Just picked up a couple minibikes - a 60's Cushman Trailster and a funky step thru

toomanytoys

I wondered if it was possible to put a clone in a trailster! Looks like it's on there. But no 2 speed transmission.

Sorry can't answer your question about clutches though. That step through looks a little scary though.

Attachments

I want to take the clone motor off the Cushman and put a Briggs 8 hp with a 1" shaft on it. Can I get a centrifugal clutch reccomendation from you guys? I plan to put the clone motor in the step thru.
Nice! You have any closer pics of how they fabbed/mounted that clone in there?
I have a Trailster and I've been contemplating putting a period correct Briggs into it.
I have a couple Hilliard Extreme clutches on my bikes and they seem to hold up pretty well. They make a 1" shaft version. I'm installing one on my El Burro soon..

mustangfrank

I want to take the clone motor off the Cushman and put a Briggs 8 hp with a 1" shaft on it. Can I get a centrifugal clutch reccomendation from you guys? I plan to put the clone motor in the step thru.
I just researched 1" centrifugal clutch options for a Power Sport 10hp I plan to run, came up with the Noram Star as my best option rated for that power and full bore. It's not cheap (150-175) and only for 35p chain but multiple sprocket tooth counts available and needle bearings above 14 tooth.

I have not ordered one yet, like you I was trying to research options.

I wondered if it was possible to put a clone in a trailster! Looks like it's on there. But no 2 speed transmission.

Sorry can't answer your question about clutches though. That step through looks a little scary though.
Yea they flipped the wheel around
Nice! You have any closer pics of how they fabbed/mounted that clone in there?
I have a Trailster and I've been contemplating putting a period correct Briggs into it.
I have a couple Hilliard Extreme clutches on my bikes and they seem to hold up pretty well. They make a 1" shaft version. I'm installing one on my El Burro soon..
Looks like they used a plate. I'll get a better pic later

Attachments

I just researched 1" centrifugal clutch options for a Power Sport 10hp I plan to run, came up with the Noram Star as my best option rated for that power and full bore. It's not cheap (150-175) and only for 35p chain but multiple sprocket tooth counts available and needle bearings above 14 tooth.

I have not ordered one yet, like you I was trying to research options.
Yea I need a 40p chain one. The wheel has an internal drum and is 40p. Thats a little pricey too!

so the rear sprocket has 65 teeth. According to the ratio chart, that would give me a 4.64 ratio. Its for a 8hp B&S. The rear tire size is 4.75 X 7.75. I Weigh 220 and would like to be able to carry an adult passenger if possible. Not looking to break speed records but want to be able to actually move also lol. Sound about right?
Seems a bit steep to me.. on flat pavement it will scoot along at a decent clip. Many mini's hover around 6-7;1 ratio, and the "utility", or "sportsman" type bikes are geared very low (15;1, etc) for hauling and climbing.

The Trailsters were originally fitted with a two speed gearbox that gave them a low range for off road or low speeds..

mustangfrank

so the rear sprocket has 65 teeth. According to the ratio chart, that would give me a 4.64 ratio. Its for a 8hp B&S. The rear tire size is 4.75 X 7.75. I Weigh 220 and would like to be able to carry an adult passenger if possible. Not looking to break speed records but want to be able to actually move also lol. Sound about right?
A TAV would work great to pull that ratio with an 8hp but it looks like there are at least 2 tubes blocking you from using one. Would one fit without running the stock TAV cover?

mustangfrank

Chinese made is a lot cheaper. Any thoughts on the 2 offered on their page?
Fit would be the deciding factor, looks like at a minimum you'd have to move the engine forward. Couldn't remember the site that had the top view with dimensions but I've seen it.

I never buy knockoff clutches, I believe you get what you pay for...plenty of others will disagree or at least agree the Chinese belts are crap.

toomanytoys

Fit would be the deciding factor, looks like at a minimum you'd have to move the engine forward. Couldn't remember the site that had the top view with dimensions but I've seen it.

I never buy knockoff clutches, I believe you get what you pay for...plenty of others will disagree or at least agree the Chinese belts are crap.
My Chinese TAV for 60 bucks from Amazon has been amazing. No problems. Lots and lots of hard miles. I've had no issues. Did upgrade to a comet yellow spring and cleaned and lubed it a few times.

Belt that came with it was trash. It exploded but I was pushing it HARD on some pretty tough hill climbs off road. NOS Comet belt has lasted at least 3 times as long as the Chinese belt with the same treatment.