Your views on Kohler

Rock

I want to hear about people that either own...or have owned a Kohler engine.
No....I don't have nothin bad to say about them.It's just that I never hear
anybody talk about them.So...give me your views.
Rock

65ShelbyClone

Hang out in the garden tractor pulling circles and you'll hear plenty about Kohlers, especially the old iron-blocked K-series. Vogel Manufacturing makes a lot of parts for them. You can even get aftermarket iron blocks. They are, IMO, some of the best engines out there. I think even Hondas are less expensive, though.

The XKE overhead valve was well thought-of, although not that popular in the F200 kart class. It was more substantial of engine than its competitors like the GX200, OHH65, and Intek/Animal/World Formula/whatever. Only Briggs and Honda have survived the brand wars. Tecumseh went under completely and I'm not surprised after seeing the insides of an OHH65.

I have had a couple of old Wheelhorse with the K series engine, They run great on the small tractors. I have a 73 K series, 10hp Wheelshorse 10 auto at my Dads that been in the family for almost 30 years. runs great still. It was overhauled in 92.

Rock

Thanks guys.What do you think about the relatively new engine from Kohler.......
the CH 270-0011? And also...how would you rate Kohler? Better than Briggs and Tecumseh.....or not?Also tell me about dependability and quality.
Shelby Clone......I know what you mean about the insides of "some" of the Tecumseh models.Take the Oh 195 XA model.Internal governor has plastic gears.Now that kinda shit blows my mind.I could go on and on.....but you guys know what I am talkin about.

Rock

65ShelbyClone

I would put the newer, smaller Kohlers like the CH270 in the same league as Honda, Subaru, Kawasaki, or Briggs & Stratton's more expensive Vanguard series. I would rate most small Tecumsehs as one step above a Honda clone.

Unfortunately there is little to no aftermarket for anything but the XKE or the K-series flatheads. Even the XKE's aftermarket is limited to an extremely small pool of old F200 parts.

The CH270 would make a good governed mini engine IMO.

james c

i bought these kohlers that im planning on using on something, there are two 25 hps and two 20 hps, i got one running so far, seem to be a great engine. very pricey! but super heavy duty. even have oil pumps and oil coolers

My father was Kohler distributor when i was a kid, and anything that comes out of that company is top notch, with solid support behind it. I don't know anything about their engines per-se, but I would guess that they are well built based on my experience with that company.

Kohler makes a hell of a good engine.. The old iron motors will for ever.. They burn up rings and WILL blow up if you run them hard with no oil, about like anything.. The newer aluminum vert motors may not be AS solid as the old iron motors.. But an iron Kohler is a hell of a good engine.. Not a high winding light weight mini bike motor so much but are heavy luggers and will put along for decades.. :thumbsup:

Rock

Thats what I thought you guys would say.You people seem to know your engines.I haven't had one person ever talk bad about a kohler.Do you guys know that Kohler
does it's best to get your engine to you the very next day if your order is in by 10.00 A.M. They have the best customer service ever.OPE engines .com.Free shipping.And no tax because their located in Oregon which is a no tax state.So if anyone is interested,thats the place to order from.They always upgrade your shipping order to fed-x
door delivery.Is there anybody out there that does have,or had a complaint about Kohler?
And Korndog I bet your dad had, or has had, great things to say about the people he worked for.You say top notch??????????? I will co-sign that message all day long.Like your Dad.....I also know the ins and out's of that well built engine.Thanks again guys for your input.
Rock

65ShelbyClone

Is there anybody out there that does have,or had a complaint about Kohler?
I had a K301 (12hp flathead) in an early/mid '60s Cushman Truckster that developed a crack in the block radiating outward from the head bolt hole over the exhaust port. Total junk; it only took 30 years for that to happen....and after the first overhaul, no less. :rolleyes:

:wink:

Last edited:
My cousin got 2nd in '67-69 unrestored' at Waconia '08 with a '68 Cougar....not sure his was a Kohler, tho....no pics...I fail!

Still got my K91 on the Zebra...starts everytime and runs great, but it sure ain't rev-happy! No pullstart, so that sucks...I start with a drill motor with no problems. Recoils are WAY expensive....IF you can find one...

Yeah Shelby Clone.....I am 58 years old....and I do have pleasant memories of the old
Kohler engines.The K301 flathead....now that was a hard hittin engine.Durabilty and quality when it comes to Kohler.
And James C.....Looks like you got a grab bag of Kohlers to keep things running.
Also....on the page where you click on what engines you would like to talk about like
Briggs,Tecumseh.Honda/clones..........why isn't there Kohler name for the guys to click on and talk about their stories? I bet Korn Dog's dad had a few Kohlers laying around in the garage when he was a kid.Yeah......the good days :)

Jessie.....
Every engine brand sometime, somehow,will give you a headache.I know all of us have gone through that.But it seems Kohler has more good than bad.

65ShelbyClone

Also....on the page where you click on what engines you would like to talk about like
Briggs,Tecumseh.Honda/clones..........why isn't there Kohler name for the guys to click on and talk about their stories?
That's where the iron blocks and high prices come in; I don't think any minibikes were factory-equipped with Kohlers.

Yeah...your're right there.Most of all the Kohlers were for tractors and stuff.Guess I kinda
forgot about the mini-bike thing for a minute.But like I said yesterday,that 7 h.p. Ch 270
would run a mini bike just about right.What do you think guys?
Hey.....Liked the picture of the Artic Cat.I was 18 back then.....I remember them well.
Start it with a drill.......now thats old school :)