Need some help!

Rybeckk

Need some help guys! New to the group.
Just picked up my tricub that has been in the family since new. It was at our old place in Upstate NY. It was freshened up and a new motor put on probably about 15 years ago. Going to put 8hp engine on it. Looking for following parts or info on modern parts to get. New large sprocket, chain, and of course a Ski setup or what else someone has done with an axel bracket and random ski. Thanks in advance for any help! Want to see this family heirloom come back to life!!! 7A1832C8-C537-4C62-A06A-D13AEEE5CCEF.jpeg 621DE173-CF63-4AE5-AEB1-05C2668E77C1.jpeg

Nice looking trike. There are a few folks here, that have them. I'm sure they will be along to help. Skis are hard to come by, no matter what the brand name. Getting rid of the lawnmower tires, on the rear, and replacing them with proper "terra tires", will go a long way to making it a much more fun, enjoyable ride. An 8 horse engine would be a nice upgrade. You are probably already running #40 chain, so you are good there. A heavy duty torque converter, built to take 8 or more horsepower will be necessary. Look for "40 Series" converters. Check with "Hent", (top of the page and forum owner), to see what he has available. He'll lead down the right path.

Rybeckk

Nice looking trike. There are a few folks here, that have them. I'm sure they will be along to help. Skis are hard to come by, no matter what the brand name. Getting rid of the lawnmower tires, on the rear, and replacing them with proper "terra tires", will go a long way to making it a much more fun, enjoyable ride. An 8 horse engine would be a nice upgrade. You are probably already running #40 chain, so you are good there. A heavy duty torque converter, built to take 8 or more horsepower will be necessary. Look for "40 Series" converters. Check with "Hent", (top of the page and forum owner), to see what he has available. He'll lead down the right path.
Thank you so much for the input!!! Most definitely will!

Nice looking Tricub there. I have original 5hp Briggs and 8hp Briggs versions. The 8hp frame is slightly different than 5hp in that it has battery bracket on the LH side for elec start version and fuel tank bracket on the RH side since engine-mounted tank won't fit under the body (engine also equipped with pulse fuel pump). They also doubled up the rear body mount isolators to provide clearance for the taller 8hp engine.

I don't have any of the specific parts you're requesting, but many parts overlap with minibikes and those parts houses are good sources. Regarding the ski, there are many generic snowmobile skis that can be adapted. You'll just need to fabricate a bracket to go between the axle shaft and the ski.

Rybeckk

Nice looking Tricub there. I have original 5hp Briggs and 8hp Briggs versions. The 8hp frame is slightly different than 5hp in that it has battery bracket on the LH side for elec start version and fuel tank bracket on the RH side since engine-mounted tank won't fit under the body (engine also equipped with pulse fuel pump). They also doubled up the rear body mount isolators to provide clearance for the taller 8hp engine.

I don't have any of the specific parts you're requesting, but many parts overlap with minibikes and those parts houses are good sources. Regarding the ski, there are many generic snowmobile skis that can be adapted. You'll just need to fabricate a bracket to go between the axle shaft and the ski.
Any idea what size sprocket to get? Mine the teeth are all worn down

Large sprocket is #40 x 54 teeth. Jackshaft sprocket is #40 x 9 teeth for 5/8" shaft. The 9 tooth is usually totally worn out, but replacements are readily available.

The original clutch on all 5hp and 8hp Tricubs was a Comet CAT 99 series. These are pretty much extinct, but you can still find some of the belts around today. For closest OEM replacement, on one of my 8hps I went with 30 Series driver... https://www.mfgsupply.com/219554a-w1.html and driven... https://www.mfgsupply.com/219457a.html

Attached is a parts book screenshot of the ski option for a Tricart. It's the exact same ski for Tricubs, but Tricubs don't need the 2 axle spacers (item #1)
Screenshot 2022-12-05 130659.jpg

Rybeckk

Large sprocket is #40 x 54 teeth. Jackshaft sprocket is #40 x 9 teeth for 5/8" shaft. The 9 tooth is usually totally worn out, but replacements are readily available.

The original clutch on all 5hp and 8hp Tricubs was a Comet CAT 99 series. These are pretty much extinct, but you can still find some of the belts around today. For closest OEM replacement, on one of my 8hps I went with 30 Series driver... https://www.mfgsupply.com/219554a-w1.html and driven... https://www.mfgsupply.com/219457a.html

Attached is a parts book screenshot of the ski option for a Tricart. It's the exact same ski for Tricubs, but Tricubs don't need the 2 axle spacers (item #1)
View attachment 296769
Thank you SO much for information you’re the best! With the big sprocket have you ever replaced it or know of a good aftermarket one that fits 100%?

Cuda54

If you wat a little more speed you can add 2 or 3 teeth on the chain driver and keep the rear the same. If you add a bigger engine it will make it more fun. You need the tires that are like my rear of my TRI-ROD my son is 6' 3".

Attachments

If you wat a little more speed you can add 2 or 3 teeth on the chain driver and keep the rear the same. If you add a bigger engine it will make it more fun. You need the tires that are like my rear of my TRI-ROD my son is 6' 3".
Thanks for the tip…I’ll definitely look into that since I’m 6ft

Thank you SO much for information you’re the best! With the big sprocket have you ever replaced it or know of a good aftermarket one that fits 100%?
Most industrial supply houses should be able to fix you up with a steel #40 x 54T blank sprocket, but you'll need to have the pilot hole opened up and holes drilled to fit the diff. I think that many of the minibike/gokart parts houses have aluminum sprocket blanks that could be adapted.