Where To Get A Honda Engine For My Mini?

Addicted 2 Minis

I buy my Honda engines from Carrol Stream Motor Company, not just because they're 20 minutes from my house but because I have received great service from them. Here's the link to their site https://www.carrollstream.com I have several genuine Honda engines and have been very happy with all but the one on my power washer.

desert rat

I buy my Honda engines from Carrol Stream Motor Company, not just because they're 20 minutes from my house but because I have received great service from them. Here's the link to their site https://www.carrollstream.com I have several genuine Honda engines and have been very happy with all but the one on my power washer.
That's where I have gotten all of my donor Honda's. My guess is they don't like water and soap. I have four new, two are sequential serial numbers that I ordered for a twin engine cart. All are GC motors.

Attachments

Way cool thread, even if'n it got hijacked and went awry. ;)

GC vs GX the difference is?

Iron Sleeve in the GX ? No clue here so time to ask. Noted the 3 month vs 36 month warrantee.

Why choose one over the other?

bruces

Gc has a rubber timing belt ,is cheaper build ,won’t last as many hours ,but still a very good descent running little engine .GX is pretty much the gold standard ,which is why the clones exist and even they are very good .

desert rat

Way cool thread, even if'n it got hijacked and went awry. ;)

GC vs GX the difference is?

Iron Sleeve in the GX ? No clue here so time to ask. Noted the 3 month vs 36 month warrantee.

Why choose one over the other?
The GC fits just as a briggs flat head would. Not a bunch of mods to be had. Side fill tank. GC160 // 5HP GC190 // 6HP. I have been using them for 15 years at least with no failures. Lawn mower shops can order jet kits and a side kick muffler without any problem. For most of us that want a reliable stock running motor it's just a strait up simple replacement with no frame mods to the mini bike. The GX has all the problems in fitment of a chinezz copy. Just my 2 cents.

toomanytoys

Google honda gx200 they are sold all over.

Personal things aside the predator 212 is the best bag for the buck. The predator really isn't a "clone" imo.

All mine start very first pull and run and run. Me and my daughter put 4 tanks through the stage 1 bike in one day. It never had a hiccup

Google honda gx200 they are sold all over.
Seems like doing some research by Googling simple terms is a lost art now. Wait a week for someone to tell me where to buy an engine or find a place that seems like a solid retailer after 10 minutes of looking? Yeah, the first one seems like the better idea. OP couldn't even tell us what Honda engine they were looking for.

I agree with you on the Predator not really being a clone.

Seems like doing some research by Googling simple terms is a lost art now.
Me, I'm not in the know bout nuttin honey!
However U-tube & Google are my go to for anything and everything.
I read everything posted here, alot of PMs sent. Really impressed with @Addicted 2 Minis link to Carroll Stream for honda engines. Thank you A2M.

Predators... i may/may not have a box with one... who's askin ;)
Hard to go wrong at a hunert bucks. When you live a hunert miles from a HF sometimes you make a plan to take advantage of the trip... :rolleyes:

I74

Gc has a rubber timing belt ,is cheaper build ,won’t last as many hours ,but still a very good descent running little engine .GX is pretty much the gold standard ,which is why the clones exist and even they are very good .
The genuine article GX series,, is the bomb !!

Love my GX-200. ;)

Did i miss something here. GC have more Mod-parts available than the GX series?
I saw the jump twixt the 2 on Carrol Streams site. Still free shipping, huge in my world!

Rubber timing belt??? I really gotta tear into a cpl of these things just so i know what you "Wizards" are talking bout.
Buddie of mine has a Honda at the shop, wonder if he'd recognize it in a kazillion pieces? :eek:

Addicted 2 Minis

I saw the jump twixt the 2 on Carrol Streams site. Still free shipping, huge in my world!

Rubber timing belt??? I really gotta tear into a cpl of these things just so i know what you "Wizards" are talking bout.
Buddie of mine has a Honda at the shop, wonder if he'd recognize it in a kazillion pieces? :eek:
The "GC" series looks the part of a Briggs flathead thus many people use it as a modern replacement on a vintage bike but they are OHV. They are cheaper than the "GX" series and many don't like the idea of the rubber timing belt or the front mounted muffler. My experience with them hasn't been the greatest, they are too tall and too wide for my liking. I put one on my DB30 and the recoil took up all the room where the foot peg is. I guess if it was mounted on something else, a little further back they would be a good bang for the buck, mine was $185 new shipped. The crankcase is also weird as it splits at an angle and the throttle mechanism can be a pain depending on which model you buy. In short, as much as I like a genuine Honda, If I was on a budget, I would buy a Predator before I bought a "GC" series. From an engineering standpoint, I've always went with "Fewer parts = reliability" and the "GC" series has way more parts than just about any engine out there, if you include all the brackets, linkages and grommets. If you don't believe me, I've included a parts list of the muffler, what should be a simple muffler has 12 parts to it, that's not including the redundant parts.

1617621264969.png
1617621414029.png
1617622964916.png

Last edited:

desert rat

No the GX would have more mod parts then the GC

I74

So what I'm hearing is GX is the way to go for longevity and modability?
Which would make sense why they're 'bout twice the price of the GC series.
You definitely get what you pay for with a GX, Mark.

I've seen the GX 160'S / 200'S on like tampers & pumps ect.ect., that look like they have been dropped out of trucks ect. multiple times,, & are totally dented/ violated,, & beat up looking ect., & still run like a champ.

I'd like to thank everyone for doing whatever you wanted to here except answering my question.
When you ask a public forum a question, you can’t predict what the answers might be.
You take the good, you take the bad.
you take them both and there you have - the facts of life.

Gx it is!

Lol @massacre ain't that the truth!
But hey still a good thread none the less.
I've learned alot 'bout Hondas and where to get them, modability, reliability and got to see pics of the guts of one, win win situation for all no?
Did the Smart Guys here not answer the original question before it got hijacked? Then gained alot more knowledge?