Bolting forks to frame; just a nut and bolt?

So for whatever reason even though the I.D. measure out to 5/8, the 5/8 bolt won’t go through. Going to head back to tractor supply and try to find something slightly smaller.

Doc1976

So for whatever reason even though the I.D. measure out to 5/8, the 5/8 bolt won’t go through. Going to head back to tractor supply and try to find something slightly smaller.
Did it measure exactly. 625? What did the bolt measure?

Last edited:

Doc1976

Would it not go through the forks or the head tube or either? The tube looks like regular welded seam tube which commonly has a burr on the inside along the seam. That could be keeping the bolt from going through.

Last edited:
Would it not go through the forks or the head tube or either? The tube looks like regular welded seam tube which commonly has a burr on the inside along the seam. That could be keeping the bolt from going through.
It wouldnt go through the head tube. The bolt will go through about this much and then just stops, even tried hammering but no luck:
BA2F244B-9BCB-494C-9DA6-775F799583A0.jpeg
Did it measure exactly. 625? What did the bolt measure?
So the bolt measures 5/8, and the head tube I can get it to vary between .625 and .608, with just the slightest change in measuring point.

Doc1976

It wouldnt go through the head tube. The bolt will go through about this much and then just stops, even tried hammering but no luck:
View attachment 279803

So the bolt measures 5/8, and the head tube I can get it to vary between .625 and .608, with just the slightest change in measuring point.
Well if the bolt measures .625 and the tube measures .625 and less then that will be a problem.

Without knowing your tool and capability situation I will offer the following options. These options are definitely not all equal in how good they are.

Run a 5/8 drill down through the tube (not my favorite idea)

Find a bolt from another supplier than has a smaller diameter (although you won't find one as small as .608)

Make your own bolt from round stock ( same problem as above)

Have a machine shop make you a custom bolt

And my favorite....cut that tube off and weld a proper piece of DOM on. 7/8" x .120 wall.

Well if the bolt measures .625 and the tube measures .625 and less then that will be a problem.

Without knowing your tool and capability situation I will offer the following options. These options are definitely not all equal in how good they are.

Run a 5/8 drill down through the tube (not my favorite idea)

Find a bolt from another supplier than has a smaller diameter (although you won't find one as small as .608)

Make your own bolt from round stock ( same problem as above)

Have a machine shop make you a custom bolt

And my favorite....cut that tube off and weld a proper piece of DOM on. 7/8" x .120 wall.
Thanks! I'm not a welder by any means, so something structural like that I would likely get welded from a shop somewhere. If that is honestly the best option, then maybe that is the way I will go. Looks like this is the tubing for the job then:

https://www.speedymetals.com/p-3439-78-od-x-120-wall-dom-steel-tube.aspx

I do also have a 9/16" bolt sitting around that fits, but isn't long enough to go all the way through.

Doc1976

Thanks! I'm not a welder by any means, so something structural like that I would likely get welded from a shop somewhere. If that is honestly the best option, then maybe that is the way I will go. Looks like this is the tubing for the job then:

https://www.speedymetals.com/p-3439-78-od-x-120-wall-dom-steel-tube.aspx

I do also have a 9/16" bolt sitting around that fits, but isn't long enough to go all the way through.
Yep that's the size. But understand that although the simple bolt setup was widely used, it will wear. As it does the front end with get loose and rock a little especially if the bike is ridden of road. Regular greasing of that fork mount assembly will be required to help reduce this wear.

Yep that's the size. But understand that although the simple bolt setup was widely used, it will wear. As it does the front end with get loose and rock a little especially if the bike is ridden of road. Regular greasing of that fork mount assembly will be required to help reduce this wear.
Thanks! That sounds like a bit of a pain when it comes to wear, seems like that can become dangerous over time.

If you are going to replace the tube on the frame get the tube so you can run these bushings. Do it right and you will thank your self later.
That is probably a good idea. Would I need to just find some tubing with a .75 I.D. so that those bushings can fit right into the tube? I'm guessing something like this:

https://www.speedymetals.com/pc-3455-8242-1-14-od-x-250-wall-dom-steel-tube.aspx

Honestly don't know if the O.D. and wall size of that tubing is too much though when compared to the 7/8 x .120 suggested before.

This is a good plan. Upsize that DOM from what I suggested to accommodate a flange bushing to run a 5/8 bolt. Good suggestion rat
Ah, I just saw this as soon as I was going to post! So you would recommend something like I linked above to desert rat so I can run the bushings?

Doc1976

Thanks! That sounds like a bit of a pain when it comes to wear, seems like that can become dangerous over time.

That is probably a good idea. Would I need to just find some tubing with a .75 I.D. so that those bushings can fit right into the tube? I'm guessing something like this:

https://www.speedymetals.com/pc-3455-8242-1-14-od-x-250-wall-dom-steel-tube.aspx

Honestly don't know if the O.D. and wall size of that tubing is too much though when compared to the 7/8 x .120 suggested before.

Ah, I just saw this as soon as I was going to post! So you would recommend something like I linked above to desert rat so I can run the bushings?
I definitely support using bushings. It allows for normal wear, but puts that wear on the replaceable bushings not the steel. As far as the size, just go see your local supplier if you have one. Tell em you need some thick wall DOM that gives you an I.D. of the bushing size you choose. I suggested the size I did because that's what I use, and it works well. It leaves me with an I.D. of .635. I use a cold chisel to create "dents" along the inside circumference of the tube to both make up the .010 clearance and to give little spikes to bite the bushing and keeping from turning in the tube. This way the bolt is turning in the bushings and not the bushing turning in the tube. (I hope I explained that well enough) use whatever size you are happy with, there are plenty of size combinations. The bike I'm building now is 7/8 tube frame and the head tube is 1-1/2" to accommodate a 1-3/8" flange bearing. Just make sure your welder appreciates the strength needed in that joint.

Great, thanks guys! I just picked up some scrap tubing from a metal supplier for $2 that I will try out. I only had a tape measure to find the I.D. of the tube, but I figure for $2 why not take it home and see what kind of bushings I can find for it.

I know my Ruttman fork is just a bolt and a nut. I'd like to find a way to use a bushing as well in mine. I was surprised - also why it took so long to get out of there!

Doc1976

Yup, 5/8s. Please let us know - I'd appreciate it!
Sooooooo what I have done is to make 4 "washers" with 1/2" holes. 1/8"-3/16" material is fine I normally use 1/8". These washers get centered and welded to the triple clamps where the existing 5/8" holes are, 1 washer above and one below on each triple clamp. Then I use bronze flange bearings with 1/2" ID x 5/8" OD with a flange OD to match the steering head tube, commonly 7/8". You will need to shorten the existing head tube by 2x the washer thickness and 2x the bearing flange thickness. Be sure to remove material on the top and bottom of the head tube to ensure the front end stays the same height. Then a 1/2" bolt can be used.

A side note about this bolt, as well as axle bolts when the axle hangs on a simple flat bar tab, be sure to use a bolt with the appropriate length of smooth shank so that the threads are not riding in the metal flange of the axle hanger or the triple clamps. If the threads ride against the metal flange it can and will wear much faster. It will wear both the axle and hanger or triple clamp in this case. For this reason, I make my own axles and head bolts, although I understand not everyone has the means.

I will try to find something pics to illustrate the setup.