HS40 engine on our Rupp?

old shed finds

Most of all thanks everyone for help and information....
I hate to do it but I have a few HS40 snowblower engine's and threw one on the Rupp Sprint project
..Now with the goofy small flywheel with the ring gear cause too much vibration? It's a low hours engine but still doing a valve job and rings.Markus will know....

markus

If the flywheel is in balance and installed correctly The size would be pretty much irrelavant for vibrations. May effect how it ramps up or comes down depending on weight difference. I have never had or run one of those engines since they were snowblower specific to know if those were poorly balanced wheels or not. Not something I would find local or could justify spending the money to have shipped in since I would not really have a need for those parts.

cfh

I would like that flywheel if you are selling it.
I've used that flywheel before on a build. Put it on the lathe and took off the electric start teeth, and it turns out to be a really nice flywheel. It's not a common flywheel. but it's similar to the 32517 flywheel, aside from the electric start teeth.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried using a flywheel from a vertical shaft rotary mower? They weigh less. 50 yrs ago I put one on my side popper go kart, was tough to pull start, but would rev up quick, so quick it out powered the centrifugal clutch. Maybe the clutch was worn, I dunno, was just a 13 yr old kid.

I would like that flywheel if you are selling it.
I've used that flywheel before on a build. Put it on the lathe and took off the electric start teeth, and it turns out to be a really nice flywheel. It's not a common flywheel. but it's similar to the 32517 flywheel, aside from the electric start teeth.
I'll trade you a 32517 flywheel for one with teeth. Would be a shame to remove the teeth when i could use them lol

markus

I'll trade you a 32517 flywheel for one with teeth. Would be a shame to remove the teeth when i could use them lol
@Jag57 has a complete engine with one on it for sale, for like 50 bucks. which would also yeild the correct shroud (has to have a special shroud for early curved top or use a later model square topped) You do realize you wont be able to run any type of charging system off the ignition system right?

cfh

Mass i have the curved top shroud too. If you're not using the teeth, pretty sure you can use any rounded shroud (seems like i've done this before, memory a bit hazzy though.) But if you want to use the teeth for an electric starter, yea, you would be best with an original shroud, as it has the proper cut outs for the starter.

Wait- does that flywheel have the small taper? Yes i see that it is a points flywheel.
If so i can't use it on this engine since it has the big taper and is non-points engine. I already have the proper shroud but it's a square top and that's ok
Was just looking to save some flywheel weight but keep the starter teeth

cfh

Yea that allow flywheel with the teeth i have is from an HS40 from about 1970. So it's a points motor with the small taper.

i am confused why you want an electric start though on an HS50. it seems overkill. and complicated.

Yea that allow flywheel with the teeth i have is from an HS40 from about 1970. So it's a points motor with the small taper.

i am confused why you want an electric start though on an HS50. it seems overkill. and complicated.
I am working on making my bike "street legal" with blinkers, brake lights, etc. I would also like the option of electric start as well. Still will have the option of the pull start as a backup.

That might seem like overkill to some, but it's really not too complicated. Battery, solenoid, starter, charging coil.
Also i am thinking about building some sort of vehicle to pull a yard cart for landscaping around my property and would like for that to be electric start.

Just thought it would be a cool thing to build, i guess we'll see

cfh

Your Trail Flight is street legal (assuming you have the lights working.) Just go through Vermont and get a plate. Easy stuff. you don't need to do anything else to make it street legal.

I looked into that, and they are cracking down on it but i think i can still do it.
It's not easy to do anything regarding vehicles in Massachusetts. They really do go out of their way to make it as difficult as possible.
All lights are supposed to be a certain height from the ground, certain width, etc. Engine is supposed to be under 50cc. Vehicle is supposed to have a VIN, etc.

cfh

Forget MA. do the license through Vermont. It's *way* easier, and all done from the comfort of your computer. I have done a couple bikes that way and it's pretty easy and inexpensive. In fact i'm thinking of doing all my cars through vermont. But anywho, i titled/plated a clone Honda CT70 through vermont with just a bill of sale (which was just from a buddy of mine.) Again it's the way you want to go.

As long as the VIN requirement is still not necessary i should be good. If not i might be screwed in the long run.
I can hopefully
Forget MA. do the license through Vermont. It's *way* easier, and all done from the comfort of your computer. I have done a couple bikes that way and it's pretty easy and inexpensive. In fact i'm thinking of doing all my cars through vermont. But anywho, i titled/plated a clone Honda CT70 through vermont with just a bill of sale (which was just from a buddy of mine.) Again it's the way you want to go.
So did you register it in VT as a motorcycle? I don't have a motorcycle license.
thanks