Diesel Mini Bike

mustangfrank

I want to use my murray track 2 for a diesel build. Would that be a good platform?
Kind of a vague question, what's the goal? "Dare to be different" or just what's available/laying around?

The intended usage would be my biggest factor on what kind of bike to toss one on. The diesel thought crossed my mind before but the weight penalty didn't appeal to me.

Post some pics.

SAS289

Have you looked at the questions about the engine at the Amazon site? One of the questions is "What size is the output shaft?". Someone answered "20mm". That's too big for common clutches and torque converters. Not sure why it would be 20mm. Looks like they are doing a diesel version of a Honda clone.

Make sure you know what you're getting before you buy.

Hopefully we don't hear from you in the future with something like "I just pulled the governor out of my diesel and now it won't run"

my question would be if it can rev like a gas engine. I picked up a 7hp robin and it seems to only have a small operating range. Good for a tractor or something but not a gokart / minibike application

Attachments

MJL

Have you looked at the questions about the engine at the Amazon site? One of the questions is "What size is the output shaft?". Someone answered "20mm". That's too big for common clutches and torque converters. Not sure why it would be 20mm. Looks like they are doing a diesel version of a Honda clone.

Make sure you know what you're getting before you buy.

Hopefully we don't hear from you in the future with something like "I just pulled the governor out of my diesel and now it won't run"
How hard would it be to crank up and file off a mm? Keyway would probably need a little work too.

I'm thinking a 30 series torque converter with light springs to put the power down.

It'd be an interesting SHTF vehicle. You could run it on several different fuels. Even homemade. Build a little trailer for it to haul stuff.

MJL

Another thing to consider is parts availability. One of my favorite things about GX200 clones is rediculously cheap stock parts and lots of them.

desert rat

Can not ship to California , go figure((see locked thread)). There is a cool factor to this but not going to be very rideable. RPM range is from idle to a max of 2200 wot. It will kill drive trains without even trying. The use of a TAV is mandatory, It will kill anything else. This type of engine is made to come up to speed and then apply the load, then pull like a pissed off mule all day. No turbo it will be gutless until it's up on it's "happy" spot, 1500 RPM+. Just my .02