So what are you welding with? (Post your set up here)

NorCal

Yeah that foot pedal thing was definately difficult to tend with. I know if I spent enough time, MAYBE I could have gotten better over time. But now I just look at a pack of shinny dimes in ahh, and think people who can Tig are too cool for me, lol.

desert rat

Gas welding is the base for all welding, this is why it is the first this you have to learn and pass to continue in class. If you go to collage courses. When I went to collage my book said titanium "could " be welded , that was the entire chapter. Years later I got to weld titanium and it is the best metal to weld in my opinion. Stick with it and one day it will just work for you. Some days my welds look like my first, I get so frustrated, then I see the problem and feel so stupped cause I know better.

Yeah that foot pedal thing was definately difficult to tend with. I know if I spent enough time, MAYBE I could have gotten better over time. But now I just look at a pack of shinny dimes in ahh, and think people who can Tig are too cool for me, lol.
One of the counter-intuitive things i found about TIG, is that it's different than other welding types regarding the foot pedal.
In other types of welding, when you want more heat, you push the torch/electrode in closer.
But TIG you can only go so close before you duff the electrode and have to grind it clean.
With TIG, you have to leave the electrode where it is and push harder on the pedal.
I have been using the pulse function lately on my machine and i really like it.

desert rat

Never welded that, can you only stick weld Titanium or can you Mig it?
Tig inside of a purge tank. Think a spotless sand blast tank filled with argon. Everything had to be in the tank before you could purge the air out and no opening it until you are done. Made you think the whole process through before you start. It maybe able to be welded in the open but I never have.

NorCal

Anyone have any advice on welding round frame tubing on mini bikes or karts? I have some road rash issues I’m looking to tend with. Tubes aren’t worn through (yet) but thats what I’m trying to avoid by stacking metal on top of it, grind smooth/ round, and repair paint.

.23 or .30?
Pass length? (so I don’t over heat it)

Attachments

Yeswelder 4in1 welder for the price and the warranty you cant beat it well for under 650 i think its got plasma cutter mig tig stick all in one machine and if it breaks u ship it back they ship u a new one free ive got 2 of them bought one for my self and my son in law but he bought a Miller that week so one day ill trade my spare off the warranty even transfer with them cant beat it. Then again ive never had a miller or Lincoln tig so cant really compare. But if miller or Lincoln would send me one to try out i wouldn't tell them no lol but price wise i just cant justify for my project's. And fabrication needs. If i was welding big boy equipment or trailers or something that was heavy duty id for sure upgrade buy for mini buje and go kart tubing it doea great

Anyone have any advice on welding round frame tubing on mini bikes or karts? I have some road rash issues I’m looking to tend with. Tubes aren’t worn through (yet) but thats what I’m trying to avoid by stacking metal on top of it, grind smooth/ round, and repair paint.

.23 or .30?
Pass length? (so I don’t over heat it)
I wouldn't worry about trying to repair the tubes. If it were mine and I was experiencing that kind of damage, I would fabricate a skid plate for it and let the plate take the beating instead of the bike frame. They can be bolt on with a little effort or weld on. Personally, I would just welderup and roll on. Make sure to create access holes for anything you need to access later on.

Or you could take a piece of tubing appropriately sized and split it lengthwise and use the 2 halves as the pieces to weld on the bottom of the tubes to serve as skid plates.

.023 is all you need but .030 will work just as well depending on your skill level.