Sears roper restoration

Triley41395

Bought what I'm told is a 1969 sears roper. I'm tearing it down to repaint and replace what ever parts are missing that I can find. This will be my first so I'll post pictures as I go. I'm guessing that it will take several months if not more to find the missing pieces. Hopefully I'm not crazy for doing this considering it was a runner. If anyone knows anything about it don't hesitate to add a comment or suggestion. I'm sure I'll have some questions to come. And the first question is does anyone know what color blue it was originally. I found blue under half a dozen layers of paint and the sticker on the forks. 20210613_184931.jpg 20210613_190247.jpg

Triley41395

Got a few things sandblasted. Beautiful tank,no dents for 50 years old,I'm pretty happy. The rear fender has a small tear at the bolt hole, I'm going to try to bang it out and weld it. Hopefully I'll get the rest disassembled this weekend and get the frame to a professional for blasting. I don't have a sandblaster big enough for the frame. 20210616_192622.jpg 20210616_192556.jpg

Triley41395

I am thinking of making a plywood box just for the frames. I have four frames to do now so it would be worth it to me.
Doesn't sound like a bad idea, maybe coat the inside with rubberized undercoating for durability and possibly pined together so it can be taken down when not needed. I'm definitely going to check with a professional blasting company first because I just don't have the space.

desert rat

I know that three of the frames have lead paint from just a little grinding I have done on the first one. If it wasn't for that I would just pull my gun out of the cabinet and open blast them in the driveway with a respirator.

Lizardking

I am thinking of making a plywood box just for the frames. I have four frames to do now so it would be worth it to me.
I have one of the harbor freight blasters and the cat 250x frame was able to fit.

I've seen videos of people extending the cabinet to fit their needs. The gravity feed mod seems to be the way to go with the blasting cabinet if you dont have a giant compressor.

Worth the investment if you're the diy type of person. Beats sanding paint and rust hands down.

desert rat

I have the 40# cabinet. It doesn't have a door inter lock like the one at work(80#) had so I could leave the door open.:rolleyes: I will be doing three tote goats.

Triley41395

I have the 40# cabinet. It doesn't have a door inter lock like the one at work(80#) had so I could leave the door open.:rolleyes: I will be doing three tote goats.
I have one of the harbor freight blasters and the cat 250x frame was able to fit.

I've seen videos of people extending the cabinet to fit their needs. The gravity feed mod seems to be the way to go with the blasting cabinet if you dont have a giant compressor.

Worth the investment if you're the diy type of person. Beats sanding paint and rust hands down.
Are most of the members here purists that like to see the bikes back to original or prefer to just see them back on the road. I ask because I'm considering not painting it back to original and using a 8hp tecumseh if it will fit.

desert rat

Are most of the members here purists that like to see the bikes back to original or prefer to just see them back on the road. I ask because I'm considering not painting it back to original and using a 8hp tecumseh if it will fit.
It runs the spectrum. some minis are too rare to mess with and some are to far gone to save to original specs without a lot of time and money. I think most of us try to save the ones that make sense to save.

mustangfrank

It's not like you're hacking it up and modifying anything that couldn't be put back to "original"...paint it whatever you like and if an 8hp will fit why not a 10hp? Kudos for sticking with a flathead.

Triley41395

It's not like you're hacking it up and modifying anything that couldn't be put back to "original"...paint it whatever you like and if an 8hp will fit why not a 10hp? Kudos for sticking with a flathead.
I'm not really sure what a flathead is, I'm guessing tecumseh's are called flathead. I'm not a engine guy but it I think it has a briggs motor on it now which from what I've read is not original to it. Im not even sure if the engine I'm thinking of using is a tecumseh I was just told it is 20210614_214003.jpg

mustangfrank

I'm not really sure what a flathead is, I'm guessing tecumseh's are called flathead. I'm not a engine guy but it I think it has a briggs motor on it now which from what I've read is not original to it. Im not even sure if the engine I'm thinking of using is a tecumseh I was just told it is View attachment 279448
Yep, it's a Tecumseh, HM series, HM80 if it is an 8hp, should be stamped on top of the shroud nearer the bolt holes. Flathead is any of the manufacturer's engines with the valves in the block and a literal "flat cylinder head", term goes back to the early 32-53 Ford Flatheads, among others.

Harquebus

I'm not really sure what a flathead is, I'm guessing tecumseh's are called flathead. I'm not a engine guy...{snip}
Time to become one (an engine guy). You're in the hobby now and it's too easy (it's not rocket science). Time to bone up. :cool:

Flathead engines are an old technology that has largely been phased out because they're just not as efficient as the overhead valve (OHV) design. Also called sidevalve engine or valve-in-block engine. Briggs and Stratton (and maybe even Tecumseh) calls their flathead design an L-head also.

Hey wikipedia proves me wrong; some Belgian company called D-Motor is making flathead aero engines.

Triley41395

Uh, you have the two pieces...stick it in the frame and see if it does.
I don't actually have the motor. Just considering buying it. The only tecumseh I actually have is on another(yes another I've already bought another,I see how addictive these little bikes are) bike but its trash. I can't seem to find a 4 or 5 locally that's reasonably priced. I have not removed the other engine yet but I'm hoping to find one that just bolts in. I think the one I have may be original to the bike but the top of the jug is cracked Screenshot_20210617-185832_Gallery.jpg

Triley41395

Well I got the motor and for anyone wondering an 8hp tecumseh will fit in a sear roper. I'm going to get a new carb and muffler and have someone help me get the motor running. It looks a little tight but fits and bolts right on. Screenshot_20210620-053824_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210620-053806_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210620-053906_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210620-053924_Gallery.jpg

Triley41395

After trying to figure out what carb and throttle control assembly i need it appears there are different size 8hp tecumseh. I'm not sure what year 80,90,00,10 it is, I'm sure someone can tell by the look of it. The HM80's should fit Screenshot_20210620-070113_Gallery.jpg