Swap 73 H50 lighting coil to 71 H50

Triley41395

So I go a 73 troy built tiller with a lighting coil but the engine is stuck. I pulled the flywheel to look and make sure that it did have the lighting coil but when I put the flywheel back on the crank broke. I do have a running craftsman 5hp tecumseh that I could put the coil on. I know that I need to use the flywheel and possibly the engine shroud. Just wondering if anyone knows of any reason it would not work. The craftsman has the fuel tank. Screenshot_20211012-211623_Facebook.jpg 20211012_172320.jpg 20211012_172349.jpg 20211012_172733.jpg Screenshot_20210828-141325_Gallery.jpg

mustangfrank

So I go a 73 troy built tiller with a lighting coil but the engine is stuck. I pulled the flywheel to look and make sure that it did have the lighting coil but when I put the flywheel back on the crank broke. I do have a running craftsman 5hp tecumseh that I could put the coil on. I know that I need to use the flywheel and possibly the engine shroud. Just wondering if anyone knows of any reason it would not work. The craftsman has the fuel tank. View attachment 283151 View attachment 283152 View attachment 283153 View attachment 283154 View attachment 283155
Yes those parts will swap, if they really are 1973 and 1971. Engine in the first picture looks like it might be a 1983 though based on that sticker and lack of a metal tag, then NO they are different crank tapers. Both are H50 engines too, not HS50, hopefully that was a typo in the title.

Triley41395

Yes those parts will swap, if they really are 1973 and 1971. Engine in the first picture looks like it might be a 1983 though based on that sticker and lack of a metal tag, then NO they are different crank tapers. Both are H50 engines too, not HS50, hopefully that was a typo in the title.
You are probably correct on both things. I thought that the Troybuilt tiller was a 73 solely based on "My dad bought it back in the 70s" which is the story I got, and they are probably H50 not HS50 because I really don't know what I'm talking about. I fixed the title, thank you sir. I'll pull the engine shroud and make sure that the tapers are different and if so I'll go on the hunt for a new donor engine.

Do you know if they could be put on a smaller (H40) or larger(H60) engine although a 5hp tecumseh should be fairly easy to locate?

mustangfrank

You are probably correct on both things. I thought that the Troybuilt tiller was a 73 solely based on "My dad bought it back in the 70s" which is the story I got, and they are probably H50 not HS50 because I really don't know what I'm talking about. I fixed the title, thank you sir. I'll pull the engine shroud and make sure that the tapers are different and if so I'll go on the hunt for a new donor engine.

Do you know if they could be put on a smaller (H40) or larger(H60) engine although a 5hp tecumseh should be fairly easy to locate?
Yes they will swap between similar vintage H engines, up to H70, maybe even HM80. I'm not 100% but I believe the points assembly/lighting coil is the same as an HS or fits, you'll just need to find an HS lighted magnet flywheel. I'll double check that inside diameter is the same when I get outside later.

Curious.,
Is that tiller engine very heavy? Compared to the other H engine. Many tiller engines back in
the day were cast iron block's. Making them heavier. Just interested.
Regards,
Joe51

mustangfrank

Yes they will swap between similar vintage H engines, up to H70, maybe even HM80. I'm not 100% but I believe the points assembly/lighting coil is the same as an HS or fits, you'll just need to find an HS lighted magnet flywheel. I'll double check that inside diameter is the same when I get outside later.
Yeah, I confirmed the inside diameter of the flywheels is the same but I don't know anything about mixing the H coil with the HS flywheels. The different lighting coil spacing might affect voltage or hertz. Probably best to keep them together as a set or research it further.

Keep in mind once you loosen the bolts holding the stator/coil assembly or swap them to another block, you SHOULD check/adjust the engine ignition timing which requires specialized tools.

Triley41395

Curious.,
Is that tiller engine very heavy? Compared to the other H engine. Many tiller engines back in
the day were cast iron block's. Making them heavier. Just interested.
Regards,
Joe51
I really couldn't tell you yet because it is still attached to the tiller. The engine with the tank still attached is also off a tiller but to me doesn't seem heavier but I am far from an expert. Even if they are heavier it doesn't bother me because I'm getting to old to go to fast.

Triley41395

Yeah, I confirmed the inside diameter of the flywheels is the same but I don't know anything about mixing the H coil with the HS flywheels. The different lighting coil spacing might affect voltage or hertz. Probably best to keep them together as a set or research it further.

Keep in mind once you loosen the bolts holding the stator/coil assembly or swap them to another block, you SHOULD check/adjust the engine ignition timing which requires specialized tools.

I didn't take the lighting coil off for that very reason. I took another engine to someone who knows what they are doing and this one will probably go as well.