Fox near the finish line...

copyman

Finally nearing the end of a 1970 Fox Trail Tramp rebuild (see pics). Finding out how hard parts are to find for Fox. I thought my Hilltopper was rare and parts almost non-exsistant but Fox is turning out to be just as much a challenge! Need at least one brake caliper assembly (see last pic) & clutch cover. Been looking for months. If anyone can help would really appreciate if you could PM me and work out a price. Or if anyone can offer some ideas on how to stop this bike:scooter: I've looked at other calipers online and none match up. The mount holes are 2-1/2" from center to center of holes.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving Fox mini bike after seat 001.jpg Fox mini bike after seat 009.jpg Fox mini bike after seat 021.jpg Fox mini bike after seat 015.jpg Brake caliper installed.jpg

Last edited:

copyman

Nice bike! I'm no "Foxpert" but isn't the chain supposed to ride on the inside the slot on the motor plate?
You are correct! When I got the bike (see before pics) someone had converted this trail Tramp from the original 2 speed to a single speed. Originally one chain would be where it is now and a 2nd chain through the cutout on engine mounting plate. s-l1600.jpg DSCF2802.jpg fox1970_cat10.jpg

Last edited:

copyman

Sorry I forgot about the two speed set up. Would it be better to reverse the clutch and run the chain thru the engine mount? Less stuff moving around you leg while riding seems better to me.
Thanks for the reply

Good point. I like that idea and going to look into changing it around. As you can see in pic think I will have to change the whole shaft?
When I first realized the original bike was 2 speed I looked for months trying to find the 2 speed setup to make bike as close to correct as I could but as I've posted parts are almost non-existent for Fox bikes. DSCF2818.jpg

pomfish

There is a reason that the 2 speed thing only stayed around for like 2 years.
However, it also is why you can find low mileage bikes because they were "retired" after the 2 speed failures.

Should be able to reuse that shaft with addition of another gear.
Gear it somewhere in the middle torque range as a single speed and enjoy it.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Later,

Keith

It might be worth doing it. Also, make sure you have the right gearing with those 10 inch wheels. I'm sure someone here can help you out with that.

copyman

There is a reason that the 2 speed thing only stayed around for like 2 years.
However, it also is why you can find low mileage bikes because they were "retired" after the 2 speed failures.
Should be able to reuse that shaft with addition of another gear.
Gear it somewhere in the middle torque range as a single speed and enjoy it.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Later,

Keith
Thanks everyone for the replies,

Keith,

I don't have any experience with 2 speed setups and not sure what it's suppose to look like, etc. Not to sound to stupid but are you saying to mount a sprocket on that fat part on shaft or remove the fat part first?
I can't see how that fat part can come off jackshaft? Looks like a pin is press in or something else is holding the fat part on?

Thanks again for the help

pomfish

The fat part looks like a bushing that has to go bye bye.
First thing is remove the gear from the outside of the frame on the shaft so it can be moved.
Down the edge of the shaft is a groove that the parts drive off of, you need to loosen all the parts on the inside of the frame (the sprocket, the collar and any C-clips if present, so you can drive the shaft to the outside of the frame thereby opening access to adding a new gear on the engine side of the frame.

The bushing may need heat to coax it into letting go but normally PB Blaster soaked on it overnight should help a lot.
It will make sense once you get going with it. Take your time.
The gear on the outside now looks way to small for the gearing you will need. Run the largest gear you can without the chain hitting the frame. Trial and error.
Ask here for someone who has done it before as well.
I have had this bike before but tore it down for parts so cannot give you known advice of gear size. It also had trashed 2 speed.
Mine had a very good 4 hp Tec engine, they are nice bikes just troublesome.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Thanks,
Keith

copyman

The fat part looks like a bushing that has to go bye bye.
First thing is remove the gear from the outside of the frame on the shaft so it can be moved.
Down the edge of the shaft is a groove that the parts drive off of, you need to loosen all the parts on the inside of the frame (the sprocket, the collar and any C-clips if present, so you can drive the shaft to the outside of the frame thereby opening access to adding a new gear on the engine side of the frame.

The bushing may need heat to coax it into letting go but normally PB Blaster soaked on it overnight should help a lot.
It will make sense once you get going with it. Take your time.
The gear on the outside now looks way to small for the gearing you will need. Run the largest gear you can without the chain hitting the frame. Trial and error.
Ask here for someone who has done it before as well.
I have had this bike before but tore it down for parts so cannot give you known advice of gear size. It also had trashed 2 speed.
Mine had a very good 4 hp Tec engine, they are nice bikes just troublesome.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Thanks,
Keith
Thanks for the detailed info. Will report back as soon as I get a chance to change the setup.
Was thinking another good thing with changing the drive setup is I can use the smaller clutch cover if I have one custom made. Both are on the brochure page I posted earlier. The bike will end up being a Trail FX instead of 2 speed Trail Tramp.

Nice bike. Save that bushing with the C clip. That is a ground and hardened bushing for the original 1st gear of the 2 speed set up.
It is pinned to the shaft via a roll pin. Should be able to nock it out and the bushing would slide off.
Regards,
Joe51