Dave Grattan Hound Dog 400

Lizardking

I agree, the teal and orange one might be the same bike. According to the old thread by @deezildennis Dave Grattan's daughter said the Hound Dog has a 5 hp briggs and the Hot Dog had the 3 hp briggs. The brochure for the 400 shows the Tecumseh hs40 was used. The briggs has the gas tank on the left hand side of the engine. That being said the Hot Dog would need the extra room on the rear tire side of the engine plate. I'm thinking that's the reason for the engine plate moved more towards the front tire. Vice versa for the 400 engine plate because the gas tank is on the right side on the Tec. I think your right on those pins being stoppers for the spring rods.

Lizardking

Sorry A2M... you can't have it Sir... That's only cuz he's saving it for this Ol'Fatguy! :scooter: lol :p

Way nice bike, simple makes it Pop!
So LK question for ya... did it fall from a tree too? lol ;)
Now 'bout that '56 Bug project:cool:
I agree on the looks of the Hound Dog. Simple fits the dogs frame nice! It's actually a bigger bike than I expected. It looked small in the sale pictures.
This one didn't fall when I kicked the tree lol... Had to climb and pick it off the branch on top!
The beetle is a project and almost have all the parts, just missing smalls. It was a running project when I first bought it from a girl that was putting it together.

Last edited:
This one didn't fall when I kicked the tree lol... Had to climb and pick it off the branch on top!
You have all the fun! Way to Ol' n Fat to be climbing trees anymore... but i might be willing to make an exception! The mind sez yes, the body sez WTF you thinkin Ol'dude, and that don't mean Wednesday, Thursday, Friday c'mon :cool: Lol

There's a couple guys around these parts that bring a couple bugs too the car shows that are just way BadA$$! Last time i talked to Chris him and his son-n-law were working on a set of Suicide Doors for one.

Lizardking

You have all the fun! Way to Ol' n Fat to be climbing trees anymore... but i might be willing to make an exception! The mind sez yes, the body sez WTF you thinkin Ol'dude, and that don't mean Wednesday, Thursday, Friday c'mon :cool: Lol

There's a couple guys around these parts that bring a couple bugs too the car shows that are just way BadA$$! Last time i talked to Chris him and his son-n-law were working on a set of Suicide Doors for one.
:D lol.. I'm no spring chicken but my persistence was the key to obtaining the 400 :scooter:! The guy I bought it from actually told me that I am very persistent but that it's what gets the job done.. #truth. My brain still thinks my body is a young buck! Lol I climbed many trees when I was a youngster so have plenty of experience!!

If you're referring to Chris from classic vw bugs, that's sweet!

Lizardking

Small update to the thread. I've came in contact with Dave Grattan's son in law while on my search for information on the 400. He was surprised I found the 400 since he has been diligent about searching for the Dogs on offerup where I found it . He sent me a picture of the Hound Dog he restored and if I understood correctly it was #1. He's going to talk to his in laws in the next couple of days and will fill me in on the years made and correct engine for my 400. Didn't want to post his son's face so I shortened the picture. Will keep you posted. Screenshot_20210222-003035.jpg

Last edited:
You need to convince them to start making them again!, "Retro is in and retro sells!" is what you need to pitch. Just don't sell yours to them, it'll be lost forever in some lobby display for nobody to enjoy. If anything, donate yours for cloning, with assurance that you get it back of course.

Lizardking

You need to convince them to start making them again!, "Retro is in and retro sells!" is what you need to pitch. Just don't sell yours to them, it'll be lost forever in some lobby display for nobody to enjoy. If anything, donate yours for cloning, with assurance that you get it back of course.
He did mention that he was envious I had found one and that he was looking for more bikes lol. I'm not saying that I'll never sell it but yeah I'll never sell it lol. I might sell/trade someday who knows.. I would totally loan it for reproduction purposes if it gets to that point. I Will pitch but lets see if they can still or want to step up to the plate and bat lol.

Lizardking

I was texting with Mark the son in law and he told me Dave said the serial number will give me all the information on the bike. I didn't see any numbers on the fork badge and let him know. He talked to father in law about it and said it was on the chain side of the engine plate. Found it after cleaning a layer of oil and dirt from the square tube by the plate. Just waiting now for the details!! 20210223_130354.jpg

I was texting with Mark the son in law and he told me Dave said the serial number will give me all the information on the bike. I didn't see any numbers on the fork badge and let him know. He talked to father in law about it and said it was on the chain side of the engine plate. Found it after cleaning a layer of oil and dirt from the square tube by the plate. Just waiting now for the details!! View attachment 275840
What do you want to bet that "All the information" is that it was made in May 1963 (5-63), Hahahaha. Well, I don't think that'll be the case because I think they started making them in 69 didn't they?. Perhaps it was the 63rd bike off the line in may?.