Tilly 212?

BWL

Someone on my YouTube channel just mentioned I should try a Tilly 212 motor on my mud motor. Have any of your tried one of these motors? Do they really hit 10 hp straight out the box governed?

Someone on my YouTube channel just mentioned I should try a Tilly 212 motor on my mud motor. Have any of your tried one of these motors? Do they really hit 10 hp straight out the box governed?
I have a Tillotson 212 that I run on a Trailmaster MB200-2 mini bike. I too, was interested in the 10hp out of the box stock engine. My plan was to just install this engine on the mini bike in stock form and call it a day. NOT! Didn't happen! Here's a link to my thread on the engine and move to a Mikuni carb.

https://oldminibikes.com/forum/inde...kuni-22-mm-or-24-mm-carb.164378/#post-1197279

With all that said, it appears to be a pretty solid engine. ONE IMPORTANT POINT, THE CRANKSHAFT LENGTH ON THE TILLY (LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE SIDE COVER TO THE END OF THE CRANKSHAFT) IS ONLY 2 1/4", VERSUS THE HISUN OF 2 3/4" AND THE PREDATOR 212 OF 2 1/2". This caused me some issues with the stock TAV setup as the driver pulley wouldn't fit on the crankshaft, too short. Valve springs (supposed 26#) use auto style retainers, crankshaft is machined well no interference issues with different cams, supposed factory 10,000 RPM flywheel, stainless push rods, and versus the HISUN stock 196cc I would say that everything is a better grade.

Does it feel like a 10hp engine out of the box on my mini bike? NO! However, I may have a serious gearing issue with my mini bike based on weight and running a TAV with 38 tooth rear sprocket. Now that I've done a build and changed out the rear sprocket to 50 tooth only time will tell when I get a chance to test.

BWL

thx, fellas. Just got an email from GoPwersports after asking him about using the motor for mud motor work. This was his reply:

"I don’t know about that, I would think the 301 or 420 Predator would be best. its like you said you have to work the heck out of it to achieve the hp wanted."

Yup! No replacement for displacement. Looks like I'll have to save up for a 420!

I have a Tillotson 212 that I run on a Trailmaster MB200-2 mini bike. I too, was interested in the 10hp out of the box stock engine. My plan was to just install this engine on the mini bike in stock form and call it a day. NOT! Didn't happen! Here's a link to my thread on the engine and move to a Mikuni carb.

https://oldminibikes.com/forum/inde...kuni-22-mm-or-24-mm-carb.164378/#post-1197279

With all that said, it appears to be a pretty solid engine. ONE IMPORTANT POINT, THE CRANKSHAFT LENGTH ON THE TILLY (LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE SIDE COVER TO THE END OF THE CRANKSHAFT) IS ONLY 2 1/4", VERSUS THE HISUN OF 2 3/4" AND THE PREDATOR 212 OF 2 1/2". This caused me some issues with the stock TAV setup as the driver pulley wouldn't fit on the crankshaft, too short. Valve springs (supposed 26#) use auto style retainers, crankshaft is machined well no interference issues with different cams, supposed factory 10,000 RPM flywheel, stainless push rods, and versus the HISUN stock 196cc I would say that everything is a better grade.

Does it feel like a 10hp engine out of the box on my mini bike? NO! However, I may have a serious gearing issue with my mini bike based on weight and running a TAV with 38 tooth rear sprocket. Now that I've done a build and changed out the rear sprocket to 50 tooth only time will tell when I get a chance to test.
That's interesting with the crankshaft stub. I wish manufacturers could stop cheaping-out and leave that extra $0.02, 1/2" length of shaft.

thx, fellas. Just got an email from GoPwersports after asking him about using the motor for mud motor work. This was his reply:

"I don’t know about that, I would think the 301 or 420 Predator would be best. its like you said you have to work the heck out of it to achieve the hp wanted."

Yup! No replacement for displacement. Looks like I'll have to save up for a 420!
You're one of the few forum members who isn't having to deal with physical size characteristics. I still think you should stick a Hyabusa engine on the end of that stick, and show those fish who's boss! :D

toomanytoys

Not sure if 10hp out of the box but mine is stage 1 and it freaking rips! Hits 5500 rpm.

In drag race it runs over my stage 1 predator.

I ordered another one and am in the process of putting it on a bt200x with a tav and stage 1.

I know you are looking for a mud motor but just giving my thoughts on my experience

Being you don't have size restrictions I'd go massive.

SAS289

Not sure where you got 2 3/4" from. Maybe from the stock engine on the Trailmaster? If so that crankshaft is bike specific and not a standard clone crankshaft. I have 3 different clone crankshafts and they are all 2 1/4". Including the 16mm Hisun.

Also look into the Ducar 212 instead of the 212 Tillotson. Same engine, it's cheaper and it has a red blower housing which makes it faster.
+1 on the Ducar. PVL flywheel and tuneable(non-epa) carb out the box. That flywheel is certified to spin 10k. Tilly has the epa rated carb and the flywheel has been tested, but not rated\certified. And cost $40 more put the gate. Love that blue tin though...

I was looking for a hemi predator. Haven't been in stock for 6 months locally. And they are $149. $230 total for the Ducar, shipped. Add an Arc rod, 26# springs, banzai 265 carb, and it's a monster.

toomanytoys

+1 on the Ducar. PVL flywheel and tuneable(non-epa) carb out the box. That flywheel is certified to spin 10k. Tilly has the epa rated carb and the flywheel has been tested, but not rated\certified. And cost $40 more put the gate. Love that blue tin though...

I was looking for a hemi predator. Haven't been in stock for 6 months locally. And they are $149. $230 total for the Ducar, shipped. Add an Arc rod, 26# springs, banzai 265 carb, and it's a monster.
My tilly has a non epa carb.

I havent gotten to use my ducar yet. It's still sitting in the box. Not sure what to put it on. I want to do a go power sports rascal but darn I don't want to spend 1000 bucks on that kit

My tilly has a non epa carb.
Interesting. I think different sellers say different things about one or the other motor, depending on which one they stock.

The PVL flywheel was enough to earn my dollars. That and the whole being $40 less.

I spent $640 on the mega Moto 212 frame kit. Front and rear brakes, front shocks... Its not a retro looking bike at all. But it handles great.

Attachments

toomanytoys

Interesting. I think different sellers say different things about one or the other motor, depending on which one they stock.

The PVL flywheel was enough to earn my dollars. That and the whole being $40 less.

I spent $640 on the mega Moto 212 frame kit. Front and rear brakes, front shocks... Its not a retro looking bike at all. But it handles great.
Tilly is a little ripper. Pulls 6k no problem out of the box. Perfect for my woods bike.

I sold my mega moto 212 pro 2 weeks ago. It wasn't for me. Seat too low. Pegs in a funny spot. Didn't feel right to me.

Tilly is a little ripper. Pulls 6k no problem out of the box. Perfect for my woods bike.

I sold my mega moto 212 pro 2 weeks ago. It wasn't for me. Seat too low. Pegs in a funny spot. Didn't feel right to me.
I may move the pegs. But yeah. It's a different frame setup for sure. Im lovin' mine.

The Ducar ripped out the box too. But I always wanted to see what ungoverned engines were all about. And since it had the flywheel, it was halfway there. Just add a good rod and valve springs.