New Tillotson 212 Engine Choke Issue

When in doubt I thought someone could help me here. I bought a new Tillotson from Go Power Sports a few months back. I just got it mounted on a DB30 ready to go. No mods to the engine yet just a stock Tillotson 212. I put gas in it and it starts right up with no issues then I take the off choke and she dies immediately. I checked everything I even took the carb apart and verified on fuel flow and nothing looked out of place. Put it all back together on the engine and it does the same thing dies when the choke is moved to the off position. I have worked on several Predator 212 engines and have never seen this. Called GPS and they said my engine is out of warranty being 8 months old and would not assist in helping me out. I told them its a brand new engine and I just put gas in it yesterday for the first time.

Could a brand new carb be bad right out of the box on this engine. I don't get it. I never had this issue with all of my 212 Predators.

Thoughts anyone.

mustangfrank

When in doubt I thought someone could help me here. I bought a new Tillotson from Go Power Sports a few months back. I just got it mounted on a DB30 ready to go. No mods to the engine yet just a stock Tillotson 212. I put gas in it and it starts right up with no issues then I take the off choke and she dies immediately. I checked everything I even took the carb apart and verified on fuel flow and nothing looked out of place. Put it all back together on the engine and it does the same thing dies when the choke is moved to the off position. I have worked on several Predator 212 engines and have never seen this. Called GPS and they said my engine is out of warranty being 8 months old and would not assist in helping me out. I told them its a brand new engine and I just put gas in it yesterday for the first time.

Could a brand new carb be bad right out of the box on this engine. I don't get it. I never had this issue with all of my 212 Predators.

Thoughts anyone.
Sounds like it is going lean when the choke is off. New fuel, line, filter, tank? Could have debris blocking a jet or passage, new fuel system or not.

Sounds like it is going lean when the choke is off. New fuel, line, filter, tank? Could have debris blocking a jet or passage, new fuel system or not.
Yep, all new fuel line, fuel filter and of course the tank is new with the engine. I took the fuel line off and watch it drain from the tank, it had a good flow and the carb float was not stuck as well. Also there was no debris that I could see any where. The entire setup is brand new. I also loosened up the gas cap to see if it was a vacuum issue and still with the choke off it dies. Very strange problem...........

SAS289

Will it stay idling if you run the plastic idle screw in? Turn it in further than you think it should be then try it chain off or rear tire off the ground.

Will it stay idling if you run the plastic idle screw in? Turn it in further than you think it should be then try it chain off or rear tire off the ground.
Hey SAS29,

What will that prove. Never had to mess with the default Idle screws on any 212's

SAS289

Hey SAS29,

What will that prove. Never had to mess with the default Idle screws on any 212's
It will be the second way to verify that the low speed side of the carb is not working. The first was not idling with the choke open. It runs with the choke because it's able to pull through the main jet. Once the choke gets opened the throttle goes to idle. Now it's on the idle side of the carb which is not working.

How long will it run with the choke on? If it stays running with the choke on but stalls out as soon as you open the choke then you need to make sure nothing is clogged on the idle side of the carb.

Turning the idle screw in too far may open the throttle enough to start pulling from the main jet. It's just a test.

It will be the second way to verify that the low speed side of the carb is not working. The first was not idling with the choke open. It runs with the choke because it's able to pull through the main jet. Once the choke gets opened the throttle goes to idle. Now it's on the idle side of the carb which is not working.

How long will it run with the choke on? If it stays running with the choke on but stalls out as soon as you open the choke then you need to make sure nothing is clogged on the idle side of the carb.

Turning the idle screw in too far may open the throttle enough to start pulling from the main jet. It's just a test.
Gotcha SAS29, definitely makes sense. I will do more troubleshooting this weekend. Thank you :)

Update,

I replaced the gas with new fuel. Removed the carb and cleaned everything with carb cleaner with it completely torn down. Checked all the gaskets and fuel line and filter. Removed the chain and put it on a stand. Put everything back together and the POS dies when the choke is
off. Fires up on the first pull with the choke on. Tilloston is a POS being this is a brand new engine. I should have bought a Predator 212.

I'm going to take it out back and put holes in it with my AK47.