Bolting forks to frame; just a nut and bolt?

mustangfrank

I like that idea, nice way to fix the shtuff that's beat up from miles & miles of smiles...

So do you by chance drill and tap steering head tube for a grease zerk and grease it? Is it worth the effort or over kill?
Bonanzas have zerks on the headtube and the swingarm. I don't think I'd drill up a vintage frame just to add them but if/when I ever make my own frame I think I would just for the engineering(ie) factor.

Doc1976

I like that idea, nice way to fix the shtuff that's beat up from miles & miles of smiles...

So do you by chance drill and tap steering head tube for a grease zerk and grease it? Is it worth the effort or over kill?
I actually did that on the first one I repaired this way. I don't remember exactly why I stopped doing it though but I haven't used a grease zerk since. May have simply been too much grease for the application and leaked out. I use oil impregnated bushings and just grease during assembly. So far no complaints.

So just got a chance to take another look at the minibike after completing a few other automotive to-dos. I have a bushing from Lowes that is flanged, and the actual body of the bushing has a 3/4 inch O.D. with a 5/8 inch I.D. The bolt slides in it perfectly, however its been a challenge to find metal tubing that fits the bushing perfectly. I've gone from store to store trying to find something that fits, but it seems I will have to just order online. What size tubing do you all recommend for my 3/4 O.D. bushing, and where would you recommend I can order some for a good price online? Just want to ask since it seems the bushing should be somewhat snug in the head tube?

chrisr

If you find one online, if you find one locally they is a little snug for your bushing, you may check with the local shops. We have one near our house that does airplane machining, but if I leave the part with them they are very reasonable doing the work.

Doc1976

So just got a chance to take another look at the minibike after completing a few other automotive to-dos. I have a bushing from Lowes that is flanged, and the actual body of the bushing has a 3/4 inch O.D. with a 5/8 inch I.D. The bolt slides in it perfectly, however its been a challenge to find metal tubing that fits the bushing perfectly. I've gone from store to store trying to find something that fits, but it seems I will have to just order online. What size tubing do you all recommend for my 3/4 O.D. bushing, and where would you recommend I can order some for a good price online? Just want to ask since it seems the bushing should be somewhat snug in the head tube?
What diameter is the flange part of the bushing? When it comes to tubing to fit the bushing, as I said before it will HAVE to be DOM tubing. Are you looking at steel suppliers or just the big box stores?

desert rat

I used black pipe from the hardware store. Used black pipe to make the forks also. I don't remember having to deal with a seem inside.

Went to the shed and looked. The seam is there but would be gone with about 4 strokes with a file.

Last edited:
What diameter is the flange part of the bushing? When it comes to tubing to fit the bushing, as I said before it will HAVE to be DOM tubing. Are you looking at steel suppliers or just the big box stores?
I looked at one steel supplier near me so far, and all the big box stores. Haven’t had a chance to go to the other steel suppliers since I work during the day, and by the time I get off work they are closed. Might be able to give a few of them a call, although many seem to only cater to industrial/commercial customers. The diameter of the flanged piece itself is 3/16 of an inch alone, and the whole bushing diameter when measured with the flange is 1 inch.

I have used online metals dot com with success.
Thanks, I’ll check them out! Since the O.D. of the bushing that will be seating in the head tube is 3/4”, should I purchase some .75 I.D. tubing, or something slightly smaller such as .745? I guess the bushing shouldn’t be spinning in the tube, so just want to purchase once and make sure I get the right size of DOM tubing.

Doc1976

Thanks, I’ll check them out! Since the O.D. of the bushing that will be seating in the head tube is 3/4”, should I purchase some .75 I.D. tubing, or something slightly smaller such as .745? I guess the bushing shouldn’t be spinning in the tube, so just want to purchase once and make sure I get the right size of DOM tubing.
So I think the easiest for you is to find 1" DOM x .120" wall. That will give you .76" ID. if you refer to my post #33, I explained my method for taking up the remaining .010" that you will have after bushing is installed. I suggest this so the head tube and the flange diameter will match for a nice clean look. If you want a good tight fit, this is probably your best bet.

There are only so many size combinations around, I would doubt you could locate a tube with I.D. of .745. Also, if you don't know, tube is measured by the O.D, while pipe is measured by I.D. with pipe, the measurements are nominal. Meaning that a 3/4" pipe will not measure .75, that's just how it's identified. With tube, especially DOM, if you buy 7/8" it's going to be quite close if not exactly .875.

So I think the easiest for you is to find 1" DOM x .120" wall. That will give you .76" ID. if you refer to my post #33, I explained my method for taking up the remaining .010" that you will have after bushing is installed. I suggest this so the head tube and the flange diameter will match for a nice clean look. If you want a good tight fit, this is probably your best bet.

There are only so many size combinations around, I would doubt you could locate a tube with I.D. of .745. Also, if you don't know, tube is measured by the O.D, while pipe is measured by I.D. with pipe, the measurements are nominal. Meaning that a 3/4" pipe will not measure .75, that's just how it's identified. With tube, especially DOM, if you buy 7/8" it's going to be quite close if not exactly .875.
Awesome, thank you for the great information! This is my first venture into buying different metals, so the explanation is appreciated. I will look for the size of DOM tubing you mentioned and then go from there. Thanks!

What I did is to get the DOM tubing first, and then had the bushings made. Reason why is because my tube was an oddball size. The bushings were worn so I had to have new bushings made anyways. It worked so great the steering is nice and tight.

You are kinda doing it in the reverse order from me.
You may have to buy 12” of DOM tubing from online metals but worth it for safety Imho

I did a quick search at online metals and it looks like they have some 7/8 OD carbon steel DOM tubing that is 7/8” OD and 3/4 ID

https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy...bon-steel-round-tube-a513-type-5-dom/pid/7771

And it’s like seven bucks a foot.
I’m not saying you should definitely use this particular tubing, but I just wanted to let you know that there are a lot of options out there
Good luck

Doc1976

As another side note, since you will be having the tube cut off and new welded on this is time to ensure your rake and trail are correct.

What I did is to get the DOM tubing first, and then had the bushings made. Reason why is because my tube was an oddball size. The bushings were worn so I had to have new bushings made anyways. It worked so great the steering is nice and tight.

You are kinda doing it in the reverse order from me.
You may have to buy 12” of DOM tubing from online metals but worth it for safety Imho

I did a quick search at online metals and it looks like they have some 7/8 OD carbon steel DOM tubing that is 7/8” OD and 3/4 ID

https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy...bon-steel-round-tube-a513-type-5-dom/pid/7771

And it’s like seven bucks a foot.
I’m not saying you should definitely use this particular tubing, but I just wanted to let you know that there are a lot of options out there
Good luck
Thanks! Where do you usually get bushings made? Never actually thought about that. I actually ended up purchasing this from eBay:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=283612938512

Only reason is because shipping from onlinemetals was a bit expensive, so decided to check eBay and found that.
Check these guys, they're in Philadelphia. Their website says they stock DOM
http://www.metal-stock.com/site/stock/sales.html#
I wish I would have come to this thread sooner before purchasing! It looks like they have 1" .120 .76 DOM tubing. I will have to bookmark them for the future when I need more metal.