Been catching up on my R/C Aircraft projects & flying ,, this season.

LIVIT

Actually it was periwinkle, guys at the paint store got a laugh. I told em it was for my room…same my vision started messing with me. Id get one out there and lose perspective, have to wag the wings and just fly it in my head no panic. I always wanted to build a brushless boat. I loved the micros T 28 was my go to. Also had the larger T 28 which was a pleasure to fly.
Ha, ha, ha I'm sure they did. I had brushless boats hitting 100mph, was hard to keep them on the water. That T-28 was fun to fly, I had forgot about it. One of my favorite electrics was the Motion RC Spitfire, it was so smooth. I had way too many planes ! I had a 2 story 2 car garage, that you could not even put a motorcycle in, because of all the RC stuff. But I did have a really nice building area and spray booth. I think my passion for RC, is now gone into minis and offroad Karts.

You're right, covering was something that took a lot of time to learn and do. Mr. Pink has every right to be extremely proud of that award ! Do y'all remember using silk and coating it with dope, this was the way before iron on coverings.

River Rat Ron

@LIVIT Indeed on too many. One day I’m doing the math thinking…Ron you’re an addict. RC got ahold of me, billet this, 12 channel that it never ended. Until I started adding it up….sheez. And re sale..forget it..the worst.
I forgot about the Spitfire, all the old warbirds were so cool. The cloth and dope days were dying when I covered my first in 70 if I remember right. Hell we couldn’t afford a radio back then it was all control line for us poor folk.
Brother thanks for the memories and letting me gloat some….oh..I started to do the same with minis and go karts.
Yet when someone offers me 3x what I paid buh bye ..I have one mini that I’ve been working on for a year now.
Keep posting, I’m digging it….70 deg ? You must be in s cali or fla….bragger

River Rat Ron

@LIVIT Love to see a pic of your boat. Remember a YouTube years ago man that thing screamed.
It didn’t look real it was so fast. Did you have the sound module on that Spitfire ?
Always wondered if they actually worked

LIVIT

Ron I live in SC about 40 miles SW of Myrtle Beach. I own and operate a Surf and Bank fishing guide service here along with restoring and fixing minis, karts, old 2 stroke motorcycles etc.. lf you or anyone else from this forum wants to book me, I give members a discounted rate. It was 70 here today and then tomorrow high 40, welcome too SC :)

If you go back to page 3, I posted a bunch of pics. Some of my Boats and Planes. If you go to youtube lookup DJSRCstuff that's us testing some of the boats. I did not advertise or show my speeds too often, had too many of my competitors watching.

I did put a sound driver in my B-25, P-51 and P-47 I worked part time in a Hobby Shop, the pay from it, went right back into RC goodies. But that is why I worked there. Dang good thing I don't work in a mini or kart dealership !!!

Mark, glad your enjoying it my friend.

River Rat Ron

@LIVIT holy cow…them boats. Damn good thing I didn’t know you then, I’d been twice as broke.
Probably you I seen in the video….you had the bug much worse than I did by far, very impressed…cool stuff
I was teasing about the 70 deg….just jealous

Last edited:

LIVIT

@LIVIT you know as far as the boat leaving the water, why couldn’t you build a horizonal stab utilizing a gyro?
I did loads of R&D for RC stuff. Vehicles, Planes and Boats. I got into Helis for a short time and decided not worth the costs fast. Problem with using a Horizontal stab "Air Foil" is with such a small platform going fast so quickly. It could actually make the boat dive or go airborne even worse. I was designing a Foil for a drag boat that actually changed the angle of attack during acceleration. This boat was very light, constructed of just Carbon Fiber and was around 42" long if I'm remembering correctly. It was projected to go from 0-120 mph or so in 4-7 seconds. That's screaming, and getting up there fast. Problem was getting the angle on foil to change as fast proportionately. On other boats that I was setting up for record speed runs, I tried front and rear foils. They worked but only up to certain speeds, depending on hull, size etc.. They also often slowed the boat down, they caused the bow to submarine or could even make it lift too much, then you had one flipping at high speeds. I cannot tell you how many times I had to go out and collect pieces :) But that was part of it. I do miss it, but glad I have vids to watch. Wish I had recorded some of my electric ducted fan jets going over 200mph !!!!

I74

[QUOTE="LIVIT, post: 1304370, member: 75776"

Do y'all remember using silk and coating it with dope, this was the way before iron on coverings.[/QUOTE]

Ugh yea . o_O:p:D

River Rat Ron

My all time fav Warbirds are the MK IX Spit. & the F4 Phantom !! :cool:;)

P/S,,

Glad to see you up here River Rat Ron ! :)

Ian
Thanks man….damn the Phantom 4 forgot about that a favorite jet Also the Warthog A 10.
Sold all my RC stuff about 5 years ago….forgot a lot already…old age

River Rat Ron

Just seen this post Ron.

No I haven't checked out that program ''yet''.

Really think it's going to get ''very interesting'' here in the mid west this year with severe weather …….
Indeed, Midwest guy mysef, always watching storms. Anyway a local tv weather guy turned me onto the program.

It’s expensive, use to have a trial version, if so then search google for a polling addy. A bit of a learning curve. Once you start using it you can move thru a storm in 3D and filter isolating hail cores, rotation etc… It’s pretty wicked.

http://www.grlevelx.com/manuals/gr2analyst/

8C6E05C7-68FE-42D8-A23A-DCE349CDBC4B.gif

Last edited:

I74

Got 2 ''highly collectable'' vintage Radio Shack - Porsche R/C cars on the way.... :)

One's a 962C, & the same as the one on the top shelf in the Pawn shop in the movie ''Pulp fiction''.
It's the yellow & black one, & from the late 80's.
I had one then also,, & always kicked myself for trading it,, & always wanted another one,, to convert to brushless,, or a ''hobby grade'' brushed set up,, with either being powered by 2 or 3s Lipo's.
Already ordered a 60a brushed ESC for it,, & digital metal gear servos for ''both'' cars.

The other car is the 1996 Porsche GT1,, in the scheme when Porsche came 1 & 2 that year @ the 2hr. of Le Mans. :cool:

That ones getting a 5800kv brushless set up, on 2s. :p

Both will be also run on Hobby grade radio gear.

I know they were classified as basically ''Toy'' cars,, but are really cool,, & prime for hobby grade up grades. ;)

Will post again of the upgrade conversions on those down the road …….

I

I74

Indeed, Midwest guy mysef, always watching storms. Anyway a local tv weather guy turned me onto the program. It’s expensive, use to have a trial version, then search google for a polling addy. A bit of a learning curve. Once you start using it you can move thru a storm in 3D and filter isolating hail cores. It’s pretty wicked.

http://www.grlevelx.com/manuals/gr2analyst/

View attachment 298504

That's frigg'n cool !!

Maybe you can post some of these models of our actual events this season,, around my neck of the woods. ;)

River Rat Ron

That's frigg'n cool !!

Maybe you can post some of these models of our actual events this season,, around my neck of the woods. ;)
Well unfortunately I had my internet shut down. Century Link is a joke I was barely getting 5meg. downloads. In the dial up days I barely got 16 bps. I’m in the sticks …With these huge files now it was useless. I’m relinquished to an iPad via hotspot. And I didn’t like windows 10 so it was time to cut the net