Fuel preservative choices

What are your opinions and experiences with fuel additives. I have been using Star Tron in all my gas applications for a long time now. Sadly, everything I have has not been touched for a minimum of 4 summers. Some longer. 2018 was the last productive summer I had. Minibikes, Golf carts, chain saws, weed wackers and so on. I want to try and get these things sorted this winter and usable again for next summer. I am at least 3 years behind the curve of what is the current best practice.

Is there anything new on the market or any reasons not to go back with Star Tron in the fresh gas?

Thanks for contributing!

Doug

Sta-Bil Storage Fuel Stabilizer
I have been using it for over 20 years in our California ethanol -laden gasoline. I have some bikes that have had the same fuel in them for over 2 years with no problems whatsoever. The bikes start right up, run great and no carb problems. So I have never seen the need to buy ethanol-free gasoline.
Michael

Minimichael

Sta-Bil Storage Fuel Stabilizer
I have been using it for over 20 years in our California ethanol -laden gasoline. I have some bikes that have had the same fuel in them for over 2 years with no problems whatsoever. The bikes start right up, run great and no carb problems. So I have never seen the need to buy ethanol-free gasoline.
Michael
Sta-bil has worked for me on my mowers and sno-blowers the last 20 yrs. I add it to a half full tank before winterizing, run it a few minutes, and shut it down. I don't even shut the fuel off or drain the carb. Everything's pretty much always started right up the next season. Oh, and my mower lives outside.

Last edited:

Triley41395

I use a combo sta-bil and ethanol free gas and everything always works the next season. I use it in my tiller, mowers and chainsaws. I've only been into mini's for a short time but that is what I will do for them also.

C'mon Doug, that's like staring a thread on what is the best penetrant, and I think you know the answer to that one:D

Back when there used to be small engine shops (remember those) every single one I've been in had a prominent sign stating not to use gas more than 30 days old. Regular gas, ethanol or not will degrade in about one month unless treated with something. Try to use Ethanol free gas ONLY, if you can get it where you live. Ethanol is murder for these small carbs. Hell my B Bodys all get better gas mileage with it, which offsets the extra cost.

I'll go against the grain on this one. I used to use STA BIL years ago but no more. SEAFOAM for me in all of my small engines. The factory rep came in to my local NAPA and gave us the whole dog and pony show, how it's made from petroleum and it's good for fuel storage, adding to the oil, burning old top end fuel deposits etc. They say it'll preserve fuel for up to a year, I've been using since it for years with no problems. Plus he gave me a bunch of cool stickers for my toolbox so it has to work, right? When I used Stabil back in the day it was hit or miss, had some fuel go bad in under a year more than a few times. Now whenever I store a car for the winter I add a can to the tank and have zero fuel related start up issues in the spring. Also all of my gas cans for the small engines (mowers, minibikes, trimmers and so on) get treated with Seafoam regardless if I'll use it right away or not. This way if I happen to leave gas in anything for an extended period I'm covered.
With all that said, even with the Seafoam if the fuel is a year or so old I don't chance it anymore. I just pump it out of the tank and dump it in my trusty Ranger. That thin will burn anything!

Last edited:
Personal blend is ethanol free race gas with a minimun of a 2 years shelf life with some Marvel Mystery Oil blended in at their recomended dosage.

Also put a thin piece of a plastic bag over the filler neck on the tank then install the gas cap as usual.

O.J.

Star Tron is, IMO, is absolutely the best product for what you want. It came out for use in big outboards on bass boats because the ethanol gas was forming condensation which after a bit would form water droplets. When they made their way to the combustion chambers on the big 2 strokes it was bye bye bottom end. I have used it for years and come springtime, everything starts right up.

Old guy here in town…well older guy….has been selling bulk gas for 65 years…states you can’t store gas like you could 20 years ago….states it goes bad in 30 days… I quit buying more than 5 gallons at a time….but star tron is the only way to go….sta-bil, as did about everything else, started sucking years ago when the tree huggers started running the country….

I'm with superflea: IMO, StarTron is the best out there. I'd have to say, one of the worst exposures for fuel is in the marine environment. Leave your boat docked (and venting) in what be might considered the most moisture-entraining locations you could think of, and you'll soon come to see what I mean. I've owned a number of boats since 1976 and can tell you outright; this stuff works when it comes to having to let fuel sit, and not only for extended periods of time, but sit under what could be the worst conditions ever. Another thing I've come to learn is; the longer the fuel is expected to sit, the more you should add. Simple as that.

I haven't seen the need for fuel stabilizers in my experience. Minibike tanks are small. Keep it full of fuel when not in use to minimize condensation. Use ethanol free gas - always. It stays good for a very long time. If you feel like the gas is too old, drain the old fuel and refill the tank with fresh gas when you want to ride. No drain plug? Just tip the bike onto its side and pour it out the filler hole. I put the old gas into my pickup truck. I figure that 2 qts of old has mixed with a full tank of new gas on my truck is really still just new gas overall. In the end, nothing is better for your bike/car/boat/motorcycle/lawnmower than running it periodically.

Star Tron is, IMO, is absolutely the best product for what you want. It came out for use in big outboards on bass boats because the ethanol gas was forming condensation which after a bit would form water droplets. When they made their way to the combustion chambers on the big 2 strokes it was bye bye bottom end. I have used it for years and come springtime, everything starts right up.
And this is the reason I changed from Seafoam to Star Tron. It's a marine environment product. Thats about as harsh as it gets for fuel.

I used Stabil years ago and then got the hype on using Seafoam. But when I was introduced to Star Tron I changed over. I haven't had any problems with any of them at all. I always add it to the can and them fill it. Not much chance that it isn't thoroughly mixed.

I have no clue where you can buy Ethanol free gas near me. Most of the time living out in the country is the best but it does hamper a few things. And most of those things just don't make any difference comparatively. I haven't had a next door neighbor that was less than 100 feet from my home since I was 12. Haven't had one within 100 yards in 16 years. And I love it!

My downfall is the 3 1/2 years that I have not been able to be productive. Nothing and I mean nothing has been touched in my shop in 3 summers. I have sat and watched a friend accomplish a small project that I had the tools for and he didn't but I was just a JAFO. I hope to start picking away at all of this mess when the weather cools. I have a lot of cleaning and flushing to do. Honestly, I have more to do than I have years left, I think.

Thanks to everyone for the information. My intent was to try and catch up since I have been mostly out of the loop for so long.

Doug

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
i have used stable and lucas fuel system cleaner with 90 octane ethanol free fuel for years without any issue. every tank gets it. the classic autos get the same blend also since the sit for a week or two at a time.

cfh

I watched taryl's tests of gas stabilizer. bottom line, none of them work, they are all basically the same, and all basically snake oil. your best bet is just to buy alcohol free gas. But this is his last video on the subject. he starts off saying there was too much drama in the whole experiment. but then he goes on to describe his tests and others' test of the products... and still comes to the same conclusion... none of the stabilizers really work.

I watched taryl's tests of gas stabilizer. bottom line, none of them work, they are all basically the same, and all basically snake oil. your best bet is just to buy alcohol free gas. But this is his last video on the subject. he starts off saying there was too much drama in the whole experiment. but then he goes on to describe his tests and others' test of the products... and still comes to the same conclusion... none of the stabilizers really work.
Taryl cracks me up! I don't use a fuel stabilizer. I try to run TruFuel in my stock small engine stuff. Since I've switched I haven't had a need for it...

toomanytoys

Taryl cracks me up! I don't use a fuel stabilizer. I try to run TruFuel in my stock small engine stuff. Since I've switched I haven't had a need for it...
I use tru fuel in my weed eater and chain saw. I didn’t touch my chain saw in a year and it fired right up 3rd pull and ran perfect.

I ended up with 10 gallons of the stuff for 30 bucks on clearance at a local hardware store. 5 year shelf life unopened.