep hoping in the back of my mind that I will eventually find someone that is capable of fixing them. I bought the one on the left brand new and the one on the right from a friends brother. They both have bad weld stabilizers in them and the parts are obsolete from Lincoln. The one I bought new was the smoothest running welder I have ever used. Welded a lot of sheet metal with it and it would run the most amazing bead. Just never a fight to get a slick final finish. You could run the amperage and wire speed way down and get good penetration with almost no excess material. I have never been able to do that with my Miller 140.

1606775860013.png

I rock with the Hobart Handler 140 and a Hobart AirForce 250ci. Both machines can use a 15A household outlet. Although, I wired my garage/shop with 20A for a little bit extra capability. I also have an 80lb tank of argon/CO2 gas for the welder. The welder is also sitting on a Harbor Freight welder stand. Very stable.

20201130_195056.jpg 20201130_195118.jpg

Oldsalt

My first job as a welder was in 1959. Stick only. A few years later I was standing in line at Fruehauf Trailer [now defunk] to get tested to see if I could qualify to get a job with a MIG [back then it was called a short-arc]. A long line in front of me ...... and I was thinking I was doomed because I had never picked up a wire feed torch. An old dude in front of me said hell if you can handle a low hydrogen rod uphill you'll have no trouble with a 'squirt gun'. He said all I had to know was that everything I see in the weld puddle will be metal, not molten metal covered over with flux. Told me what angles to hold the torch and a couple of other tips. Got up there and did their test plates and asked the guy if I did OK....he said 'Good enough to get a job'. To this day I tack large or heavy assemblies [like a trailer or such] with the 'MIG'. But weld it off with rod. People give arc rod away because 'MIG Is Better'. Just sayin', if you can pick up [always for short money] an old A-C only cracker box 220V stick welder DO IT. Lots of folks are silly enough to get rid of their ability to arc weld. With free or almost free rod I have been welding for years for cheap. A LOT less money than buying a big spool of wire and bottles of gas. My TIG and MIG are Miller units, love em both, but I also have a AC-DC 220V stick welder so that Ni-Rod [for cast iron] and aluminum stick rod can be used. Also Hard Facing and a number of other things. I have stainless wire and proper gas for MIG welding stainless steel.....but not too many home shop folks have that. If they had not gotten rid of their little arc welder [especially if it was DC capable] they would be in business. PLUS the arc welder doesn't care if I'm outside in the wind. No tips or cups or liners to replace. You can get into a lot of tight places with a skinny little rod that can't be done with the stubby MIG torch. It will, using 6011 farmer rod, wade through paint and rust and still be called a 'weld'. Also I can [but won't] climb a flag pole and weld on it. That short hose on a MIG is a really big problem sometimes. MIG is very limited in a a number of ways.