2021 build off 1968 Taco 44

If you don't mind me asking about how much was it to have them chromed. Got some fenders that I would prefer chrome instead of powder coat.
I do all my polishing myself .Thats the expense in chrome and takes alot of time. to dip with nickel and chrome ,I pay min charge 100 cdn

Thanks, that sounds reasonable enough, comparable to powder coat prices.
its the pre work that expensive cleaning rust removing paint removing the chrome sanding polishing removing every scratch and pit I spent a lot of time prepping some ware around 30 hours.Chrome does not hide anything ,the plater I use is industrial does thousands of parts a day ,table legs, chairs. racks.His building is about 60 thousand sf and about 60 employees and nothing goes down the drain,its green enviroment.If you take it to a plater make sure its clean and expect to pay for the time they spend prepping

made up clutch cover mounts.Im not sure what the original look like made a couple of spacer and bent some flat bar .checked valve lash spot on ,head off crosshatch on cyl looks good,removed govenor found pieces in sump.plugged hole with 1/4 bolt I found that it will cut its own thead when installing.painted this morning will give it a week to harden and then put the tins on

Attachments

cleaned up the wheels gave them a light sand blast used 120 240 sand paper red and green scuff pads. A member is selling taco sprockets on ebay I picked one up 60t 35 chain 4 1/2 centre hole. if your drum is good just cut off old one and weld on new one

Attachments

had to make a brake lever used a azusa arm it has a double square ran a weld on both sides and filed the rectangle.made the wheel spacers.Im using the pork chop air cleaner I have to rotate a 1/4 turn to clear the throttle it then ends up overtop of muffler so i put in a elbow. Jackshaft cables left

Attachments

Nice bike! Is that right side (relatively short) footrest actually usable with that big 5HP hanging off the side so far?
Michael
I know its a little tight when i was installing the pegs I started with 4 inch,orignal is 2 1/4 cut the left down to 3 tried it it seamed ok with engine in. Cut right to 3 see what its like when I ride it. if its a problem I will length it, Thanks Mark

My son and I completely restored (including a completely rebuilt engine) a 1968 Taco 99 a few years back. The engine was a 1972 Briggs 5HP - the exact same model and style as yours. We found the original foot peg on the right side to be way to short to use, so we cut them off and welded on new ones that were about 4" long- WAAAY better. For the rubber foot peg covers we purchased 4 and trimmed and contact-cemented them together to look like a single one piece cover. You could not tell the difference.
Michael

had to make a brake lever used a azusa arm it has a double square ran a weld on both sides and filed the rectangle.made the wheel spacers.Im using the pork chop air cleaner I have to rotate a 1/4 turn to clear the throttle it then ends up overtop of muffler so i put in a elbow. Jackshaft cables left
If you are using an engine (air cleaner) paint rated to withstand at least 500 degrees and the muffler is not actually touching the bottom of the air clean you can mount the muffler directly under the air cleaner straight back and you would not have to put an elbow on it. I have done that on at least 30 Briggs 3 & 5 HP engines with no problems whatsoever.
Michael

If you are using an engine (air cleaner) paint rated to withstand at least 500 degrees and the muffler is not actually touching the bottom of the air clean you can mount the muffler directly under the air cleaner straight back and you would not have to put an elbow on it. I have done that on at least 30 Briggs 3 & 5 HP engines with no problems whatsoever.
Michael
Michael
the cleaners chrome what I was worried about was the filter melting its foam
thanks Mark

As long as the muffler is not touching the air cleaner/foam and at least 1/4" away it will be fine. I've been doing it this way for almost 20 years...
Michael