How/What do you use to Polish Parts to be chromed?

FunWithStuff

Hello! So I was wondering what methods everyone on this site uses for polishing and prepping parts. I know you you basically need to get the part to where it's nothing but bare shiny metal, but on some parts especially pitted ones it can be a tough job to do.

I would like to know what tools everyone uses and what their methods are. I've been using mostly sandpaper of different grits, steel wool, and a wire brush on an angle grinder until now but I would like to see if there are any other tools or methods I could try. I really appreciate any help I can receive!

Most/many chrome shops aren't interested in seeing the part down to bare metal. If there is severe rust or corrosion damage, you might want to use the materials you outlined, to eliminated that part. The shops acid dip the parts, in the prepratory process. This removes most paint and other foreign material.

FunWithStuff

Most/many chrome shops aren't interested in seeing the part down to bare metal. If there is severe rust or corrosion damage, you might want to use the materials you outlined, to eliminated that part. The shops acid dip the parts, in the prepratory process. This removes most paint and other foreign material.
That's cool. Thanks for sharing that info with me! Yeah I've never done any prepping before but I've been told if you can prepare your parts ahead of time it can reduce the cost at the shop because the part mainly has to be dipped if it's ready.

That's cool. Thanks for sharing that info with me! Yeah I've never done any prepping before but I've been told if you can prepare your parts ahead of time it can reduce the cost at the shop because the part mainly has to be dipped if it's ready.
Your best bet in that situation is to contact the shop you want to use, and ask them what they like to see for prep
Just my .02

I'm looking to have bars and fenders re chromed and the two places I felt would do a good job both said "if you prep them the price goes up" Google dynamic custome chrome and on their " your project" page they kinda tell you why.

Shops generally like to prep the work. What they typically do after removing any old plating is to polish and buff.
Small pits can be filled with a copper/buff layer. Basically this is a build up layer(s) of copper prior to nickel and chrome.

I do all my own polishing ,the plater I use is industrial thousands of pieces a day,He does mostly new product chairs tables racks,He does inhouse polishing and also truck loads from polishing companys for chrome.I have delt with them for about 20 years.I drop my parts off they hang them and plate them defects and all my chrome cost is low and fast turn around but when you start polishing you will see why they charge what they do.
I dont have anything copper plated it just too much time fore me and expense just nickel and chrome

Rupp 72

If you want something triple chrome plated "show chrome". Most places that serve the restoration market don't care if you prep it and likely won't give you hardly any discount. The polishing, sanding, dent repair, filling and so forth is all better left to the pros who have years and years of experience. Also you can polish something up to be chrome plated and say you'll do all the prep but most shops won't dip it because it's not worth them risking their reputation so you can save a couple bucks. If you buff it ahead of time they will just redo everything you did and do a better job. Leave it to the professionals is the moral of the story.

FB_IMG_1640931614693.jpg FB_IMG_1640931658760.jpg