Tires balloon while going past 60?

Hello, I have a minibike at the moment and decided to slap a stage 5+ on the little thing hoping to go fast. It did maybe a little too fast, the tires are 5 inches wide and whenever I go past 60 they balloon like crazy. Wonder because I’ve seen other people use skinny yet harder compound scooter rims and tires but that just seems about more unsafe than the tires I’m using now. I’m using a mm80 with a 4.8:1 gear ratio on stock rims and tires any suggestions on what I could do?

Hello @Minibikeproblems ...welcome to the Oldminibikes.com forum.

I have a suggestion...slow down...lol.

Seriously, unless you have steering dampeners to stabilize it, and brakes to stop from those speeds...slow down.

Unless special built these things are not meant for high speeds.

Please don't take me wrong. Stay safe, and have fun.

We want you around as a member for long term !

Hello @Minibikeproblems ...welcome to the Oldminibikes.com forum.

I have a suggestion...slow down...lol.

Seriously, unless you have steering dampeners to stabilize it, and brakes to stop from those speeds...slow down.

Unless special built these things are not meant for high speeds.

Please don't take me wrong. Stay safe, and have fun.

We want you around as a member for long term !
I have all the necessary equipment to go that speed, the minibike is built for a few wheelies here and there and to take some people on and have fun while at it. I’m not sure when I’d need to get the steering dampener might be necessary if I’m planning to go faster but I’m aware that it is already fast enough, thanks for the concern and for the welcoming but all necessary safety hazards are a must especially with how other people drive without consideration. As for the brakes they are hydraulic and have dual piston’s they can lock up my tire no problem. I wear a helmet, long sleeves, and pants when I know it’s a day to go fast. Thanks for all the concerns but I am perfectly fine the only reason I’m worried is because I don’t want my tire to blow while going 60 mph especially on such a small bike. But do you have any suggestions for any tires that won’t balloon and I won’t have to do a scooter tire swap?

I74

3 most important safety things on any bike ,, tires, brakes,, & front end

If those are the stock MM-80 tires,, you are ''definitely'' asking for it !

I have built 4 of those MM-80 chassis of various sorts,, & wouldn't ''even'' think of trying to go anywhere near 60+ mph,, regardless of tires & set up.

Have hit almost 40 on my massaged GX-200 one,, & that is ''plenty'' fast on one of those ''little'' guys.

Get past that,, you are just playing Russian roulette, & will eventually run out of luck,, & it would probably be pretty ugly also.

In a nutshell,, you need to just slow the ''F'' down,, like the others say also,,, unless you have a death wish.

I

Last edited:
2 most important safety things on any bike ,, tires & brakes.

What's the speed ''letter'' rating letter on those tires,, & what tires are they ??

I have built 4 of those MM-80 chassis of various sorts,, & wouldn't ''even'' think of trying to go anywhere near 60+ mph,, regardless of tires & set up.

Have hit almost 40 on my massaged GX-200 one,, & that is ''plenty'' fast on one of those ''little'' guys.

Get past that,, you are just playing Russian roulette, & will eventually run out of luck,, & it would probably be pretty ugly also.

In a nutshell,, you just need to slow the ''F'' down,, unless you have a death wish.
I understand guess I’ll just keep it on a low for now. And the tires are rated at 65mph max with my setup I can go well beyond 75+ but those tries shure do get extremely skinny while going over 60 maybe I’ll just stick to doing wheelies and not going too fast. Thanks for the help I’ll be posting more questions on here further on in regards to future builds thank you for the advice and I hope you have a great one!

I74

I understand guess I’ll just keep it on a low for now. And the tires are rated at 65mph max with my setup I can go well beyond 75+ but those tries shure do get extremely skinny while going over 60 maybe I’ll just stick to doing wheelies and not going too fast. Thanks for the help I’ll be posting more questions on here further on in regards to future builds thank you for the advice and I hope you have a great one!
If those are the stock MM-80 tires,, they are ''not'' rated even anywhere close to those speeds,, if that is actually how fast you say it goes...
Those tires are also tubeless,, & if they actually got that skinny, like you say,, they would be un seating from the rims.
I have mounted bunches of those ect.,, & know all about those stock tires & rims.

Sorry,, I' am just not buying all this …..
I'd also like to know more about this stage 5+ set up that you slapped on,, & ''please'',, we would love to see some pics ....

Added,,
Those stock MM tires either have a speed letter rating of ''B'' or ''E''.

B, is up to 31mph.
E, is up to 43mph.

Tires that we run on bikes that do over 35mph,, have a speed rating of ''F'' or ''G'',, which is 50 - 56 mph.

Last edited:
If those are the stock MM-80 tires,, they are ''not'' rated even anywhere close to those speeds,, if that is actually how fast you say it goes...
Those tires are also tubeless,, & if they actually got that skinny, like you say,, they would be un seating from the rims.
I have mounted bunches of those ect.,, & know all about those stock tires & rims.

Sorry,, I' am just not buying all this …..
I'd also like to know more about this stage 5+ set up that you slapped on,, & ''please'',, we would love to see some pics ....

Added,,
Those stock MM tires either have a speed letter rating of ''B'' or ''E''.

B, is up to 31mph.
E, is up to 43mph.

Tires that we run on bikes that do over 35mph,, have a speed rating of ''F'' or ''G'',, which is 50 - 56 mph.
I know it seems crazy but some other people have the same set up as me and have reached 83! Let me take a quick photo and sorry for all the oil I managed to spring a leak from one of the hose barbs gonna get to that soon it has 36lb springs, stainless steel valves, head grinded down .20, thinner head gasket, chromoly pushrods, billet rod, billet flywheel, nibbi 26mm carb, header, .308 welded cam, port and polish, and that’s about as much as if I can remember

Attachments

I74

I know it seems crazy but some other people have the same set up as me and have reached 83! Let me take a quick photo and sorry for all the oil I managed to spring a leak from one of the hose barbs gonna get to that soon it has 36lb springs, stainless steel valves, head grinded down .20, thinner head gasket, chromoly pushrods, billet rod, billet flywheel, nibbi 26mm carb, header, .308 welded cam, port and polish, and that’s about as much as if I can remember
Look @ those tires !! :eek:
You are definitely running absolute $hit tires on that thing,, & are ''for sure'' asking for trouble !!

I74

The '15/5/6 street tires from GPS,, is what we mostly run.
They are G rated @ 56mph, & do pretty good,, as long as everything is lined up right.
Can't get those from any where else.
Kill you on shipping though...
The SunF 145/70/6 brand on e -bay ect. is another option.
6 ply & are F rated, with directional street tread.
I got one,, just haven't mounted it yet.

Last edited:
The '15/5/6 street tires from GPS,, is what we run.
They are G rated @ 56mph, & do pretty good,, as long as everything is lined up right.
I’ll make shure to order those next time and see what I can do with them thanks for the suggestion

toomanytoys

The '15/5/6 street tires from GPS,, is what we run.
The a021 sunf? I have a set on my mm212 pro in 20x7x8. That bike will hit 46 and feels perfectly stable at that speed. Those tires are fantastic although they feel really squirrely off road.