clutch choice advice neaded

joshua. c.

I have a built up Briggs Animal racing motor built to turn 9000+ rpms that is going into a Bonanza frame. Its not getting a torque converter so which centrifugal clutches will hold up to this type of punishment? I would prefer not to use a plate clutch. I have a hillard, the type with the outer housing being a separate piece than the clutch shoes, will that hold up? This bike uses 41 chain, will be offroad only and will be use for races and be rode just for fun as well.

I would contact Jim Donovan at Max Torque Clutches He is a wealth of knowledge and a very nice gentleman. He has helped other forum members with their special needs for clutches. Provide him with your engine specs and your performance needs. I would bet he already has a clutch for your needs or he can build one for you.
Michael
http://maxtorque.com/

joshua. c.

to massacre, a juggernaut is a torque converter and as I stated, the bonanza won't be getting one. Torque converters limit top end rpm. High end rpm is what this motor is built for so thats a no go. also full suspention bonanzas aren't set up well for torque converters.

I do have another bike better set up for a torque converter getting a very similar but less agresive engine (vintage 1970s coalman) that one will get a juggernaut and a yellow spring for the driven. (I have alot of project bikes right now).

and to creia I'll look into that if I cant find an adequate stock option.

There are quite a few built up mini bikes and racing karts turning high rpms out there so there must be several stock off the shelf clutch options avalable. Just so I am clear it dosn't have to be a cheep clutch I can splurge a little, I just don't want a plate clutch. I'll be playing in the dirt so it needs to be able to handle that.

From reading the description of the juggernaut, it seems to be designed for high RPMs. It uses weights and rollers just like my Polar clutch which runs 9000 rpm no problem.
Not sure what the suspension has do do with it, my MTD is full suspension and uses a torque converter with no issues.
You could look into a Bully or SMC clutch

to massacre, a juggernaut is a torque converter and as I stated, the bonanza won't be getting one. Torque converters limit top end rpm. High end rpm is what this motor is built for so thats a no go. also full suspention bonanzas aren't set up well for torque converters.

I do have another bike better set up for a torque converter getting a very similar but less agresive engine (vintage 1970s coalman) that one will get a juggernaut and a yellow spring for the driven. (I have alot of project bikes right now).

and to creia I'll look into that if I cant find an adequate stock option.

There are quite a few built up mini bikes and racing karts turning high rpms out there so there must be several stock off the shelf clutch options avalable. Just so I am clear it dosn't have to be a cheep clutch I can splurge a little, I just don't want a plate clutch. I'll be playing in the dirt so it needs to be able to handle that.
I’m curious what you mean by full suspension bonanzas are not set up well for TC??

what makes them not so special? I have a TC on two different models of bonanzas?

i had a TC on a super bronc full suspension…two gilsons full suspension…a stupid fucking rupp with a TC was full suspension…I can go in and on!?!

joshua. c.

Whather a juggernaut is good for high rpms or not isn't the issue its still not as good as a clutch for high revs, its a bigger heavyer drive train.

The reason this model bonanza isn't well set up for a torque converter is there isn't any room between the swing arm and jackshaft to fit the torque converter in between them, inside the jackshaft plate. you had to hang evertything to far out the left side of the bike by mounting it ouside the jackshaft plate. (not ideal) If this particular bike was built well for a torque converter this would not be an issue. There are plenty of frames out there like rupp, mtd, speedway, fox that are better set up for torque converters and they dont have this issue. im not saying you can't run one just it's not well set up well for one.

At the end of the day I just dont want a torque converter on this bike! why is that hard to understand? I have several bikes with them already including 3 future project bikes and I just don't want one to put on this bike this thread isn't a torque converter vs centrifugle thread I just need to know what brands of centrifugle can handle high rpms, without exploding thats it!

to massacre thank you for ther brand recomendation, I think those are plate clutches. Out of curiosity how well do those hold up after hours of off road use?

Disc clutches are great for drag racing but no good for any riding that requires a lot of slipping. Even centrifugal clutches require more maintenance (oil to the bushing ) when slipped a lot. My kart that has a predator and a max torque clutch gets so hot when the youngsters drive it just barely moving with the clutch slipping constantly turned the PTO end of the crank blue. Other than having to replace the bushing that clutch is still going strong 10 years later. I think a shoe clutch is your friend but check the max RPM rating. This is the clutch I was discussing. The next two are drag racers both use the Comet/Salsbury TC's that were used in the early days of Jr dragsters. They are rated to safely operate UP TO 8500 rpm. Only mentioning that as you made a statement that they limit RPM. The ones I have hold the engine to 7000 rpm until they are completely shifted up then its just like a clutch other than the parasitic drag and inertia of the TC which is more than a clutch. I have no idea what the limit RPM wise of the max torque but its been north of 7000 RPM a number of times.

Attachments

You might want to look into the clutch that comes on stock World Formula engines, my Dad uses one on his and it turns high RPMs. We changed out the springs to the orange springs i think.

fistfullabar

Disc clutches are great for drag racing but no good for any riding that requires a lot of slipping. Even centrifugal clutches require more maintenance (oil to the bushing ) when slipped a lot. My kart that has a predator and a max torque clutch gets so hot when the youngsters drive it just barely moving with the clutch slipping constantly turned the PTO end of the crank blue. Other than having to replace the bushing that clutch is still going strong 10 years later. I think a shoe clutch is your friend but check the max RPM rating. This is the clutch I was discussing. The next two are drag racers both use the Comet/Salsbury TC's that were used in the early days of Jr dragsters. They are rated to safely operate UP TO 8500 rpm. Only mentioning that as you made a statement that they limit RPM. The ones I have hold the engine to 7000 rpm until they are completely shifted up then its just like a clutch other than the parasitic drag and inertia of the TC which is more than a clutch. I have no idea what the limit RPM wise of the max torque but its been north of 7000 RPM a number of times.
Did you do a build thread on that speedway? Looks pretty sweet!